4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 4:39 PM by the_wine_snob

how long can an AVCHD be?

anon125 Level 1

there used to be a half hour limit- probably because of the limit on a DVD.maybe it can go on a Blu-ray disc?

thanks all

• 1. Re: how long can an AVCHD be?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

anon125

Owing to the differences between disc capacity and computer resources, it would be helpful if not essential to have details on your intended workflow to give you a relevant response.

These details should include: computer resources, source media properties, intended export goals and more. AVCHD is a very resource demanding format.

Looking forward to your follow up.

I am not sure of your background, so please excuse these quick just in case reminders:

DVD-R Standard: 4.7 GB/120 min. That 4.7 GB is in reality 4.3 GB

DVD Double Layer: 8.5 GB/240 min. That 8.5 GB is in reality 7.3 GB

Blu-ray disc: 25 GB or 50 GB several hours.

When you talk about

"there used to be a half hour limit- probably because of the limit on a DVD"

I suspect you are referring to doing a Premiere Elements project heading for DVD-VIDEO on standard DVD disc. As I recall, the recommendation was no more than 90 minutes on that type of disc for best results. But lots of factors involved besides disc capacity.

ATR

• 2. Re: how long can an AVCHD be?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with ATR on the request for more info.

My assumption is that you are asking how much AVCHD material will fit on a DVD-Video disc, to be burned on a BD burner, and played on a BD player. Is that correct? If so, the Duration of AVCHD that will fit onto a blank DVD will still be about the same.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more about what you wish to do, and what you are working with.

Hunt

• 3. Re: how long can an AVCHD be?
              anon125 Level 1

thanks guys

well when i make a AVCHD video in pinnacle studio it seems to limit it to 30 minutes.

so i was wondering just how long the video can be in AVCHD.

we are definetely going off Blu-ray

partly due to the cost in canada here is an example - extreme.

ONE BD-RE disk is $79.99 in futureshop.

i checked with them twice - yep that is the price.

PS the insert link does not work on this forum

• 4. Re: how long can an AVCHD be?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

PS the insert link does not work on this forum

This is a browser-specific issue. My Chrome used to work well with Insert Link, but with a fairly recent forum update, it stopped. I can still use that in my IE 8, but then it does not allow me to Insert Image, which I use more often.

You can just Copy/Paste the URL into the body text of your reply.

Good luck,

Hunt