24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2013 9:22 AM by JSS1138 RSS

Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?

msp1518 Community Member

I'm stumped. Every time I try to use Adobe Dynamic Link to open a project in Encore from Premiere Pro, I get the dread (Not Responding) window.

Today I have rebooted my system a dozen times and each and every time I try again, it starts to load and then POOF, it just locks up.

This is a large file. It's one single video file in 1080p24 that lasts just over 2 hours. But I hve a pretty powerful PC and this shouldn't be happening.

I'm on CS5 Production Premium in Windows 7.

No doubt this has happened from timeto time with other projects, but a reboot would usually clear up the problem.

UPDATE: This is crazy. An older version without chapter markers (in Prempro) opens. But the version WITH chapter markers will not. But I need those chapter markers. Very confused.

• 1. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Where in the process does it hang? Do you see the Encore splash screen? Does it get to the Encore new project screen? Does it show processing of the sequence itself as an asset into Encore?

To narrow it down, open Encore, and dynamic link from that end to the sequence (with chapters - now that you know that may be an issue).

• 2. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
            msp1518 Community Member

I don't understand the specifics of your question as far as assets, etc. It hangs right here (see attached image). The floating window thing comes up and I type in the name I want it to be. At that point it starts importing and when it reaches 100% it just hangs and never unhangs. I left it for nearly an hour at one point, hoping it would eventually load. But it was just locked up.

I've cleared media, or whatever that's called. I can only load a much older version of my project (which crashes when I try to add chapters in Encore - and default every 5 minute chapters is not my preference).

Sorry, I also am not sure what you mean by your instructions. I only know one way to open the project via Dynamic Link, which is go to file, dynamic link, send to encore.

Encore_dammit.jpg

• 3. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
              JSS1138 Community Member

I would recommend skipping Dynamic Link and exporting usable assets out of PP.

• 4. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                msp1518 Community Member

Jim, I'm not a pro like you guys. I really won't have a clue what you mean here without specifics.

One option I have is creating a Blu-Ray using TsMuxer and ImgBurn (that's what my online friends without CS5 say). But I am lost as far as how to export the needed H.264 file.

With TsMuxer I import the video, the audio and the .SRT file and it outputs the correct file structure. From there ImgBurn can be used to burn my BD25.

If I can have help with that, terrific. But with Premiere Pro I see TWO options for H.264 and neither look correct to me.

One would have an .MP4 extension. The other a .m4v which I have never heard of. WTH is an M4V? That is not a fyle type I have ever seen with high def video, TsMuxer, etc.

Also, I absolutely do NOT want to encode/compress TWICE. That would just result in more compression artifacts.

Since Encore is so crud with SRT files this may be my best option. But I don't know what settings to choose on exporting my video (I have spent my entire day on this. Since 9 AM).

My audio is not an issue. I have the PCM file I need at the proper 48khz.

• 5. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                  JSS1138 Community Member

Use an appropriate H.264 Blu-ray preset.  You'll get a video file (.m4v) and an audio file (.wav) for use in Encore.

• 6. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                    Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Hanging at that point for so long is not a good sign for getting dynamic link to work.

To decide whether to abandon Encore, whether you abandon dynamic link or not, open Encore, when prompted, create a bluray project, then use "File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import Premiere Pro  Sequence. Navigate to  your Premiere PROJECT and click on it ON THE LEFT. PIck the sequence on the right and click okay.

Report your results.

"H.264 Bluray" is the export preset you want, but be aware there was a bug in CS5 for the VBR 2 pass option that caused issues for some users.

• 7. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                      msp1518 Community Member

Guys, yes, I have read about the VBR 2 pass thing. So Adobe never fixed it? Good grief.

I will try as instructed and report back, but is there a way I can export the proper BD video file to use in a non-adobe program, such as TsMuxer? That would allow me to use the subtitle srt file I want to include.

• 9. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                        msp1518 Community Member

Jim, that would seem obvious, will that pre-set result in my having to encode TWICE if I use TsMuxer or someother non-Adobe program? I've never seen a M4V extension and that's what that export setting will give me as a video file. Again, two encodings means compression upon compression. My original source was H.264 so it' bad enough I have to re-encode that.

I tried as Stan recommended and it went fine, sort of. I've no Timeline, audio or video. When I click to make a new timeline I see no way of adding my video or audio. Please see attached image.

I've no clue how to proceed. Baffled! God, my back hurts. Been at this for 13+ hours now. Only came here when I knew I was completely lost. Thank you for helping.

Encore02.jpg

• 10. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                          JSS1138 Community Member

The files from that preset should not need reencoding in any authoring program.

• 11. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                            Stan Jones CommunityMVP

the VBR 2 pass thing. So Adobe never fixed it?

It is fixed in CS6. If you read some of the posts, it was not a single issue, and could be avoided, even for vbr 2 pass material for many conditions.

• 12. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                              msp1518 Community Member

Jim, I am going to quit for the night and let my PC go ahead and export the video and we'll see in the morning.

To all, I would appreciate tutoring in how I can proceed with the Encore thing Stan described. Was I on the right track and just need to do a few more things?

I wish I had money to upgrade, but alas, I do not.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                msp1518 Community Member

UPDATE 2.

The M4V file I outputted using H.264 Blu-Ray was recognized by TsMuxer. So I dropped it in, along with my uncompressed PCM file and the subtitle track i wanted and ten minutes later... BD Folder structure!

Of course ImgBurn saw it as just over 25 GB, so I have to do it all over again at 23 MBPS instead of 24.5. But such is life.

My Encore clearly cannot handle this sort of thing and that means I need to upgrade to CS6 when I can, but thank God I still can create the output I need via another method.

UPDATE 1:

Overnight had Premiere create two exports.

The first using the H.264 Blu-Ray setting, which gave me two files. A video with the the M4V extension and audio with .AC3 extension (although I picked PCM so that is confusing).

The second export used the H.264 1080p video only setting and about one hour ago it just stopped with 00:00:01 remaining. It still has .01 remaining. I'm assumoing it will never finish.

When I try to open the .M4V in VLC, nothing hapens. Nothing plays. Thefile itself is 22.2GB in size.

There is also a file called 27304932.m4v in that folder and it is the same size, but it also will not play. I have not a clue where that file came from.

At the moment I am really stumped by all of this. I will see what happens if I try to use the m4v in Adobe Encoder, but will I need to re-encode?

One possible solution: What would you guys think about my outputting video from Premiere as lossless and then using a non Adobe program to create the needed video file for TsMuxer? Or could TsMuxer use the lossless? This stuff is a learning process for me.

If lossless, what codec? An AVI would be the size of this planet, right? Or no? Lagarith is not truly lossles, so I would have to compress for Lagarith and then again for the BD, correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you might give.

media_notfinished.jpg

• 14. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                  JSS1138 Community Member

When I try to open the .M4V in VLC, nothing hapens. Nothing plays.

That's normal.  You'll need this for M4V playback.

http://www.digiarty.com/

• 15. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                    Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

That's not normal.  I can play M4V files in VLC without issue.

Jeff

EDIT: I can play M4V files that aren't created by Premiere Pro in VLC without issue.  No idea why VLC doesn't like Pr's M4V output.

• 16. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                      msp1518 Community Member

Jim, that link doesn't seem to work.

I can report some good news. TsMuxer took the exported video, plus my wave audio and the subtitles ands muxed together a BD folder structure, which I then burned to ImgBurn. The BD is playing in my system right now.

So it's a round about way and I only have chapters every 5 minutes (as opposed to exactly where i want them) but at least I have something. I'm greatly releaved.

• 17. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?

Some Googling resulted in cautions concerning DAPlayer and Digiarty:

Digiarty has some nice software but they are not a company to be trusted. That's kind of a double standard coming from me because I post their freebies all the time (see my front page deals). I would not let them have my credit card number nor would I let any software update. They have a history of having several different company names under the same umbrella or affiliations with other companies- Wondershare, WinX, etc. Their more well known notorious works include giveawayoftheday products where they spam the votes to make it look like they have thousands of positive votes. They also spam forums with their page links and product info. That's kinda kids' stuff that is not so bad- just more annoying than anything.

Then there's the other problems, rumors, allegations, etc that the company has been involved in-

1. affiliated with Iobit, the company caught stealing signatures from Malwarebytes

2. their dvd ripper is allegedly cracked versions of Slyfox brand

3. affiliated wwith SoThink company, the ones who allegedly had the Firefox add-on trojan earlier this year

About all the above is just rumor except for the forum spamming/vote rigging. So proceed at your own risk. I would think there are capable free movie viewers available besides this one though, maybe VLC or MPC, although I suppose the ability to remove region restrictions would be a plus. If I were you though I would run the Digiarty player with limited right or in a sandbox and only update if really needed.

Use DAPlayer at your own risk.

Jeff

• 18. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                          JSS1138 Community Member

No idea why VLC doesn't like Pr's M4V output.

Because they're Blu-ray compliant.  So far, DA Player is the only free software I've found that can play BD video files.  Been using it for about a year without issue.

• 19. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?

Because they're Blu-ray compliant

I'm not sure about that.  VLC won't play back unrestricted M4V files from Pr either.  Additionally, x264 "--bluray -compat" .mp4 files play back just fine in VLC.

Jeff

• 20. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                              msp1518 Community Member

I can play some, but not others. Not sure why. But it's not an issue for me now. I have the project finished and am VERY grateful for all who helped.

As for installing anything I am unsure of... No way. Too risky.

• 21. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                                JSS1138 Community Member

Additionally, x264 "--bluray -compat" .mp4 files play back just fine in VLC.

Curious.  Mine coming from the Xvid4PSP front end (using the same switch) won't.

• 22. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?

What version of VLC?  I'm on 2.0.6.  That version also fixed a bug where ALAC audio files wouldn't play.  I used the latest version of MeGUI as an open-source front end just for these tests, and it uses x264 core 130 r2273.

This thread is starting to wander off-topic, so if anyone thinks it needs to be continued I can branch it to one of the lounges.

Jeff

• 23. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                                    msp1518 Community Member

I have 2.0.0 so I think I had best upgrade.

• 24. Re: Trouble with Dynamic link to Encore. Program locks up. Ideas?
                                                      JSS1138 Community Member

My mistake.  My front end actually creates .mts files, not .m4v, which are playable in multiple players.