21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 10:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Restore default work area bar

sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi folks, how do I restore the default work area bar in PE10 so that the work area corresponds with the full length of all clips in the timeline? I accidentally shortened the work area, have searched help and googled but have not been able to restore the default. Regards, Phil

• 1. Re: Restore default work area bar
          whsprague Level 4

Slide each end with the mouse.  Shrink the project to fit the display if it makes it easier.

• 2. Re: Restore default work area bar
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Initially, the WAB (Work Area Bar) will automatically expand, and contract, as the Clips on the Timeline are Deleted, or added.

However, and as you have found, once it has been manually set, it looses that automatic mode.

To quickly extend the WAB to encompass all of the Timeline's Clips, hit the \ (Backslash) key, to Zoom OUT on the Timeline, then locate the little knurled "box" (four vertical lines) in the middle of the WAB, and Dbl-click on that. Note: if one does not Zoom OUT on the Timeline, that Dbl-click will result in the WAB ONLY expanding to the view of the Timeline:

PrE11_WAB.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Restore default work area bar
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For more details on the WAB, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5170142#5170142

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Restore default work area bar
                whsprague Level 4

The new interface in PrE11 put most of the scattered tiny buttons on organized menus.  But, they missed that one!  And it is really small.

Thanks for the pointing it out.

Bill S

• 5. Re: Restore default work area bar
                  sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi Bill, thank you for responding so quickly. I hit the backslash key to zoom out, located the littled knurled "box" of four vertical lines in the middle of the WAB and double'clicked on it. The bar jumped to the end of my edit in the timeline. However, when I dragged another file into the timeline, the WAB did not expand automatically. I tried this several times, saving and even closing and re-opening the program, but could not get the WAB to go back into automatic mode! - Phil

• 6. Re: Restore default work area bar
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

I could not agree more. Once, that knurled "box" was actually a BOX, and easy to spot. In the continued "streamlining" of the GUI, I feel that the designers are making too much, too difficult to see. I am becoming less, and less inclined to like the GUI. Maybe I am just used to having everything clearly deliniated, right in front of me (streamlined, or not), and now I have to really hunt all over, to do what I am used to doing. Maybe for a brand new user, with Steve's book at hand, it is more intuitive, but as a Premiere user for many years, I am often lost, and have to search. I also feel that many operations are not in logical locations - I am still a bit miffed that the output functions were moved from the Export menu, to Share, which is now Publish+Share.

Years ago, Kai Krause left the Adobe Photoshop team, and formed his own company. His first product was Kai's Power Tools, which was a very useful set of Filters, that were not then included in Photoshop. Everyone rushed to add that as a plug-in, and I found it very useful. He followed Power Tools with Convolver, with even more Filters. However, his team designed a totally new interface. Almost every pixel in that interface did something. There were few noticable "buttons," and one had to randomly click all over the interface, then things would happen to the image. However, as one never knew WHAT was chosen, it was totally impossible to repeat, say with some attribute change. Critics praised that innovative interface, but commercial users shunned it, like a very bad plague. If they found a combo of pixel pushes, that did something they liked, but wanted to repeat that, with a change, or two, or make a simple adjustment to suit a client, it was impossible. One had to start over, begin clicking on, or click-dragging on random pixels, hoping to get back to something close to what they had. Because nearly every pixel was active, who knew what they had done previously? The GUI won many design awards, but it failed in the marketplace, which was about 99% commercial back in those days. It also haunted Kai Krause, when he released more traditional plug-ins, as most users still remembered Convolver. It was more of a video game, based on an Imported image, than a useful tool.

The software reviewers seem to love the more streamlined GUI's, but then they only use the program, perhaps once, or twice, to write their articles. They get caught up in the "look," and miss having to actually use the program.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Restore default work area bar
                      sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi Bill, I still can't get the WAB to return to auto mode so that the brackets expand with additions to the timeline. I have to keep on double-clicking the little bars. I clicked your link and tried ctrl+] and ctrl+[ but this did not move the brackets in the WAB. (I have PE10). I seem to vaguely remember finding a tut. somewhere which specified hitting another keyboard shortcut to restore the default auto mode, but blowed if I can remember that info. Pity that PE10 doesn't have help with a search function. I used to love that with an earlier version of Premiere Elements. Anyway, guess I'll have to keep on double-clicking the little bars to extend the work area - in this project. It is a big community video of our local Festival of Wood that will take me a few more weeks, so this is a pain. Just out of interest, I must re-open another completed project to see how the WAB works there. It is almost as if my complex and valuable project that I'm working on has been corrupted by the unresponsive WAB! - Phil

• 8. Re: Restore default work area bar
                        whsprague Level 4

Hunt,

I retirered from a world of sales and marketing.  So, being a consumer of any major company's products I can't help being facinated by the cycle of product development, marketing, sales and then market research to "adjust" the product development.  For consumer Elements products, they put themselves on a one year cycle.

For pro CS6 products they've gone instant.  Adobe seems to be intent on having you subscribe to the complete CS6 package on a month to month basis.  In the last couple weeks they added some Photoshop goodies that you can only get from the Creative Cloud.

From my perspective on Adobe sales and marketing, I would bet that the Elements products are shunned in the Pro world.  In other words, I'll bet that there was no evidence whatsoever of any Elements products in the Adobe displays at the NAB in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.  I'd bet further that no one on the marketing team at that convention has any working knowledge of Elements products.  Whay would or should they?

I am quite sure that the product development teams for the CS6 products are separate from the Elements teams and they share little if anything.

Think forward.  If you were in the Adobe think tank trying to figure out products to be sold 5 or 10 years from now, what would they be and how would they work?  The world is being videod.  YouTube gets 70 hours of mostly bad footage every minute.   Half the population carries a video camera everywhere they go everyday. 

Whatever Adobe asks us to buy 5 or 10 years from now will undoubtably have a GUI we can't probably imagine now!  Will Adobe's success be derivied from the millions of consumers with smartphones or the thousands of pro's trying to make a living? 

Bill S

• 9. Re: Restore default work area bar
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

sheltiefriend

I see what you mean. I just repeated what you said that you did, using my Premiere Elements 10 Windows, and got what you did.

The sure way of getting things back to normal with respect to automatic action of those gray tabs of the Work Area Bar is to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which can be found in the following path for Windows 7 or 8 64 bit.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs Folder for deletion.

To see the path completely, be sure to be working with the Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

I will keep looking for an alternative remedy, but the above worked to correct the situation that you described.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 10. Re: Restore default work area bar
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

It will NOT return to auto-mode, once it has been manually set.

I just keep editing, until I need to use the WAB, and use that \ + Dbl-click on the "box" in the center.

Once manually set, it will always be in manual mode.

I would love to see some switch to get it back into auto mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Restore default work area bar
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I tried your suggestion for when one gets in the situation described, that is, the WorkAreaBar gray tabs failing to act automatically when new file is added to the end of the existing Timeline content.

Yes, if you double click the area indicated in your screenshot, you can then get the whole Timeline content spanned by the gray tabs. But, I have not been able to regain the automatic action that comes with the program before the adjust that is throwing the automatic action out.

Am I missing something? Deletion of that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is the only thing that is working for me here to get back the automatic nature of those WorkAreaBar gray tabs with the addition of media to the Timeline.

Thanks

ATR

• 12. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi Romano, I have Windows 7 64 bit.  Following the file path that you list, I don't actually find "preferences" in the 10.0 Folder. Instead, I find Layouts, OLS and SC, and under SC I find Presets and Workflows. What happens if I delete everything listed there in the 10.0 Folder? Will my current project and the program be useable? Perhaps I shouldn't mess and should just cop it sweet and occasionally expand the Work Area, unless somebody knows another work-around. Thanks, Phil

• 13. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Your observations mirror my experiences too - once manually set, the WAB will not return to auto mode, in that Project.

I have not tried Bill's suggestion, so cannot comment. For me, the auto mode being regained, is not worth that effort.

Part of that could well be that once I have begun resetting the WAB, I will continue to do so (most often for Rendering, in my case), so I will not really miss auto mode on that Project. I will wait until done, and if I need the WAB to encompass the full Timeline, will just do so manually, at that time.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sheltiefriend,

Do you feel that the auto mode, after manually resetting the WAB for certain purposes, that important?

Personally, I really do not miss it.

Once, it was easier to file Feature Requests for PrE, but now it's a bit tougher, as PSE and PrE are grouped together. Also, with the release schedule of the Elements programs, I am not sure how any Feature Requests are handled. With Photoshop, and Premiere Pro, the release schedule is greater, so those Feature Requests ARE worked on.

As for Bill S's workaround, I have not tried it, and it seems like more work, than I would wish, just to regain auto mode for the WAB. I cannot comment on that workaround.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                      sheltiefriend Level 1

Yes, Bill - I don't want to risk anything by deleting user app. files, and I'm happy to live with some inconvenience in the current project. The "preference" file that A.T.Romano mentioned isn't listed as such in Windows Explorer, so I will let that solution go, unless I receive some clarification and reassurance. Thanks everyone for taking such an interest and trying to be helpful. We are in the wee small hours here in little Tasmania, and a gale is blowing, and we've had one black-out already, so I should call it a night - but it is good the way people respond on this forum!

• 16. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

You seem to be in the right Folder, that is, the 10.0 Folder, but...

You specifically want to delete the file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. That file should be about 6 down in the list which is headed by Folders for Layouts, OLS, SC. Do not delete anything there unless it matches exactly with my description for deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

I have Windows 7 and 8 64 bit as well as Premiere Elements 10 so I know it is there and visible if you have Folder Options set for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives. (Please refer to typing in Folder Options in Search, clicking of Folder Options in the search find at the top of the column, in Folder Options Dialog/View Tab find and select Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

Whether or not you continue to search to return to automatic for this feature, please let us know if you can find that file. It is often very important in various troubleshooting schemes for a variety of problems.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                          sheltiefriend Level 1

Hi ATR, thanks for taking an interest and trying to help! I wrote to you late at night Tasmanian time, have been out today, just received your latest message. I did find the file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs in the exact file path that you specified, but when I deleted it, the Work Area Bar did not return to auto mode. When I dragged a new file into the timeline, the bracket in the WAB did not move. I could tell that the Prefs file had been deleted because the PE10 welcome window did not open with options to create a new project or open an existing one. Instead, I found the project file where I knew I had stored it, and opened the project to find it in the default sceneline mode - rather than the timeline mode that I work in. None of this is a bother. I'm happy to just go on as Bill Hunt suggested manually extending the WAB from time to time and making sure that it is set correctly when I finally export a finished file and burn to DVD. I'm not worried at all. Initially, when I opened this blog, I thought I had a unique problem caused by a sort of corruption, but as others including Bill share the experience there's nothing to worry about except for a very minor inconvenience. Thanks anyway. Really enjoy working with PE10. Still appreciate being able to choose when to render - which you can't with other programs. About the only option I miss compared to earlier versions is one click to return to beginning of the timeline. But that is a minor thing too. Anyway, cheers from Tasmania! - Phil

• 18. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the follow up and checking out the suggested troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

If you have time, could you please clarify certain aspects of the automatic vs manual situation regarding your WorkAreaBar gray tabs?

a. Is the issue for a given project? In other words, if you are forced into the manual route in one project, can you open a new project and find the WorkAreaBar tabs working in their automatic fashion whether or not you have deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file before you go from old (stuck with manual) to new (automatic fully functional)? Have you sealed your fate for all or just one Premiere Elements 10 project when you are stuck in manual for an individual project?

Also, at the end of your latest post, I noted that you wrote:

"About the only option I miss compared to earlier versions is one click to return to beginning of the timeline. But that is a minor thing too."

Could you elaborate on that? Typically, if one hits the Home Key of the auxiliary keyboard to the right of the desktop computer main keyboard, the Timeline Indicator goes direct to the beginning of the Timeline (and, if one hits End Key of that auxillary keyboard, the Timeline Indicator goes directly to the end of the Timeline content. Those keyboard shortcuts seem to be working for that purpose even when one is experimencing the stuck in manual problem.

And, just in case note, regarding setting WorkAreaBar gray tabs to span a selected area...

Left Gray Tab...move the Timeline Indicator to start of the segment of interest...and then Alt+left bracket key [

Right Gray Tab...move the Timeline Indicator to end of the segment of interest...and then Alt+right bracket key ]

Thanks for the opportunity to try to help.

ATR

• 19. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As ATR points out, if the Timeline has focus (in other versions of Premiere, that is indicated by a thin orange line around the Timeline, but I do not see any direct indicator in later versions of PrE), and then the Home key is hit, the CTI (Current Time Indicator) should move to the beginning of the Timeline. Again, with the Timeline having focus, the End key should take the CTI to the end of the Timeline, the PageUP key to the next edit point, and the PageDN key to the previous edit point. [On my laptop's keyboard, I need to hold down the Fn (Function) key, and then hit the Home, End, PageUP or PageDN keys.]

Good luck, and thanks for reporting the resetting of the Prefs file. To me, that indicates that the operation of the WAB is written to the PREL (Project) file.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

So, from what you have written, are you confirming that the operation of the WorkAreaBar gray tabs situation is written to the specific project.prel (project file) and not to the Premiere Elements program which would seal the fate for this operation for all subsequent project.prel files without or without invoking the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion in an attempt to revert from manual to automatic?

ATR

• 21. Re: Restore default work area bar
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

That is what it appears to be.

In the Project, once the WAB has been manually adjusted, the auto-expansion feature turns OFF - manual only from that point on. That remains for that Project, as if one goes to New Project, the WAB will be back in the auto-expansion mode - until it has been manually adjusted, and then auto-expansion goes to OFF, for that Project.

If that setting for auto-expansion was contained in the PREFS file, it would need to have specific links to all Projects, to know which ones had auto-expansion OFF, and which had not yet had the WAB manually adjusted.

I THINK that the WAB information is Project-specific, and that would need to be in the PREL file.

I suppose that one could open the PREL in an XML, or TXT editor, and find the line of code, that controls the WAB's behavior. The testing method would be to create two Projects, that are very simple - no Assets, or other editing yet, and in one, just manually adjust the WAB - nothing else. In the other, just create, and Save. Then, compare the two PREL files, to find the WAB's control line.

Hunt