5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 5:31 PM by Brett N RSS

Adding video clips to slide project

toepfer Community Member

I am using Elements 10 and do a lot of editing in slide show projects. I want to add video clips that are iin my catalog to my slide project. Every time I click on video clips it tells me I have to go to Premiere to activate. Is there a simpler way? I usually don't go to Premiere until I want to burn a disc and don't know how to do this. I don't need to edit the video clips. 

• 1. Re: Adding video clips to slide project
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Premiere Elements shouldn't be required to add video files to a slideshow, only to export that slideshow to DVD. However, if you are using MPEG based video files, you may need Premiere Elements to activate a compatible codec. What type of video files are you trying to work with?

• 2. Re: Adding video clips to slide project
            toepfer Community Member

For quick videos, I use a Sony Cybershot camera with their Sony Memory Stick ProDuo. I just checked the video files. They are MP4. What can I do now?

• 3. Re: Adding video clips to slide project
              Brett N Adobe Employee

MP4 is an MPEG based video format. Do you have Premiere Elements or something else that will install a compatible MPEG codec? The one we use is created by MainConcept. Something similar to this would be required. Are you able to play these files in Windows Media Player (this is the technology that the slideshows in Elements are based on). Being able to play the videos in any other player doesn't matter (many players have special codecs that are only used by that player itself and are not shared with the rest of the computer).

• 4. Re: Adding video clips to slide project
                toepfer Community Member

Brett, I didn't continue with the discussion because of a serious illness in the family. I do have Premiere Elements but have no idea how to install the compatible MPEG codec. And then what?? I haven't found anyone who knows how to do this and can't find anything written on this. Can you help me through the process. It's very important to me to be able to add these video clips to the short slide show because  they are of my late husband. Do you know of anyone on the outside who can help me with this?

• 5. Re: Adding video clips to slide project
                  Brett N Adobe Employee

When you install Premiere Elements, you automatically get the MPEG codec we use (MainConcept). You may have also installed additional MPEG codecs in a similar fashion without knowing it. Having multiple different codecs on a system can cause conflicts. So although you have the codec that makes MPEG files work with Adobe products, you may also have another codec which the system is using as its primary that doesn't work with Adobe.

Are you able to play the files in another application? If you double-click on one of the files, what application do they open in. This default application may be the source of additional codecs.