4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 7:49 AM by Jon Coyopa

Render Error in AE CS6

Jon Coyopa

I'm trying to export a TIFF sequence from AE and I'm running into a render error.  It's a blue screen shot that was keyed using Magic Bullet's Primatte Keyer plugin.  The foreground is a RAW image sequence from a Nikon D800 (.nef 7360 x 4912) and the background is a RAW image from a Canon 5D (.cr2 5616 x 3744).  My frame size is 4096 x 2160.

The shot is supposed to look like this:

render_error_01.jpg

But AE exports TIFFs that look like this:

render_error_02.jpg

I tried swapping in a TIFF and a JPEG for the background but ran into the same error.  I'm almost certain the error is due to the fact that I'm using such large RAW images and AE is having a problem with them.  I also need to work in RAW for various reason but mainly for the final output so replacing the images with TIFFs or JPEGs isn't an option.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to render?

Here are m computers specs:

mac_specs.jpg

• 1. Re: Render Error in AE CS6
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

replacing the images with TIFFs or JPEGs isn't an option.

Why not? Perhaps you might consider an alternate workflow, regardless:

http://prolost.com/blog/2012/12/19/lets-cook.html

If Stu uses these workflows, I'm sure they would work for you. Otehrwise you might wish to check your Primatte plug-in and do the key at a different bit-depth. This looks like 32bit artifacts from the keyer due to a bad color space conversion...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Render Error in AE CS6
            Jon Coyopa Level 1

I've read that article and unfortunately that workflow doesn't work for this project.  We often change from 1s to 2s or 3s in mid shot and hold on individual frames for seconds at a time.  Making a new quicktime, everytime we wanted to make a change like that would be too time consuming.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the bit-depth be dictated by the project settings?  That is currently set to 16 and I don't see any settings in the keyer plugin to change that.

• 3. Re: Render Error in AE CS6
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you work in 16bpc already, then you should be safe. Just guessing around, really. but that being so, you might want to check whether it works in 32bpc. On that note, you might also want to look into applying a HDR Compander or Color Profile Converter effect before the key. I really think that it is the culprit here and either operates wrongly because the input color ranges are whacky or conversely it outputs wrong ranges...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Render Error in AE CS6
                Jon Coyopa Level 1

After doing some trouble shooting with a very helpful tech from Red Giant, we determined that the issue is with Colorista II.  The fix is very simple.  All you need to do is switch the "Render Using" from GPU (OpenGL) to CPU.

cpu.jpg