11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 6:21 AM by Giovannivolontè

is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?

Giovannivolontè Level 1

Hi

hi

i have 5d mark2 , i will update to mark 3 soon

i use almost camera raw to edit and import my photos in photoshop

i use color match rgb , sometime  adobe rgb

now my question

about my photos , i 'm used to print in a lab or i upload in internet ,or i watch in my tv or pc

is there a real advantage opening a raw file in 16bit and work the photo in 16 bit??

i mean i have an eizo , is there a real advantage editing photos in color or make black and white?

thanks

greetings

• 1. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Short answer:  Absolutely yes.

Edits chance increasing visible posterization in an 8 bit file because of the limited bit depth leading to round off or truncation errors.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

16 Bit has two sides. 

On the down size it doubles the number of bytes Photoshop need while editing your image and need to manipulate in layers.  This may tax your system and slow down Photoshop performance and responce time. All RAW image need to be post processed. 

There are big advantage using 16 bit color for you have all the color information your camera delivers and you have more latitude manipulating your images posterization is less likely to develop. Gradients can be smoother.  If your display can not support the full color range you have your printer may be able to do better.  However the image may need to be converted to 8bit when printing I don't know if there are printers and print drivers the support 16bit color. There are wide gamut displays with 10bit color support that cover 100% of sRGB color space and nearly all of Adobe RGB color space.

Shooting RAW and editing in 16bit mode is far more forgiving then editing shooting Jpeg (which only supports 8bit color thus looses some of your camera color information) and editing in 8bit mode.  Camera setting have been applied to in camera generated jpeg images. Where with RAW some camera setting that may have been set wrong can be corrected during  the conversion process that converts the RAW mosaic image into a RGB image for editing.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
              Giovannivolontè Level 1

thanks a lot

lot of  good points!!!

greetings

• 5. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

JJ, I have never had any problem printing directly from 16 bits/channel documents.  I'd always assumed either Photoshop does the conversion, or it's a well worn pathway for printer drivers.  But it's possible I lead a charmed life; I only print directly to HP printers.

-Noel

• 6. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
                  gator soup Level 4

Adobe Camera RAW, 16-bit editing/archiving is well worth reading up on:

BUY THE BOOK

Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop

by Jeff Schewe

I really like this youtube quicktips intro to ADOBE CAMERA RAW

• 7. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?

I have never had a problem either editing in ProPhotoRGB 16 Bit Color  and printing from Photoshop> I have Photoshop manager the colors turn off the print drivers color management and set the correct print paper color profile.  The does not mean printing is done using 16 bit color I don't even know  if there are any 16 bit color printers or 16 bit color device  driver.  I have not looked at printer in years.  When I got my Epson 4800 printer in 2005 there were none.

I just did a quick google and now there are some. What I read is dated 2009 at  that time there are no 16 bit drivers for XP and Vista.  I don't know about Win 7 or Win 8.

Here is the first thing I read but its dataed 2009

Therefore, printing in 16–bit mode should result in smoother gradations and improved transitions – at least in theory. Indeed, according to Epson the new 16–bit driver technology is one of the key features of the 4880. To be able to do 16–bit printing, however, you have to have each of the following:

• 16–bit capable Operating System. Mac OS 10.5.X supports 16–bit printing: "Leopard can use enhanced numerical precision to unlock the printing potential of pro–level color ink jet printers, using up to 16 bits per color channel." (source). Note that both Windows XP and Windows Vista do NOT offer this feature.
                    • 8. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
                      Giovannivolontè Level 1

thanks

in the video he uses 8bit and 6mb raw files

• 9. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
                        Giovannivolontè Level 1

thanks JJmack

good info , because i tried to print with an very very expansive epson printer 2011 with windows 7 64 bit , i can't find differents between the 2 prints , i printed A2

by the way JJmack work with raw files and 16bit needs a 64 bit system

32bit system can not handle several operation under photoshop ,it reachs 1,60gb very quickly and the tweak to use more memory ,in the boot.ini makes the os instalbe

• 10. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?

mantralightroom wrote:

by the way JJmack work with raw files and 16bit needs a 64 bit system

A 64 bit OS and 64-bit Photoshop is not required but is better and 32-bit Photoshop support PSB so file size greater then 4GB can be produced.  Most of my Photoshop document are not huge.  CS6 also requires a GPU for some features to work prior versions don't. CS6 doesn't support GPU on XP so some features do work on XP with CS6.  CS3 is a better choice on XP systems.

• 11. Re: is there an  advantage opening a raw photo in 16 bit?
                            Giovannivolontè Level 1

thanks

always very kind JJmack

do you know about , it's very interesting , would really love to know if w7 or w8 is able to print like mac os 10.5.x !

16–bit capable Operating System. Mac OS 10.5.X supports 16–bit printing: "Leopard can use enhanced numerical precision to unlock the printing potential of pro–level color ink jet printers, using up to 16 bits per color channel." (source). Note that both Windows XP and Windows Vista do NOT offer this feature.