6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 2:03 PM by Klaus_Brandenburg

Quick Help With Titles Please

alexdejesus Level 1

I don't use AE enough to remember a lot of this, but please refresh me on how to make the black areas of a title sequence transparent? Also, I'm having a heck of a time importing either the Premiere sequence into this for reference or importing the AE comp into Premiere. Both apps keep crashing when I do, so I'm rendering avi's out of AE and bringing into Premiere to put on timeline. Original footage is XDCAM EX 1920x1080 30fps

The title is just text with a preset intro animation applied. Nothing else.

The shutterstock file is the curtain that I'm not doing a good job of keying, but that's another story.AE Titles Trans.jpg

• 1. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Have you confirmed that the Text 01 nested comp contains transparency?  Toggle on the checkerboard switch at the bottom of the comp windo to display the familiar Photoshop checkerboard: if you don't see it, you don't have transparency.

I presume you're familiar with the procedure to render movies out of AE with slpha channels on them.

• 2. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
            lasvideo Level 4

And just in case you are not familiar (or forget),  make sure you make this selection when setting up the render queue. 

Screen Shot 2013-04-29 at 1.19.18 PM.png

• 3. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
              alexdejesus Level 1

And if I'm on a PC, should I choose Quicktime?

And yes, I checked off the transparency on all the precomps and I see the checkerboard. Didn't know that was necessary

• 4. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
                lasvideo Level 4

As long as the QT codec you choose supports having an alpha channel. I have used DNxHD (download PC version from Avid for free) with good results.

• 5. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not necessary to show the checkerboard, it's just an easy way to see if you have transparency. You can check the alpha by looking at the channels or by revealing the checkerboard. The view channels options are the three little circles (red green and blue) at the bottom of the comp window.

If you set Millions of colors + and RGB + Alpha in the output module you must have chosen a format that supports alpha channels. PNG QuickTime works well, Animation QT always works. If the codec does not support alphas then you should not have the options to set RGB + Alpha in the output module.

• 6. Re: Quick Help With Titles Please
                    Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

With then Quicktime DNxHD codec you also need to go into "Format Options" -> "Codec Settings" and select whether you want it compressed or uncompressed. Not doing this will give you no alpha even if you selected RGB+Alpha output.

BTW. Todd!!!!! Why is my Codec Settings cropped and I can't select any alpha options on Win7 64bit, AE CS6 11.0.2.12, QT 7.7.3 ???

alpha.PNG