0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2007 6:44 PM by doug777

A Plea to Adobe

doug777 Level 1
      RemoteObject is poorly designed when used to interface with CFCs to get data from a database. It desperately needs some additional functionality as follows:

Two new properties for mx.rpc.remoting.RemoteObject:

suspendMainThread - default false. Who wants to get data and then not use it immediately? - When set to true, effectively curbs the asynchronous nature of the remote object call.

setSuspendPeriod - default and max allowed 15 seconds - but can be set to shorter times if user prefers.

--
      One new property and one new method for mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent:

preserveDate - default false. Changes the default action when converting received date/time objects so that actual time received is set as the local time i.e. all timezone information is ignored when set to true.

resumeMainThread() - called at the end of the ResultEvent handler to hand control back to the main program. Ignored if the initiating RemoteObject's suspendMainThread is false.

--
      A new event for mx.rpc.events:

TimeoutEvent - terminates the main thread and allows the user to display a suitable message such as 'Looks like someone's pulled the plug on your internet connection.' (Almost same as FaultEvent.)

--
      These would be so useful to avoid the ugly programming needed right now to get around the limitations of this class, which I guess was originally designed for messaging applications.

I do hope someone at Adobe can get this on the 'to do' list asap.

Hopefully,
      Long-suffering RemoteObject user