4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 4:24 PM by Rick Gerard

Compositing Tips

chriscool_888

I've been using After Effects for awhile but haven't tackled compositing. I need to compsit the special fx orb over the prop orb that is in the footage, as you can see in the pictures that are posted. Hopefully it's possible to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Prop.jpgOrb.jpg

• 1. Re: Compositing Tips
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Two questions:

What kind of movement is present in these two clips?

How realistic does this need to be?

• 2. Re: Compositing Tips
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are going to need duplicate the footage of the actor and sphere,  to do some Roto of the actor on the top copy, then insert your VFX orb in between. Depending on how you created the FVX orb you may want to use several copies with various blend modes and blurs to enhance the effect. You'll also want to add some color correction to the top copy of the actor so that it looks like green light is coming from the fvx orb.

The hardest part will be the roto. RotoBrush may work just fine for you. Once the layers are separated it's just a matter of experimenting a bit and not trying to do the whole composite with just 3 layers.

Here's a start with some very quick roto using your screenshots. It should give you some ideas. There's a masked adjustment layer to color correct the warm highlights on the hair and hands, a feathered and masked cyan solid set to Screen to add some glow from the orb, The rotoed copy of the original footage, the prop ORB just set to Screen (if you have a copy of that orb with an alpha you'll have more options), then the original background shot with a hole cut in it to hide the prop orb. It took me about 5 minutes. This should give you an idea.

composite.jpg

• 3. Re: Compositing Tips
              chriscool_888 Level 1

Thank you for the tips and thanks for the screen shot . I did what you said and rotobrushed the actor. It was extremely time consuming because I can never get the rotobrush tool to work very well. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Compositing Tips
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad to help.