5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 9:19 AM by Netcommercial

After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It

brianful

Every time I try opening After Effects on my computer, it goes through loading the title screen, but as soon as the window for the program opens up, it crashes with no error. I've tried all of the error tutorials and even Downloaded Adobe Support Advisor, but still I'm not seeing any errors being reported. The program just stops running no matter what I try. I am using a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with enough RAM to support this. So idea what it could be. I also have the most up to date patch installed.

The only thing my Windows Crash Log says is Problem: Stopped Working. Description: Faulting Application Path.

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
      Application Name:AfterFX.exe
      Application Version:11.0.2.12
      Application Timestamp:505998cf
      Fault Module Name:StackHash_8e15
      Fault Module Version:6.1.7601.17725
      Fault Module Timestamp:4ec4aa8e
      Exception Code:c0000374
      Exception Offset:00000000000c40f2
      OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:1033
      Additional Information 1:8e15
      Additional Information 2:8e15b676f385f1e8e4a4314bd547792a
      Additional Information 3:0959
      Additional Information 4:0959d4a1bca04088714120c37b2ec971

Any thoughts or ideas?

• 1. Re: After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That means something is preventing the program from loading some configuration data or a related library (DLL in Windows-Speak). Impossible to tell what's going on without more details. as a start, try reinstalling the program and make sure to run it with sufficient privileges, security tools and so on set to off... Likewise, simply check your user privileges/ Fiel Permissions. Refer to this for some guidance:

Installation Preparations

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Tell us about any third-party plug-ins you have installed. Answer all of the questions listed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

• 3. Re: After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It
              Netcommercial Level 1

First thing I do when a program will not open that may have before, is turn off AVirus and FWall. It may not like something. I have an issue with Comodo Adobe\update task. I have Scanned twice with two diff Virus companies with no threats found. Yet my Firewall pops up a warning : Application.Win32.InstallCore.k@1 C:\Users\Creator\AppData\Roaming\DSite\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe  MY AE crashed yesterday with a small project. I have 16gb of Ram! I cleared the Cache too. EDIT>Clear Cache or memory...

Empty the Trash, Scan computer try steps above. Before the infamous unistall re-install fiasco.

• 4. Re: After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It
                brianful Level 1

So I haven't installed any third-party plug-ins for After Effects, since I have never gotten it to open since downloading it. Is that what you're talking about? I have the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite and none of them have any plugins except for Photoshop which has a few additional brush sets added.

I also have my firewall and antivirus turned off and I tried uninstalling it and re-installing it. But After Effects still doesn't work.

The only thing I am thinking is my computer has a i7 core, so it has an integrated video card. But then on top of that I have a GeForce GT 540M video card. I've tried checking the BIOS of my computer and it seems like it only uses the GeForce GT 540M as the video card. But maybe that integrated video card could still be giving me a problem?

This could also be a useful tidbit. About a year ago I had tried installing Photoshop CS5 64 bit and it kept not working, so I installed the 32 bit and it worked perfectly. To make matters more confusing though, I have the Fireworks CS6 64-bit version on my computer and it works perfectly. So it could be that certain 64-bit programs have an issue.

Any other info that I can provide that would hep? Thanks so much everyone!

• 5. Re: After Effects Immediately Crashes Each Time I Open It
                  Netcommercial Level 1

64 bit Win7 Pro here, I have a 3770K Intel... Check your Driver update. I have a Quadro 4000 Nvidia. My z77 board has /had a video card, but it was a minor boy card. Plus after installing a stand alone card it will over ride your mobo card. You might be on to something with your Video card. I know it will run on 1gbcard but it may be your drivers....