3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 3:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Very Poor DVD Quality From HD Source - What Gives?

clanderson00 Level 1

I'm getting very poor DVD quality from a 1080p source - I've selected the highest bitrate and resolution settings available for standard DVD, and it's still horrible.

I get MUCH better quality using software like IMGBurn.. What's the deal?

I feel like, "Why did I pay for this product?"...

• 1. Re: Very Poor DVD Quality From HD Source - What Gives?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

clanderson00

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

What is your project preset and what are the properties of your source media (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or other). Are you making any Field Options adjustments in the editing process before burn to?

What does the Timeline content look like quality wise during playback of the Timeline content in the Edit Mode Monitor prior to burn to? Is there a colored line over the Timeline content prior to going to the burn to area? If so, what color?

In what way is the DVD quality poor...clarity, jerky, other.

You say that you "get MUCH better quality using software like IMGBurn". Could you confirm the route? Are you

a. burning your 1080p Timeline to Folder in Premiere Elements (Widescreen)

and then

b. taking the VIDEO_TS from that Folder and taking the VIDEO_TS to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc with the ImgBurn software?

ATR

• 2. Re: Very Poor DVD Quality From HD Source - What Gives?
            clanderson00 Level 1

I just spent 30-45 minutes on support with someone who knew nothing about what they were doing, controlling my screen the whole time. I finally gave up and left the chat, this is outrageous. Not even decent support for their products!

I'm using Premiere Elements 11

properties.PNG

The DVD burned with PE11 is very low resolution (although obviously not going to be HD), sometimes looks like there are three or four images layered unevenly on top of eachother, but mostly terrible clarity.. I'll burn a copy (and not throw it away this time) and post images for reference.

As for burning with IMGBurn, the process I use is as follows:

1. Edit using PE11
            2. Export to HD 720p 30 MPEG using PE11
            3. Import the MPEG to DVD Flick
            4. Max out settings for SD DVD in DVD Flick
            5. Select "Burn" in DVD Flick, which first renders the project, then opens up IMGBurn to burn the actual DVD
            • 3. Re: Very Poor DVD Quality From HD Source - What Gives?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

clanderson00

Thanks for the follow up. Let us see what we can do.

Typically this type of issue revolves around the source media being interlaced and having a Field Order of Upper Field First (aka Top Field First); whereas the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc is characterized by interlaced and having a Field Order of Lower Field First (aka Bottom Field First). Therefore it is important at the onset to rule in or out such factors in the poor results that you are getting.

Approach 1:

1. Select a project preset that was designed to reverse the Field Order automatically from Upper Field First to Lower Field First. In this instance, the project preset choice would be:

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i(60i)

You would then open to the workplace, DO NOT APPLY Field Options REVERSE FIELD DOMINANCE, render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard, check out the quality of the playback of the Timeline content in the monitor. And, then proceed to Disc Menus, followed by Publish+Share/Disc/DVD for the burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

Approach 2:

1. Use a "regular" project preset, in this case,

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30

Then, if necessary, when you have the video on the Timeline apply Field Options Reverse Field Dominance and/or explore the other options there before moving onward to burn to.

Assure that you are dealing with the project preset that you want. Premiere Elements 11 was designed to set the project preset for you. Typically it does a good job with HD footage, not so with SD footage. Check your project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings. If any doubt, set your project setting the good old fashion (do it yourself ) way. File Menu/New/Project, select your project preset, assure that you have a check mark next to "Force this Project setting on this project", and click OK. Then use Add Media to import your source media into the project.

However and a big however at that is that in your initial post you say that you are working with 1080p, progressive video. So, is your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or 29.97 interlaced frames per second? Are we talking about progressive wrapped in interlaced? Interlaced (fields) vs Progressive (no fields) puts a different light on this.

Depending on the circumstances, you might want to look at the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

At this point, best set by you rather than the program.

The project preset typically determines the space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes and the DVD Menus available when you get to Disc Menus, but I have found the project preset to have subtle affects on the project settings as well.

Please review and then we can consider what next if you want to proceed.

Thanks.

ATR