4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2013 11:59 PM by TKFauske

Creating A Motion Comic

TKFauske

Hey,

I'm currently creating a Motion Comic for my Major and looking for some tips or tutorials.

I am separating my layers in Photoshop and importing to AE, but find it hard to make the background look "flawless" with the cloning tools. I have some elements that will move across the background and reveal the cloned parts, so I wonder how the professionals do it. Looking at Motion Comics, they all look so seamlessly integrated.

Since it is my first time creating a motion comic, I will go for something simplistic.

I wish to use camera moves, zoom in/out, slight movement of foreground elements/characters across scene as well as perhaps adding a short hand drawn dance sequence. There will be 2 songs and some SFX added lastly.

However, I think it may be too difficult to do the dance animation in the short amount of time I have, so considering drawing key frames of the dance and freeze them while I zoom in or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating A Motion Comic
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm just guessing that you are scanning or photographing your artwork and then attempting to separate elements. Usually animators work with completely separate layers. Making a seamless background from a cutout requires some skill and depending on the subject can be done fairly easily with the Content Aware fill. It would really help to know a little more about your project and maybe see a bit of your artwork.

• 2. Re: Creating A Motion Comic
            TKFauske Level 1

Thanks for your reply!

Yes that's what I've been doing so far. I figured later that it would probably have been easier to create the layers digitally.

I am a fan of traditional means though, so wanted to give myself a challenge.

I tried the clone tools, healing brush and content aware fill with varying results. Perhaps I just have to switch between them all?

Here's a few examples. It's my first attempt at a comic so not superb..

Page 2 test.jpg

1)Test Page Layout- The idea will be to move from frame to frame as you would in a comic book, but with camera movement etc.

Panel 4.jpg

2) In this panel I wish to move the glass and hand upwards as if the character's lifting it.

Panel 12.jpg

3) Here I want to add a Camera pan to left with a 2.5d effect on the character and perhaps slight

movement of background characters.

My story focuses on two characters mostly and is a romantic story with emphasis on motion, gestures, dance and how it can communicate a message.

Thanks for having a look!

• 3. Re: Creating A Motion Comic
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You might wanna look up some Photoshop tutorials... Yes, you'll have to use combinations of all the tools and may even need to re-draw considerable parts. And you should indeed work in layers and draw some clean plates. Capturing naturalistic painting styles otherwise is pretty difficult...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Creating A Motion Comic
                TKFauske Level 1

Okey. Yeah I'm trying to absorb everything I can of tutorials:) I was fearing that I might have to re-draw it, but seems there's no way around it.

Thanks alot!