11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 7:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Choosing appropriate project and export settings

Evertech

I have started archiving VHS videos and believe that I have a good process underway generating mp4 files that can happily be loading into my Premiere Elements 10.

My first question is about establishing suitable project settings.

My PAL video has frame size 768 X 576 pixels but there is not a project setting that matches that exactly. The closest seem to be  'Standard 48 kHz' presets under DV or Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders which is 720 X 576.

What to choose? Ideally I would like my project settings to match what video source I have.

Now my second question -

If I want to edit my video slightly I would expect that the size of the video output I produce should not differ much from the source.

To produce output to view on a computer aftePremiereElements1.jpgr minimal editing I have used the export settings shown here. What irks me is that the estimated file size if 3.3 Gb when the original mp4 file I imported into PE was just 560 Mb. Why the bloat?

• 1. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are you using to get this Frame Size?

My PAL video has frame size 768 X 576 pixels but there is not a project setting that matches that exactly.

PAL DV Video is 720 x 576, and not 768 x 576. Something is very wrong.

Depending on whether you have Standard, or Widescreen, the PAR will be 1.066 or 1.422.

Are you certain about the pixel x pixel dimensions from you digitizing software?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
            Evertech Level 1

Original VHS video has been captured by OSPrey-230 video capture card using VirtualDub.

• 3. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And you ended up with 768 x 576? That is odd indeed.

Since VHS was NOT Widescreen 16:9, is your PAR 1.066?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                Evertech Level 1

Bill,

I have referred to the user guide for my Osprey capture card.

In configuring the video settings it states "Use the Square Pixels settings for video that will be viewed by a computer monitor. This setting results in a square aspect ratio sampling of the source video. This results in a source image of 640X480 for 525-line standards and 768X576 for 625-line standards."

It goes further to say to use the CCIR-601 setting if the captured video will be later viewed on a dedicated video monitor, which results in a horizontal size of 720 instead of 768 pixels.

This will lead to the image being squeezed on a computer monitor.

Should I be complying with CCIR-601?

The dialog below is where these settings are configured:

Osprey230.jpg

What will be the consequences of the video I have recorded so far with 'square pixels'? Should I recapture it? - potentially a lot of work ...

• 5. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Evertech

This is my take on what you are presenting which is a non square pixels versus square pixels issue/interpretation matter.

This is a 4:3 matter related to the project presets currently available in Premiere Elements, your video editor.

Your 768 x 576 is the square pixel equivalent of the 720 x 576 non square pixels.

Until proven other wise, I suggest set up for whatever gives 720 x 576 and then take that source media into Premiere Elements using, in your case, the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = PAL DV Standard.

Note the description of the PAL DV Standard preset: 720 x 576 with the pixel aspect ratio = 1.0940 (correction factor). For now, more details on that another time pending further developments.

What you do with on export is another matter which could involve settings adjustments under the Advanced Button Tabs for the preset selected for your export type.

Quick check out:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/859687

More detailed references on Pixel Aspect Ratio upon request.

Please review the comments and then please let us know if any of the information worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Back in post #1 of this thread you wrote:

"Depending on whether you have Standard, or Widescreen, the PAR will be 1.066 or 1.422"

Where did you get those PAR values? I suspect that they are from your Premiere Elements 4 or 7 new project dialog description of the PAL DV Standard and Widescreen respectively project preset or from some version of Premiere Pro earlier than CS6 (CS2 shows those 1.066 and 1.422 values for PAL DV Standard and Widescreen project presets).

If you check Premiere Elements 11, 10, 9.0/9.0.1, and 8.0/8.0.1, you will see that Adobe is there using the PAR values of 1.0940 and 1.4587, not 1.066 and 1.422, in the description of PAL DV Standard and Widescreen respectively project preset. From what I have read Premiere Pro CS6 falls into line with the 1.0940 and 1.4587 values.

ATR

• 7. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I just grabbed the PAL PAR settings from Photoshop, which has the Adobe/BBC PAR's:

PAL_PAR.png

Hunt

• 8. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Have you see the following information listed under

Summary for PAL Formats

http://andyrutter.com/pixel-aspect-ratio/

From what version of Photoshop is the screenshot that you are presenting. It would appear that the current Adobe is not using those PAR values for PAL DV Standard and Widescreen and is going with the 1.0940 and 1.4587 values.

The use of PAR = 1.066 for PAL DV Standard would make for a neat non square pixels to square pixels correction ("720 x 576" x 1.066 = 768) outcome, but Adobe is not using that 1.066 PAR value for its more recent Premiere Elements versions for PAL DV Standard.

I believe there might be a way to create a Premiere Elements project preset for 768 x 576 square pixels. I will give it a try if indicated.

ATR

• 9. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I had not seen that article.

The version of PS on this laptop is CS 2 (9.0.2)

Hunt

• 10. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Just checked with my PS CS 6 and PrPro CS 6, and the PAR's have changed. It was my bad memory, that PS CS 2 had the corrected PAR's, but research showed that it was PS CS 4, when the PAR's were adjusted by Adobe.

Thank you for pointing that out. The adjusted PAL PAR's are now: 1.09 & 1.46 http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f3aa.htm l

Hunt

• 11. Re: Choosing appropriate project and export settings
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Great article.

As a first pass, I am looking forward to Evertech's results from my encouragement to use the 720 x 576 file and the Premiere Elements PAL DV Standard project preset and then make his decisions for the export under the Advanced Button of the export preset.

But I do need to take a first hand look at that Osprey-230 Video Device Properties Instruction Manual's settings descriptions.

Thanks.

ATR