11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 8:48 AM by Dave LaRonde

Can I render video only?

bondopher

I've searched several discussion forums to learn why After Effects keeps causing me rendering issues. The most common cause reported is that After Effects has issues with Quick Time 7. The work around recommended is to use a previous version of Quick Time. But my camera records files that only Quick Time 7 will play. Can I work around the audio issues between the two programs by simply rendering video only? Can I import a file without audio? Does anyone know of a reasonable workaround for this issue?

• 1. Re: Can I render video only?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, rather than let us guess around, why not provide some "hard"info? Sorry to say so, but you're losing yourself in vagueries based on hearsay. If you have a specific issues, simply explain them and provide the relevant info - system specs, file specs, AE version, render settings, comp settings and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can I render video only?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't really understand your dilemma, because if you render a quicktime movie using the AE Render Queue (don't export!), AE defaults to rendering without audio: you have to specify that you want audio.

Can I import a file without audio? Does anyone know of a reasonable workaround for this issue?

Sure: just turn off the audio.  When you add the clip to the AE timeline, you'll see a little speaker icon with the layer.  Click on it.  The audio is now turned off.

• 3. Re: Can I render video only?
              bondopher Level 1

Mylenium,

Sorry to be so vague.

System Specs:   Processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120   3.3GHz

Ram 4 GB

QuickTime version: 7

After Effects version: 4.1

Imported footage:   .MOV   length (15 seconds)   file size (39 MB)   resolution (HD 1280x720)

Composition Settings:   HDTV 1280x720  

Full resolution

30 fps   (dur 20 seconds)

Render Settings:   Quality:   best

Resolution:   full

Proxy use:   current settings

Effects:   current settings

Frame blending:   current settings

Field render:   off

Frame rate:   30

Use storage overflow:   yes

Output module:   Lossless

video for Windows Movie

no compression

Output audio:   off

I've rendered it multiple times and AE seems to struggle with the rendering. It's frozen a couple times, and crashed altogher once. The two times it completed the render I couldn't play it in either Windows Media Player or QuickTime. QuickTime threw this error:    Error -50 an unknown error occurred

I've heard that After Effects no matter what version has issues with QuickTime 7. Most the feedback claims it is an issue with the audio codec. I was wondering if I could work around this by cutting out the audio in either the render or the import.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Can I render video only?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Wow. That is a version of After Effects that is more than 15 years old. I'm surprised that you can even run it at all on Windows 7 or with any modern footage.

I recommend upgrading to a version of After Effects from the past five years if you're going to run it on Windows 7.

• 5. Re: Can I render video only?
                  bondopher Level 1

Dave,

Thanks for you response. After my initial post, I noticed the audio "off" option and tried that. Unfortunately this didn't help. Neither QuickTime nor Windows Media Player will play the rendered file. I was hoping there would be a work around. I tried replacing QuickTime 7 with a previous version (6.5.2). This seems to solve the problem for most people, suggesting that the issue is indeed with QuickTime 7. Unfortunately I'm unable to record .mov files that will work with previous versions of QuickTime. So far I've had to work around by editing/rendering my video in Movie Maker and using stills only in After Effects.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

• 6. Re: Can I render video only?
                    bondopher Level 1

Todd,

Yeah, I know. I used this program when I was in school in 98 - 99. I do intend to upgrade to the current version of AE when I have the money. Unfortunately it is what it is for the time being. I'm sure you know that Windows 7 offers an XP compatability mode in which my version is forced to run. This hasn't caused any issues yet... unless of course this is the cause. I considered this when I initially ran into this problem. However, this issue seems to be experienced with even the latest version of AE. On the up side, the hardware I'm running is obviously light years ahead of anything available so long ago and everything else works beautifully as a result.

• 7. Re: Can I render video only?
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I can only concur - that is one helluva old version from a time when Todd probably still had some hair. Short of the workarounds you already employed I see no way of resolving your issues. You might try and find some used copy of CS4 at least somewhere, otherwise I'd really consider getting a subscription/ Creative Cloud to do your work, be it just a monthly plan where you only pay when you need to use it once a year...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Can I render video only?
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

As Todd points out, your main problem is that you have an old, old version of AE.  QT7 wouldn't even have been invented for another 10 years or so... and the codec selections have changed.

.MOV only indicates that it's a quicktime.  It's the media container, not the codec.  Open the clip in QT player and get the codec specs on it.

And get yourself more memory while you're at it: 4 gigs is enough to run the OS and any recent AE version, but that's about it.  You say you want to actually DO something with AE?  Think about 8 gigs minimum.

• 9. Re: Can I render video only?
                          bondopher Level 1

Todd,

That's not a bad idea, I've considered it. I was hoping to find a quick fix to get me through this project. But I suppose you're probably right. Thanks for the help.

• 10. Re: Can I render video only?
                            bondopher Level 1

Dave,

Wow, ok. I didn't realize I'd need anything more than 4 gigs. Is this requirement due to the new OS? I used this program in 98 - 99 without any issues. I can't open the file in QuickTime. Do you have a suggestion on how to get the codec specs?

• 11. Re: Can I render video only?
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, surely you have the camera specs stashed somewhere.  It will also tell you the file types, media container & codecs it records.  If not, a quick trip to google ought to solve that one....