5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 4:52 AM by ykdartes

problem with bc templates

ykdartes

I'm building a site using the Foundation framework.

I was trying to use templates in BC but they keep on modifying things.

For ex. when I put this bit of code:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9" lang="en" > <![endif]-->

<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en" ><!--<![endif]-->

when it's saved it becomes:

<html class="no-js" lang="en">

<!--<![endif]-->

I tried using a different approach, building the page with content holders (and no template):

head [content holder]

main content [actual page content]

tail [content holder]

but it doesn't work either, because the content holders add code which destroys the page.

like a a final (and not required)

</body>

</html>

(in the head content holder)

and some extra </div> when the page is assembled and published.

Is there any way to disable this 'smart' behavior?

• 1. Re: problem with bc templates
          Liam Dilley Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The editor is not really for coding in, while you can access the HTML it is not designed for this job. It conforms to XHTML doctype and anything it considers badly formated it will change. Modern code will have issues with it etc.

If your coding and creating layouts and templates and more advanced features in BC you should really be using a coding platform like Dreamweaver, Coda 2, Sublime Text 2, Aptana, Komodo, Notepad++ ...  And SFTP your files and work that way. You remove any of these issues and also have a better tool to code better in.

• 2. Re: problem with bc templates
            ykdartes Level 1

But I do use coding platforms + Dreamweaver (which is too bloated for just coding purposes but useful for some automatic features).

I calculated I could save quite a lot of space by putting repeating code inside a BC template (or content holder)...

But you're saying it's not possible. Right?

A BC bug, then...

So I have to upload the full code ( = head, body, sidebar, footer...) even if most of these elements are just repeated page after page...

• 3. Re: problem with bc templates
              Liam Dilley Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Both BC templates and content holders are accessed via SFTP.

Do you see the "Devleop" link at the very top bar? If you do - click it.

If not - it not a bug, Edittors online form HTML for them to work but in their nature should not be used to do primary coding. If you go around telling web designers and develoeprs you were doing that, even if it was in say wordpress - People would laugh, not the thing you do.

If you have DW - Use it, its not the best coding platform out there in my opinion but you will produce your work faster and better using such a tool.

These exist for this role, thats why they are here.

You DONT have to upload full code all time, you need to learn what you can do in BC. Connect to it via FTP and actually look at the folders and files you have access too. Think your missing on what BC has to offer.

• 4. Re: problem with bc templates
                ykdartes Level 1

Hi Liam

it seems to work, mate!

Thank you

• 5. Re: problem with bc templates
                  ykdartes Level 1

Unluckily I was wrong.

It did not work.

I was just checking now (in the DEVELOP section) and again the bit after  <!DOCTYPE html>:

<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9" lang="en" > <![endif]-->

<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en" ><!--<![endif]-->

was canceled (it was in a template file uploaded by SFTP).

Which means I cannot use templates in BC (for this site, at least).

So it is indeed a bug.

My other pages, which do not use a template, are not changed...