11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 9:59 AM by Oddshot

Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5

Walt Bilofsky Level 1

Is there a way to reduce the overall volume level for playback in the Program Monitor window in Premiere Pro CS5?

I don't want to change the level in the project, just how loudly the monitor plays.

I can reduce it using the Windows volume adjustments, but then have to put it back when exiting PPro, and in the meantime notification sounds from other running programs can be lost.

• 1. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Is there a way to reduce the overall volume level for playback in the Program Monitor window in Premiere Pro CS5?

I don't want to change the level in the project, just how loudly the monitor plays.

Windows volume adjustments, or turn down your speakers.

..in the meantime notification sounds from other running programs can be lost.

Adjust their levels to make them louder.

• 2. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The only ways to adjust the volume within PP is with the Mixer, Volume effect or clip Gain.

• 3. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
              Walt Bilofsky Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Jim.

I can't take seriously a suggestion to adjust the volume of all the other programs on my PC.

And I can't fathom how a program suite that sells for a four figure price tag could lack a simple user feature like a volume control.

Just my opinion.

• 4. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello, @ Walt:  if you are on windows 7

have you tried clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray

then click on mixer

then you should see different sliders: one of which should be system sounds, etc.

which allows you to control the volume of system sounds in relationship to other 'programs' you have opened

cheers, j

• 5. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't fathom how a program suite that sells for a four figure price tag could lack a simple user feature like a volume control.

Well, PP is not a media player, it's an NLE.  Those are very different things.  Volume for confortable listening can be adjusted via the OS and the speakers, there's really no need for PP to have a volume control.

• 6. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                    Walt Bilofsky Level 1

I am of course using PP as an editor, not a media player.  The issue is how PP makes it difficult for the user to use the computer (yes, Windows 7) for multiple concurrent tasks.

My email program gives an audible notice of incoming email.  Several other programs have been set to appropriate volume levels.  Once everything is adjusted, I don't need to touch the OS or speaker adjustments from month to month.

Until I start a project with PP, that is.

If I do change the OS or speaker adjustment to accommodate PP, then I need to put them back when done, try to find the same setting, and accept that other programs used during the PP session or project will have inconcenient volume levels.

Or I could adjust all the programs.  Then I would have to go through that again when editing another video with a different volume level.

Yes, these are all workarounds.  But they are impositions, not fixes.

If the only or primary use of the computer were PP, then these suggestions might make more sense.  But it is poor software design to expect the user and the other applications on a multi-use computer to accommodate one program's arbitrary fixed setting.

• 7. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                      joe bloe premiere Level 5

If the only or primary use of the computer were PP, then these suggestions might make more sense.

You can file a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 8. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

The issue is how PP makes it difficult for the user to use the computer (yes, Windows 7) for multiple concurrent tasks.

Well, you really shouldn't be using it for anything but editing anyway.  Have a second computer for other tasks.

it is poor software design to expect the user and the other applications on a multi-use computer to accommodate one program's arbitrary fixed setting.

I'm not sure it's arbitrary.  I'd guess that PP's audio output is set to 0 dBFS, which is appropriate for a professional NLE.

• 9. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                          tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

i agree with having a separate rig only for editing

it would be interesting to run a poll on PPRO users:

which users have a dedicated editing rig?

which users have PPRO installed on a multi-program-use comptuer (email, games, surfing, taxes, etc)?

the propellerhead reason forum has a way for a user to create a thread that has a poll at the beginning of it

personally, the editing rig i use doesn't touch the internet, the hdd's are 75% empty, and has been through blackviper's tweaks for windows 7

it is a very groovy machine...

cheers, j

• 10. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                            Walt Bilofsky Level 1

I'd love to see the results of that poll.  If someone sets it up, please post a link here.

I use PPRO occasionally on my home computer as a volunteer for a nonprofit which owns the software.  So perhaps you can appreciate that I was a little taken aback by the suggestion that the solution was to change all the other settings on the machine - let alone buy a dedicated editing machine.

But I guess you folks are serious - in several senses of the word - and I'm playing in a bigger sandbox than I thought.  Thanks for the comments.

• 11. Re: Adjust Playback Volume Level in Program Monitor - PPro CS5
                              Oddshot

Well Walt, I am with you... seems to be a no brainer to have a playback volume adjust, even for serious editors...

...I think I am fairly serious, but maybe not because I like to listen to music as I work sometimes... and, GASP! have the music stream from the same computer I am editing on...

...is that really so ridiculous?

What I find a little ridiculous is that when I am working with clips I want to mute the volume on (because I am listening to music on my more-than-one-app computer), I have to drag the clips into the timeline to do the rough cutting (so I can adjust the volume), instead of simply to the source monitor.

Really now, if PPro had a volume adjust in the monitors, it would no longer be considered a professional application? That makes me snicker

Anyway... I guess this answers the question I was going to ask, "Where is the playback volume adjustment?"

1 person found this helpful