7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 7:05 AM by Hypnotic88

New CS6 Workstation Build

Hypnotic88

Hey guys,

i want to build a new cs6 production suite workstation, ready for RED Epik 5K footage.

Does this setup work or do you find some terrible mistakes? Do you got advise for improvements?

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Power Supply: Cougar GX1050

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti SuperClocked

RAM: G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR3-1600

SSD (OS & Programs): Samsung 840 Pro series 2,5" 256 GB

SSD (Cache & Scratch): Samsung 840 Pro series 2,5" 256 GB

HDD (Exports): Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB)

Raid-Controller: areca ARC-1882LP

Raid(5)-Array: 6 x Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB)

Blu-Ray Recorder: Pioneer BDR-208DBK

I'm not sure about the compatibility of the Motherboard and RAM.

Also I don't know if the raid-array with the 2TB-hdds works.

Thank you very much for you input!

• 1. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
          Hypnotic88 Level 1

I want to buy and build this setup the upcomming week.

Does anyone of you guys see a problem?

A simple “it should work“ would make me feel a lot more confident  ;-)

Thank you!

• 2. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
            JEShort01 Level 4

Hypnotic,

I think your build list is a good one and will serve your target needs very well. Definitely plan on overclocking, RED is really taxing on the CPU (4.2GHz should be easy to obtain without too much heat or hassle). Of course a 2x Xeon e5-2687w build would be even better, but would cost about $4000 more.

You may get some comments that the lower quality "non-RAID" "non-Enterprise" drives are not the best to use for RAID service and that would be true. Because of the cost difference though, I have been running non-Enterprise drives in various Areca controllers for a few years and have had zero data loss. In fact, I have had about the same problem rate for Enterprise drives I have used vs. non-Enterprise drives. You can monitor for SMART errors (the Areca allows for SMART diagnostics to show for each drive while it is running) and replace any failed drive on warranty. All that being said, you could consider adding another drive and go with a RAID6 setup if you want real peace of mind.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RAID

To use non-enterprise drives you should test each one individually for read and write performance with something like HD Tune Pro (to test the whole drive).  Since you are getting six drives you can easily have one that does not perform like the others and would potentially cause time-out errors. I do like those drives and from what I can see it is the fastest 7200 rpm drives in existence

Are you aware that the Areca ARC-1882LP has only 4 ports internal (and 4 ports external) despite what Newegg has on their site.  I ordered one and had to return it because the Newegg web site is wrong in their claim that it has 8 internal ports!  Probably what you really want is a ARC-1882i or ARC-1882i MS.  Off hand I cannot tell what the difference is between thos two.

• 4. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
                JEShort01 Level 4

Bill, Great catch on the 1882LP! You are indeed correct even though Newegg is wrong! Their listing shows 8x internal SAS connectors. Hypnotic, the ARC-1882i is just about identical, but does have 8 internal ports (no external ports).

• 5. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

Probably what you really want is a ARC-1882i or ARC-1882i MS.  Off hand I cannot tell what the difference is between thos two.

From the look of it, the MS version has two MiniSAS-to-SATA fan-out cables; the non-MS one - strictly MiniSAS.

• 6. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you Alex

• 7. Re: New CS6 Workstation Build
                      Hypnotic88 Level 1

Thanks everybody!

I think i will get the Areca ARC-1880ix-12. Probably i wanna add more HDDs in the future.

Since now i used 8 of those 2TB Seagate drives and they all worked just fine! If there is no higher probability of failing in a raid-connection, i will try these non-enterprise drives!