• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I save as TIFF or PSD?

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been going 'round in circles trying to decide whether to set my Lightroom external editing pref's for Photoshop as PSD or TIFF. I've very recently downloaded Photoshop - I'll be using it after I've done what I can in Lightroom, just for photo's - I've never used 'layers'

1) Can anyone advise which might be best - I read somewhere that PSD might be easier (or necessary) if I need to re-edit. I also read PSD could be a good idea as it would be easy to see which is the master edit, and which files have been saved as TIFF, for print say

2) I also read that you should never flatten a file, at least not until you need to (ie: save as TIFF for print) - any thoughts?

3) My thoughts (mixed up though they may be!) are to say edit layers etc in PS (either TIFF or PSD) then just press 'save', but not flatten layers (I understand the PSD or TIFF will then be alongside my original raw file back in Lightroom, as LR/PS automatically does this). Then say for print I would then  'save as' a TIFF (ie: for printing), or JPEG (ie: for web), and this would automatically flatten the file. If this is correct, say I started off with the un-flattened PSD for example, would I need to firstly make a copy of the PSD, or would just doing a 'save as' still keep the original PSD 'master file'? Also, after I say did a 'save as' for a TIFF, could I then just delete the TIFF and do another 'save as' if I wanted to do another print in the future, or better to just keep the TIFF in Lightroom alongside the raw, master PSD or TIFF / JPEG?

4) I won't be doing huge amounts in Photoshop, so would it be worth looking into using 'smart images / smart filters' - I'm just thinking that if document is not being flattened anyway would it be worthwhile?

Sorry about all the questions, but the more I read the more confused I become - I'm the sort of person who likes to know what they are doing before they do it if that makes sense (probably not!!)

Thanks, Roy

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my thoughts...

1. You are a bit confused and I wonder how you can determine a file is a PSD or a TIF by looking at it?  Not all print drivers can recognize PSD's, but can recognize TIF ( this means almost all output devices can interpret TIF's no problem ).  That said, PSD's can manage layers better than TIF's which add to file size each layer you include in the TIF.

2. Never say never.  This all depends on the file's use.  Layered TIFs can add complexity in which a print driver can or cannot deal with.  As you work on an image, you may want to merge layers for whatever reason(s) and you always have the option to flatten whenever you feel like it.  However, It is also a good idea to dupe the file as you move along.  That means you always have a layered version to fall back on should you need to edit later on.  I also Place transparent PSDs in Illustrator files with no problems.  But, I save as EPS in Illustrator and when I do that, then the file is automatically flattened.  This is perhaps what the internet was talking about.

3.  Yes, see number 2 above.  There's no such thing as automatic flattening of TIFFs.  Again, this all depends on the printer and whether or not it can print while retaining original layers.  Some do, some don't.  Most of the time, I edit in PSD with layers intact.  Then, when I prep the file for printing, I will save a copy as a flattened TIFF so the file streamlines through the RIP and Print process.

4.  Makes no difference.  Use 'em if you've got 'em.

Try to get some good resource material at a library or college bookstore or barnes & noble.  Also, get Adobe's Print Publishing Guide.  This is a good reference guide.

Message was edited by: John Danek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, very helpful. Just to clarify a couple of things:

1) What I meant (or the article I read meant) was that a PSD file will show PSD in the filename, and a saved TIFF would show the TIFF extension - therefore from looking at the filename it would be obvious which is the master file and which has been saved for print etc.

Would you suggest PSD or TIFF for editing raw files brought in from Lightroom?

3) Say I took a Lightroom file to Photoshop and set external (Photoshop) pref's to use PSD (or TIFF), and say called this my master-edited file, but didn't flatten it ever

What I was asking was that, if I were to the decide I need a TIFF or JPEG for printing or web, would I need to firstly save a copy of the master-edited file, and then save as TIFF/JPEG via 'save as', or just 'save as' straight from the master-edited file. I mean I'm worried that if I didn't save master-edited file first, that it might overwrite/flatten the master file?

Thanks, Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I understand what you meant now ( #1 ).

In reference to #3 above, when you have the .psd file open and you do a Save As > .tif; the file is saved as a .tif and the .psd is left alone for future edits.  Because the extension is changed, a new file is created.

In regards to editing RAW files as .psd or .tif; it doesn't really matter.  But, for your personal workflow, you could very well edit in .psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, that is clear now. Very helpful

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to this question is really based on personal choice. John has done a good job explaining the virtues of each. For me it's really simple. PSD means layered working file and TIFF means flattened for printing. I've been using this workflow since before TIFF files could contain all the layered info that PSD files could, so it naturally makes sense to me. I like that the file extension tells me everything I need to know, without having to open the file.

There are other ways to deal with this though. Some people prefer saving both their layered, and flattened files as TIFFs. They use an extension like 'M' in the file name to identify the file as a layered 'Master' file instead of the extension .psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that confuses the issue. The idea that a TIFF means a flattened file for printing is ancient.

Modern TIFFs can be saved with all the layers. I have yet to have anyone give me a reasonable explanation as to why you would save anything as a PSD anymore.

From a post going back as far as late 2007:

PSD is now a bastardized file format that is NOT a good idea to use. Even the Photoshop engineers will tell you that PSD is no longer the Photoshop "native" file format. It has no advantages and many disadvantages over TIFF.
TIFF is publicly documented, PSD is not. That makes TIFF a preferred file format for the long term conservation of digital files.
And, let me be blunt, anybody who thinks PSD is "better" than TIFF is ignorant of the facts. If Adobe would let them, the Photoshop engineers would tell you to quit using PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a reason:

PSD files remain transparent when dropped into InDesign but TIF files lose transparency.

Illustrator seems to not have that issue and TIF files remain transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's an option in Photoshop Save as TIF dialog to 'save transparency' and it works in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines