6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 3:33 AM by GeoffVane

Shatter not working with sliders

GeoffVane Level 1

I made an automated pie chart.

With slider you can set the pie chart slices size.

(It's based on a circular wipe.)

The 2D pie chart should be 3D.

The new CS6 3D engine does not enable wiping for 3D objects.

So I reverted to the "Shatter method" to extrude the pie chart.

EVERYTHING worked...

Until I gave the sliders some keyframes.

The shatter effect does not animate it's data when the slice sliders get keyframes.

How can this be?

• 1. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand enough about your project. What are the sliders attached to? How are you defining your pie chart? What are you trying to animate?We need a screenshot that shows everything in the timeline, your sliders, and your expressions.

• 2. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
            GeoffVane Level 1

The problem is quite simple. I've narrowd it down.

If you create a custom shape shatter (just to make things 3D) you'll run into problem if the custom shape is wiped with keyframes. No matter how.

• 3. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That is to be expected. The shape cannot chnage over time. Whatever "wipe" you are trying to achieve will have to be done using the effects' internal force system, possibly complemented by custom gradient maps.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
                GeoffVane Level 1

It did not seem to be expected to me. It all worked when I used the sliders or wipe percentages manually. Only when they were key framed, shatter stopped to function. I wonder if a prerendered animation also won't work.  But that would take away all flexibility of the pie chart project. Then again, I solved the problem by using the old fashioned method of duplicating layers many times to create the 3D look. It works fine and it looks good.

• 5. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are looking to animate the wedges of a pie chart and extrude them the process is fairly straight forward. It involves a shape layer with an ellipse, radial wipe, auto trace, selecting all of the keyframes for the auto traced mask that is created, a new shape layer created with the pen tool (the path can be any shape) and paste. Take a quick look at this:

This took me about 2 minutes. You could then use time remapping to adjust the timing of animation if needed.

EDIT: The first encoding pass was horrible. This video should be available in a few minutes.

• 6. Re: Shatter not working with sliders
                    GeoffVane Level 1

Rick, thanks for the response.

That is an impressive function I never understood: Auto trace.

I learned something new today. I never knew what to do with that option.

The technique seems great for one chart.

You got to let the function tace the animation and then I guess the result is no longer adjustable. It seems a sampling kind of plugin.

However, the thingy I made is more dynamic: just by typing in new values, you can animate a whole new graph very fast.

It's not top notch, especially when the parts are thin but it's as handy as I could make it myself.