4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 6:03 PM by MoSean

Maintaining Photoshop aspect ratios in After Effects

MoSean

Hi there,

I'm new to  adobe programs...

I'm having a problem when i try to import a 720 x 540 photoshop image into After Effect at the same ratio. After establishing the same settings, my image in AE is slightly cut off at the sides (along the width), as if pillarboxed just barely. There's an outline around the image that seems like it maybe be closer to the 720 X 540 aspect ration, but i don't know how to make the image fill it up.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Maintaining Photoshop aspect ratios in After Effects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I your AE comp is 720 X 540 square pixels and your Photoshop file is 720 X 540 square pixels then the frame sizes match. If your AE comp is NOT square pixels or your Photoshop file was set to a non square pixel aspect ratio then AE will make the adjustments and you will see some distortion.

You need to learn about pixel aspect ratios and you need to make sure that the source footage is properly interpreted. 720 X 540 is the old standard for NTSC 4:3 square pixels and it will fit perfectly in a 720 X 486 rectangular pixel composition if you're using a pre CS version of AE. The new standard for NTSC square pixels with a 4:3 picture ratio is 720 X 534. This will translate perfectly into a 720 X 486 frame. Unfortunately DV video and most DVD formats are limited to 720 X 480 so 6 scan lines are lost. The playback device strips them off anyway so there not really missed.

To make your life easier just always plan on using the standard presets for your compositions and make all of your artwork square pixels. AE will properly interpret any DV footage you may import and will maintain a completely distortion free workflow. You can then use the Adobe Media encoder to render your deliverable DV or DVD product.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Pixel aspect ratios confuse everyone at first.

• 2. Re: Maintaining Photoshop aspect ratios in After Effects
            MoSean Level 1

Thanks very much Rick,

I'll go back and check that i've got everything set to square pixels. Ultimately what i'm trying to do is incorporate animation via rotoscoping & animation from 4:3 DV format matching that back to the original video - the idea is that it's an animated intro to a short doc, all set at 720 x 540. i wasn't aware of the new ratio, and my  knowledge of them in general is spotty. So thanks again for your quick and thorough advise!

Cheers, 

Sean

• 3. Re: Maintaining Photoshop aspect ratios in After Effects
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should also be aware that most DV cameras cut off 2 to 4 columns of pixels on the left and right of the image. A DV frame is not all active pixels. Neither is a NTSC 4:3 frame. These cut off or inactive pixels are in what is called overscan and they never show up on a TV or in a boradcast situation. Only computer monitors show all of the pixels in a video frame.

• 4. Re: Maintaining Photoshop aspect ratios in After Effects
                MoSean Level 1

Thanks again Rick. That solved my problem.

Cheers,

Sean