3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 3:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Is it possible to import multiple clips "as one"?

wolf13132132312312

In Sony Sonaps System is it possible to import a whole XDCam Disk as one. The clips are separated with marker. Is there a possibility in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to import multiple clips "as one"?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Sort of.

Each 'clip' will come in separately.  The only time PP will do what you ask is with spanned files, where a single long take is broken down into separate files.  PP will see those multiple files as one long clip.  But every time the camera was stopped will generate a new clip, and PP will only see that as a separate clip.

I'm curious why you'd want this, though.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to import multiple clips "as one"?
            CarButtonCloth

I see right where Wolf is coming from. I too used the Sonaps system at my old job and importing multiple clips as one composite clip was a godsend. In my case, we were in a news environment and when a reporter hands me a two minute script that needed to be edited and sent to a playlist server in twenty minutes, the ability to have everything as one clip in a preview window while editing made searching for a shot much much faster.

Often in a newsroom environment there are several people who need access to the same material at the same time. You could easily have a reporter logging footage for a story while, at the same time a producer and promo person log for other purposes. Then you have the editor cutting teases and vosot while the photographer edits one or two stories from the same footage at the same time. All of this being sent to play out in a very quick turnaround.

As you can see, it's very handy to simplify things and have everything as one clip with one timecode.

In the past two years I've gotten used to searching through several individual clips, but coming from the "old" way, clip by clip is tedious as hell and I'd gladly import multiple clips as one composite clip if I had the chance.

It's just the difference between a production environment and a news environment where you have probably 20 hours of footage from various crews generayed daily, that needs to be used by multiple people at the same time. And at the end of the day, maybe 5% of that will ever be used again. The same content gathering cycle starts anew just a few short hours later and it all starts over again.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to import multiple clips "as one"?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

the ability to have everything as one clip in a preview window while editing made searching for a shot much much faster.

You can do that with nested sequences.  And if you click the icon to the left of the magnet under the sequence timecode, you can even insert them as the original clips rather than as a nest.