22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 2:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Stabilizing a video

OldRhind Level 1

Many years ago I used Premiere Pro 1.5 very successfully. However, it doesn't work with the newer formats, or at least not with .mov that I now have. One very useful feature was SteadyMove under the Video Effects, worked wonders with wobbly hand-held clips. I have been given Elements 10, can't say that I'm thrilled about it, but is there any similar plug-in that will work with it? Thanks.

David

• 1. Re: Stabilizing a video
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, David. Premiere Elements has its own forum and it's best to ask video questions there, since few of us here in the PSE forum use PRE. I'll move this for you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stabilizing a video
            whsprague Level 4

In the $$$ Premier Pro CS6 package there is Warp Stabilizer.  It is reputeded and demonstrated to be awsome.  In Premier Elements 11 there is an "Effect" called "Stabilizer" that can be applied.  I am a big fan of PrE11 and all it can do, but I can't make it work very well.  There are aftermarket plug-ins you can Google for.  YouTube has one that has worked well for me if I want to leave the video on YouTube.

• 3. Re: Stabilizing a video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Is it that you are not thrilled about Premiere Elements 10 or you have found the Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 10 under Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Video Stabilizer/Stabilizer and are not thrilled with the Stabilizer's performance for your project?

There are lots of online articles on the Premiere Elements Video Stabilizer. I would try that first if you have not already before you go looking at online alternatives. There are classical alternatives we can go into if you rule out Premiere Elements for your purposes.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Stabilizing a video
                OldRhind Level 1

Thanks for the information. After using Premiere Pro for years I was recently given PRE 10 so I'm still in the learning mode. I just didn't dig deep enough into the menus. Thanks for pointing me to it, will give it a try.

David

• 5. Re: Stabilizing a video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for the follow up. Please let us know if the Premiere Elements 10 Video Stabilizer does the job for you. If not, please mention how it did not work for you, and we can then think about what next if necessary.

ATR

• 6. Re: Stabilizing a video
                    OldRhind Level 1

The short answer is no. First off I should say that there isn't any wild camera movement in the clip, it's not like I was running across a ploughed field as I taped. It was of a concert, hand-held, but the camera was steadied to a degree by leaning against a frame. The movement is comparable to a slow rolling of a large ship on a calm sea. Ideal I would have thought for a stabilizing effect/filter.

I found the stabilizer effect, draggged it to the time line. Without rendering the clip the audio plays normally, the video remains frozen for 40 to 60 seconds then jumps forward, then it's frozen for another 40 to 60 seconds. I suppose it could be said that the the video is stabilized alright, but not quite the way I'd expected.

I was dismayed to find how long it took to render, about a frame per second (with a twin-core 2.4Ghz processor). Is there no pre-view in Elements without rendering? After rendering the video doesn't freeze, but it's jerky, looks as though it's skipping frames. Completely unusable.

One possible solution would be to convert the .mov files to .avi. If I could do that without losing quality I could go back the Premiere Pro which does have an excellent stabilizer. Anyone know of a good conversion program?

Thanks for any suggestions,

David

David

• 7. Re: Stabilizing a video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Rendering Premiere Elements (any version) Timeline content to which its Video Stabilizer Effect has been applied is, relatively speaking, a slow process as compared to use of many other Adobe Premiere Elements effects. In order to get the best possible preview of Video Stabilizer Effect you do need to render that Timeline content. It is a preview thing that is not required to continue. But, as a preview perk, it becomes needed if you want to catch a problem sooner than later. You know all that.

You might want to take a look at a Video Stabilizer thread at the muvipix web site

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11865&p=101253&hilit=Mercalli+Video+Sta bilizer#p101253

Interesting comments on alternatives to the Premiere Elements New Blue Video Stablilizer.

If you are looking to convert .mov to .avi, if you have not already, you might want to consider the free software MPEG Streamclip for this purpose.

We are looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Stabilizing a video
                        OldRhind Level 1

Thanks for your response. I was more than surprised to find how long the Stabilizer effect took to render in PRE10 as compared with 2D3 SteadyMove in Premiere Pro 1.5 which did not even need to be rendered to preview, and it is now 10 or more years old. (It was faster on my old laptop with a 1200MHz processor.) However, I left it to do its thing, but when I played the clip scene as a whole was steadier, less of a rolling motion, but the movement of people, a conductor's arm movement for instance, within the scene was jerky, like a stop-action movie (if that's the right term?) The end result was worse than the slow movement without any stabilizing

I followed the link you sent and found a reference to Muvee Turbo Stabilizer. The demo clips look good, and it has a free trial too so I'll give it a go.

As for the conversion I did try one converting program, free tial, but the result was dire, massive pixelation, many frames just shredded. Will try Streamclip, then compare the results of converting and using 23 SteadyMove with the Turbo Stabilizer output.

Thanks,

David

• 9. Re: Stabilizing a video
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Yours is an interesting question for which many have sought answers.

So looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Stabilizing a video
                            OldRhind Level 1

Further to my last........The Muvee Turbo Stabilizer doesn't support .mov files. That didn't take long!

David

• 11. Re: Stabilizing a video
                              OldRhind Level 1

And even further..... Having run out of stabilizing ideas I decided to convert .mov to avi. I downloaded Streamclip, but it won't run without an iPlayer alternative, a particular version of this alternative, not the latest one. Hmmmm! Beginning to sound flaky?

So I searched some more and found iSkysoft Video Converter. The review I read said, " great program, converts any format to any other format." It costs $69, but there's a free trial. I went with that. After converting the .mov file I did have an .avi file, of some sort, but Premiere Pro can't open it, "Unknown compression in file."

Back to the drawing board.

David...again.

• 12. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Do not be turned off by first impression of MPEG Streamclip. It is a great "free" program. I have used it many, many times with great success. And, it comes highly recommended by many. Here is the deal. It needs the MPEG2 playback component in order to function.

a. If you go the completely "free" route, you download and install the MPEG StreamClip + QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which comes with the MPEG2 Playback Component. The catch is that you have to uninstall the regular QuickTime latest version in order for the QuickTime Alternative 1.81 to install. And, yes, Premiere Elements will continue to work with this QuickTime Alternative 1.81 installed instead of the latest version of QuickTime.

b. If you want to keep your latest version of QuickTime, then you download just the MPEG StreamClip and buy the MPEG2 playback component from Apple (last look it was about $20 USA dollars).

If needed, I can work through the settings for the conversion to .mov to .avi if you supply information about frame sizes, frame rates and such. One of the perks of MPEG StreamClip is that it can address 4:3 and 16:9 video whereas some free programs such as Prism typically offer just 4:3 choice.

ATR

• 13. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                  OldRhind Level 1

Thank you very much for being so helpful. I don't have Quicktime, don't have anything with Apple in its name, nor anything that starts with i, so I won't need to uninstall. So I'll pick this up again tomorrow and post the result.

David

• 14. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                    OldRhind Level 1

Well now I may be getting somewhere. I used the MPEG Streamclip to convert the .mov file to .avi, (I had no idea that there could be so many flavours of .avi, I went with Apple DV, but that was just a guess.) So now I had an .avi clip, and joy of joys Premiere Pro 1.5 agreed to import it. I dragged it into the Timeline, that worked too, things were looking good. I applied the Steadymove effect, not a movement in the scene, pure magic! Or it would have been if it wasn't for the audio, it sounds like a demented mechanical insect, creak, creak, creak.

So now it seems to me that if I save the audio from the original clip as a separate file I should be able to import it into Premiere. Just one small detail, I don't know how to do that. If I open the original .mov clip in Elements can I save the audio as a separate file? Please say yes!

David

• 15. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                      whsprague Level 4

OldRhind wrote:

........ Please say yes!

David

Yes!

I've not done it.  But, if I were I would right click on the video in the timeline and unlink the video and audio.  Then I would delete the video half, saving the audio half.

In Share and Publish, under Computer at the bottom of the list, are some audio export choices. 

My first step may not be necessary.

Bill

• 16. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

David,

Let us see if this helps

If you have your original .mov clip on the Timeline of Premiere Elements 10,

a. Share/Computer/Audio with Presets: for AAC High Quality, AIFF, MP3 High Quality, Windows Waveform. Settings adjustments are available under Advanced Button of preset. And, you do not have to separate the video/audio if linked on Timeline.

b.Share/Computer/QuickTime and the like, you can go under Advanced Button and in Export Settings dialog opt for Export Audio, removing the check mark next to Export Video.

If you ever want to get rid of audio or video at Timeline level...right click clip there, then select from pop up menu either Delete Audio or Delete Video.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Also the following are the typical settings that I suggest for the conversion to DV AVI standard or widescreen, using MPEG Streamclip

For MPEG Streamclip

File Menu/Open Files

File Menu/Export to AVI

In the AVI/DivX Explorer Dialog:

Video Compressor: Apple DV/DVC PRO NTSC OR Apple DV PAL or Apple DVC PRO PAL, depending on your location.

Audio: Uncompressed

Frame Size 720 x 480 or 720 x 476, depending on NTSC or PAL location

Field Dominance: Lower Field First

ONLY if necessary, place a check mark next to Deinterlace Video

At the upper right of the dialog where it says Options, select either 4:3 or 16:9

Leave everything else as is for now.

Hit Make AVI.

ATR

• 17. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                          OldRhind Level 1

Wow! Have I ever opened a can of worms! I'll work my way through the steps and let you know how... if...it works.

During all of this I've discovered another problem with Elements 10. It can detect the fact that a camcorder is connected to the Firewire port, but there is no device control, no video, and no audio.  When the camcorder is connected Win7 pops open a "What do you want to do..." dialog box, and one of the options is Edit/Record video using Elements 10. In Elements it shows "Capturing Device Microsoft DV camera & VCR" And ""No device control." And the capture screen remains blank. (There is nothing wrong with the camcorder, other programs can control it.), but this has the makings of another thread so I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks again for the help,

David

• 18. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Could you confirm if you are doing DV standard or widescreen capture firewire into Premiere Elements 10 from your miniDV camcorder?

What have you set as the project preset for Premiere Elements 10 for this capture?

More on that later. Sounds interesting.

ATR

• 19. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                              DavidHH

I've equally had no success using the Elements 10 Stabilizer effect. Contrast that to the YouTube version which works quickly, extremely well for carefully shot handheld footage AND offers a download of an MP4 of the stabilized output. I've used it numerous times to make a saleable piece from footage shot with a Blackberry Tablet. I usually upload that file to my Viddler account where several versions are autogenerated for screens of various types. Examples available.

David

• 20. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

David

This is an older thread April - May 2013, but still a subject of interest.

Have you looked at the new video stabilizer that is included in Windows Movie Maker 2012 when that program is installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

ATR

• 21. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                                  DavidHH Level 1

I have not, but I'm likely to make an upgrade decision in the next few weeks and will look closely at Windows 8.1. Did you run v. 7 first and how happy are you with the (touch screen?) v. 8.1?

D

• 22. Re: Stabilizing a video
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DavidHH

I never went for the touch screen, mainly mouse user.

I am still using Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit, desktop computer. It is the laptop that now has Windows 8.1 64 bit (also no touch screen; I use mouse or touch pad, but use the mouse if one is around).

The laptop came with Windows 8 64 bit. And, it took a while to get accustomed to it, always gravitating to Windows 7. The first day that 8.1 64 bit became available I decided to give it a try. It scared me back to 8.0 64 bit within 24 hours. A major hang up was seeming to get forced into a Microsoft Account. After a few days more, information came on online how to get around the features that I found a nuisance. So, back to 8.1 on the laptop where I have been working for a while and am gradually adapting to its design.

If you have an electronics store nearby, it might be a good idea to visit its computer displays there if you have not already. But the bottom line is that Premiere Elements works well on either Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. And, when I am using Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 specifically on one of the three, Premiere Elements is a 64 bit application with all the resource perks that come with that type of 64 bit system.

ATR