6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 5:02 PM by gpaaib5

Software Licensing Question.

gpaaib5

Does Adobe Allow those individuals that has legal Photoshop lincensing on PC, to have it transferred to MAC? I've been using PS since 6.0 but now have decided to go Mac.

• 1. Re: Software Licensing Question.
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You need to contact Adobe and get the version for the Mac. The is a nominal charge involved when changing platforms. Why are you changing to a Mac?

• 2. Re: Software Licensing Question.
            gpaaib5 Level 1

A friend of mine does a lot of editing in the field (the field usually being a Starbucks) and uses a newer Mac Book Pro. The images turn out awesome. His work has convinced me.

• 3. Re: Software Licensing Question.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, the cost of a Cross-grade (from one platform to another) has typically been the version upgrade price.

Now, if you have PS on a PC, and Cross-grade to a Mac, you will loose your PC license.

Perhaps, a Creative Cloud subscription, which is X-platform, would be the better solution.

Good luck, and do contact Adobe Customer Support for the definitive answer.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Software Licensing Question.
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The steps required for a platform swap are here

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/order-product-platform-language-swap.htm l

Only the current version (CS6) can be swapped without requiring you to purchase a cross-grade.

As Bill suggests, a Cloud membership may be a good option for you since you can activate it on Mac and/or Windows for the same monthly fee.

Another option may be Photoshop Elements. Unlike Photoshop, the PSE serial number is cross-platform. No platform swaps required for PSE.

That said, there should be nothing stopping you getting identical results in Photoshop on Mac or Windows. The Retina display on the MacBook may be visually stunning. What do those same images look like on your PC?

Is your workflow and technique the same as your friend's?

• 5. Re: Software Licensing Question.
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

gpaai wrote:

A friend of mine does a lot of editing in the field (the field usually being a Starbucks) and uses a newer Mac Book Pro. The images turn out awesome. His work has convinced me.

I do not believe its the OS, the machine, or Photoshop version that make your friend images turn out awesome.  See if he will let you try his machine. See how well you do on his mac. There not much of a difference in the way Photoshop operates on a Mac then on a PC. However it is hard to find a Laptop PC with a good display.  Most PC laptops have TN LCD which are not well suited for Image Processing.

• 6. Re: Software Licensing Question.
                    gpaaib5 Level 1

That's kind of my point. I want to start editing on sight, but have gone through 2 laptops unimpressed. I did in fact, edit one of his images on his machine and was pretty happy with the results.