10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 12:59 PM by A.T. Romano

blank screen

rossvandy1

when i import a video, it won't show it on the editing screen until i click into it and then it won't show motion - it will play sound but not the video

• 1. Re: blank screen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using and on which operating system? When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? You can see your current project settings under the Edit menu.

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

• 2. Re: blank screen
            rossvandy1 Level 1

using gopro video shot at high resolution

i have premiere elements II, which was working fine for weeks then the workspace section area went blank

i am using general in settings

i have an Intel core 7 processor with 8 gig of ram

i will note that out of the blue, when the program starts up it says:

we have detected an incompatible display driver, to get a beter and faster playback performance, please update your display driver display driver details: Intel-Intel(R)HD Graphics Family 3.0.0 build 8.15.10.2342

what is confusing is that the display driver was working fine and now it says it isn't, plus it have gone to the net and it says i have the latest driver

i unistalled premier and then re-installed the program, stoped my virus software but it has not solved the problem

the sound timeline plays but the video is blank, when i click into it it shows a still frame shot but when i select the forward arrow it goes blank again

• 3. Re: blank screen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rossvandy1

If you are assured via your computer Device Manager/Display Adapter information and online search findings that your video card driver is up to date, then try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. For Windows 7 and 8 64 bit, that file can be found via the route:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

A classical cure all for unexplained unwanted Premiere Elements events is deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which can be found in Windows 7 or 8 via the route:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs that you delete.

Have you considered uninstalling and then reinstalling the video card driver?

Is the problem restricted to all video or just one particular video file source? Does the same problem exist if you are importing photos?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: blank screen
                the_wine_snob Level 9

i will note that out of the blue, when the program starts up it says:

we have detected an incompatible display driver, to get a beter and faster playback performance, please update your display driver display driver details: Intel-Intel(R)HD Graphics Family 3.0.0 build 8.15.10.2342

That message probably tells the tale. Your video driver is no longer functioning perfectly with PrE, which needs to interface with that driver, more than almost any other program, that you are likely to have. It could be that something so simple, as an OS update, or hot-fix, has rendered your video driver obsolete.

I would go to the Intel Web site, and check whether they have a newer video driver for your embedded chip, and your OS. If so, download and install that. Note: if you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, or another major computer mfgr's. computer, check their Web sites, as many will re-write the drivers to match with their version of hardware and OS.

Intel makes great chips, but their video driver support has been horrible. For that reason, I do not recommend an Intel graphics chip. If one has a desktop, and an open slot, they are served best by turning OFF the Intel chip, an installing an nVidia, or AMD/ATI card, which will have much, much better driver support. If one has a laptop, they are basically stuck with the embedded Intel chip, and the poor driver support. Such a laptop can be great for general computing, but are poor choices for a video editing (even Photoshop CS 6 requires great video driver interfacing, and thus support).

For more info, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/948651?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: blank screen
                  JMJarrige

Often, the operation of deleting Baddrivers.txt file is the solution.

You have it mentioned in Bill's link.

Bon courage.

JM

• 6. Re: blank screen
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

JM,

That is certainly a big part of the equation, but if one has not updated the driver, itself, I suspect that a new BadDrivers.TXT file will just be created. The OP can certainly try just that step, and test whether things improve.

Hunt

• 7. Re: blank screen
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JMJarriage

For me that BadDriver.txt file deletion was the answer to my Premiere Elements 9 display problem which started that chain of events that first highlighted the role of the BadDrivers.txt file in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and some other versions as well.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

Thanks to Adobe's Dakska123 for the tip at that time in 2010.

True the classical route is first make sure that you have the video card driver up to date, but, if it is, second is cherchez the BadDrivers.txt file.

ATR

• 8. Re: blank screen
                        rossvandy1 Level 1

After updating the windows operating system, i proceeded to search intel (auto detect did not work - it said i had the most recent driver) for updates to the 3000 series and found an intell update available this march. I downloaded this and installed and

IT WORKED - YEH

After many, many, many, frustrating hours the problem was solved thanks to the support group and now back to fun

I was on the right track originally looking for updated drivers, I was just given a red herring using auto-detect

• 9. Re: blank screen
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

I had suspected the worst, but Intel proved me wrong - but I am happy to be wrong in this instance.

As you found out, the OS video driver (and audio driver too) update utility, is off, and usually by about 6 mos.. The same for most of the driver update utilities - they are just not current. That is why we always strongly recommend that users do not bother with those, and go to the "source," the mfgr's. Web site.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: blank screen
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rossvandy1

Thanks for the follow up with the great, great news.

Congratuations on your stick-to-it-tiveness and success.

ATR