3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2007 10:43 AM by Applied CD

Video Formats

brayd0n
      I have been having problems finding a format that allows me to Import video in MX Director at the actual FP rate. It seems that I keep importing video that imports a the single "1 FP" rate.

I am creating an interactive video that I need to stop at various frames so I am curious to which format is best for both quality and FP capabilities.

I have tired .Mov, .Swf, .Avi and .Flv.

Maybe I am compressing with the wrong codec for Director to recognize the FP....
      ??
        • 1. Re: Video Formats
          BSpero Level 1
          Hello,
          By FP, are you refering to the frame rate? Like, FPS= Frames per Second? If that is the case, then an .flv and .swf won't work. Quicktime (.mov) and Windows Video (.avi) should both work. If you're on a Mac, you'll probably have to use the Quicktime. What program are you creating the video with, and can you view it properly outside of director?
          • 2. Re: Video Formats
            brayd0n Level 1
            I am just basically looking for a format when loaded in director allows me to scrub through it frame by frame. So upon importing it I can view the amount of frames that the video has via property inspector and Frames: ___ at the bottom of the properties
            • 3. Re: Video Formats
              Applied CD Level 1
              I’m not a video expert but I can give you a heads up on some trouble we had with a similar project. I needed to create chapter marks that when clicked would jump the video to a specific time. Unlike your case I had about a ½ second landing zone (about 15 frames). We found it was VERY difficult (more like impossible) to get Director to jump to a video location with this degree of accuracy when played on a variety of machines, at least when using WMV or MPG1. The problem turned out to be the spacing between the video keyframes, some machines could interpolate (tween) an intermediate frame on the fly, others had to scan back to the last keyframe. The client hated watching the video scan back so our ultimate solution ended up being increasing the size of the landing zone to 1 second (30 frames) and decreasing the span between keyframes to ½ second, thereby guaranteeing a keyframe in our landing zone. Good luck but my suspicion is that you will not be able to get Director to display video with single frame accuracy when using a compressed video format … It might work with an uncompressed AVI where every single frame is fully rendered but be prepared for HUGE files.