5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 7:07 AM by D Fosse

How to set up color management after installation

xismo123

I recently bought a new laptop (Asus UX51 with FHD IPS display). The colors were really inaccurate, Photoshop or Illustrator displayed gray colors as browns. I went to check what profile was being used and found out it was a custom Asus profile. So I selected sRGB which fixed the grays, but the colors were still off.

I then went and bought a Spyder4pro and calibrated my display which made the colors accurate. The issue I'm having now is how to set up color management inside Adobe applications. Windows is using the calibrated profile but when I open up files in Photoshop which uses sRGB for RGB color mode the colors are off. The only way I can get accurate colors is if I use my custom calibrated profile in Photoshop / Illustrator, but when I do an export using save for web it gets converted to sRGB and the colors are off again. I know I can turn off the conversion to sRGB but don't really want to do that as I don't want my files to have a custom profile.

Can you guys please recommend a good way to set this up for consistently accurate colors?

• 1. Re: How to set up color management after installation
          SasquatchPatch Level 2

You need to use a browser that is color managed and uses the profiles. That will solve your problem. The correct methodology for web viewing is to convert to sRGB and embed that profile. sRGB is NOT a custom profile, only an RGB working space designation that is the most commonly used one for online viewing.

• 2. Re: How to set up color management after installation
            xismo123 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that the correct setup is to have my calibrated profile used as a working space in RGB and then when exporting convert to sRGB while embedding the profile in the export dialog?

Just tried it but as soon as I check the convert to sRGB option the colors shift even when embed the color profile is selected.

• 3. Re: How to set up color management after installation
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In terms of Photoshop's color settings (which many sync with other Adobe apps): http://digitaldog.net/files/Photoshop_Color_Settings.mov

xismo123 wrote:

Can you guys please recommend a good way to set this up for consistently accurate colors?

• 4. Re: How to set up color management after installation
                SasquatchPatch Level 2

NO you use the monitor profile as the monitor profile and the working space as the working space. You're getting confused as to the difference between the two. Whatever working space you use, you need to convert to sRGB and embed that sRGB profile in your file. Then you need to use a color managed browser - that means ONLY IE9, Firefox or Safari. No fuckiing Chrome, as it doesn't know what the hell a profile is, no matter what Google might want you to believe. If you're using a wide gamut monitor, which I don't think you are, it only makes matters worse.

Peter Figen Photography

5069 Exposition Blvd.

Los Angeles, Ca. 90016

310-301-2509 studio

310-871-5656 cell

www.peterfigen.com

• 5. Re: How to set up color management after installation
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As said above, color management requires two profiles to operate: a source profile, and a destination profile. For display, the destination is the monitor profile. I think this is what's confusing you.

Windows is using the calibrated profile but when I open up files in Photoshop which uses sRGB

Windows isn't using anything, it doesn't do any color management on its own. It's just making profiles available for individual applications.

When you calibrate a display you actually do two separate things. You first calibrate it to a more or less standardized response. The calibration is global and affects everything system-wide because it's read into the video card or monitor hardware. But it's a very simple linear correction.

Then, once calibrated, a monitor profile is made. This is a full, complete and accurate description of the monitor's behavior, in three-dimensional color space. The precision level is much higher. This profile is used, by color managed applications like Lightroom and Photoshop, to display the image.

If that monitor profile is bad, as the Asus profile obviously was, it affects Photoshop/Lightroom and other color managed applications only. A quick fix is to use sRGB (or Adobe RGB for wide gamut) as monitor profile, but the real solution is to let the calibrator make a new one. Then Photoshop will automatically use that profile for display. Again, this has nothing to do with document profile or working space. Use sRGB there and embed that profile.

when I do an export using save for web it gets converted to sRGB and the colors are off again

Yes, it's converted to sRGB if it isn't already, but the important thing with SFW is that the profile itself is stripped by default. You have to tick a box in the SFW dialog to embed the profile. Just a holdover from pre-color managed browser days.