• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable auto-recovery files from opening every time I open Photoshop?

Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have read several forums about how to disable the auto-recovery feature. However, I don't want to disable the auto-recovery because I like that it saves my work in case of crash. It's just annoying that everytime I open photoshop all those previous files auto open. Is there anyway to make it stop? I read that there is a file that you delete, but will that stop the auto-recovery feature? Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh! It's Photoshop CS 6 and the os is Mountain Lion. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, if Photoshop crashes, the autorecovery files are not cleared. On next launch, Photoshop sees those autorecovery files and reopens them.

When Photoshop closes successfully, it deletes these autorecovery files, and thus on the next launch no recovery files should be opened.

So if your files are continually opening, then Photoshop is in essence crashing every time you close it (assuming you are trying to close Photoshop each time).

May need to look at doing things like recreating the preference files or running Photoshop in a new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: autorecovery files != temp files (which are the scratch files)

If something prevents the autorecovery files from being deleted (permissions issue), then that could also cause them to reopen each time.

We've also seen cases where the autorecovery file was not readable (disk damage) and Photoshop could not finish opening it, and it would attempt to reopen each time Photoshop launched.  Fixing that took more than a little work and testing, and will be in the next major release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 Years later same thing, when is that Major release happening you are talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps auto-recovery files on OS X can become orphaned and persistent even when there are no permissions problems and no crashing of Ps. When one/many of these files is opened into Ps, right-click on the document window tab of one and pick Reveal In Finder to open the auto-recovery folder. Close Ps. Trash the orphaned file(s) that you see in the auto-recovery folder then launch Ps to find your problem is solved. At least that has worked for me and for those whom I have advised in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the file name in the photoshop, choose Reveal-in-Finder to open the Recovered Files folder, delete the file.

Happy days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray!  This has been driving me nuts.  Add my post to your list of greateful readers.   I had found the set of problem files previously and deleted them but they must have existed elsewhere because they kept opening every time I opened Photoshop.  Repeal did the trick.  Problem solved. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip, but "Reveal-in-Finder" is grayed-out! Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for recommending. it works! Simple and best solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanhs for your solution but it can not apply with my circumstance. Do you have another solution?Screenshot 2018-07-04 08.46.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right clicking on the file name, it should show you a path to where the file is.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.09.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on windows find AppData folder then Adobe Photoshop\AutoRecover folder

just delete any files you don't want to recover next time you open photoshop

i found mine here

D:\Data\AppData\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\AutoRecover

saridooda​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may never see this reply but you are awesome and you helped me stop my Photoshop from crashing and I appreciates you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the guy! Thank you so much 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

En Windows 10 yo solucioné el problema de Adobe PhotoShot CS6 Portable encontrando la carpeta "AutoRecover" en: D:\Users\UserName\...\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Data\PhotoshopCS6\AppData\Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Eliminé tres archivos que seguían apareciéndome al abrir PhotoShop y funcionó perfectamente. Gracias Mil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anybody know where this is for PS 2021??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines