6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 7:00 PM by Josh_Corey

trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields

future choice

I have inserted text fields, but they only allow a one line response. I was told to go to text fields, then format, then word wrap and then to put in total characters, but can't find any of those options. I was also told not to upload a pdf file to forms, but when i tried my document in word doc format it wouldn't let me select it to upload. I can make the fields in the pdf version, but none of the options appear. Thanks for your help on this.

• 1. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Are you using the FormsCentral webiste? https://formscentral.acrobat.com/app.html

Or are you using Acrobat?  Who told you not to upload a PDF to forms?

I am going to guess that you are using the FormsCentral web site.  In the FormsCentral form editor you can add a "Multi-line Text Field" (the 2nd field in the toolbar) which has a multiple line input box that you can resize any size you would like.

Or are you trying to create a PDF in Acrobat and then upload that to FormsCentral?  We do support "Import PDF Form" where you can upload a PDF form that you have already created so you can collect the responses using FormsCentral...  If you could clarify your workflow for creating your form that would be great. 

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields
            future choice Level 1

Hi Josh, thanks so much for responding. I just discovered the Formscentral

looking for help. Originally I started my form is Acrobat and encountered

my troubles there. I am reall small time - realy doing questionnaires I am

sending out to my clients to gather information. I would want to email the

form to them and have them return it to me. What would you suggest?

• 3. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields

It sounds like if you have Acrobat and an email workflow works for you, and manually collecting the responses, using Acrobat to create the forms and collecting the responses through Email is probably the cheapest option.  FormsCentral would be the easiest option though...

What version of Acrobat do you have?  If it is Acrobat XI please let me know, I will have different recommendations for you...

You should give the free trial of FormsCentral a try, create a new "Custom Form" from the "Create New Form" tab and see how easy it is to design your form there, once you have designed it you can test the web/HTML form.  With a paid subscription you can also save the form as PDF and can either give your clients the URL to fill out the form online or send them the PDF, when they click "Submit" in the PDF the data is sent to the FormsCentral server and appears in the "Responses" tab in FormsCentral, you can download those responses and XLS or PDF. 

The Free account allows you to have one form and does not allow you to save as PDF, it sounds like you would probably need a paid subscription, there is more information on the prices here https://www.acrobat.com/formscentral/en/pricing.html

If you do choose to use Acrobat, and it is not Acrobat XI you can visit the Acrobat forum for more assistance with creating the text fields and help with adding a Submit button that will email the form back to you.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields
                future choice Level 1

I have Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro. I tried importing the form that I had created

to Formcentral, and I can't figure out how to edit it now. Looks like I

can't edit  - is this right. Imported forms can't be edited? Sorry, but

this is a bit confusing. Where do i go for info on how to change the fields

in acrobat 9 pro? Thanks again for your help.

C.

• 5. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields
                  future choice Level 1

This all started because i wanted a way to send my questionnaire in a pdf

format so it couldn't be altered, but i wanted the client to be able to

write in the pdf. I thought there was a way to do that, but then i clicked

on the form button and thought that would do the job as well. IS there a

way to do this>

--

Cory Alperstein

Educational Consultant

coryannalpersetin@gmail.com

609-937-4784

• 6. Re: trying to set up the form so answers can be typed in fields

If you are wanting to complete this using Acrobat 9 I can point you to the Acrobat forums: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat

Yes, when you upload (Import) a PDF into FormsCentral you cannot edit the form fields, that is intended for users who do not want to re-create a lengthy or complex form they have created and will allow them to collect the responses using our servers. 

A FormsCentral subscription, and starting with authoring your form in FormsCentral and then saving the form as a PDF to distribute to your clients would be a pretty quick and simple solution, but since you do own Acrobat 9 you can get some help there to accomplish your goals.

Thnaks,

Josh