29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2017 1:35 PM by filmpantera

Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

Loveppro11 Level 1

I have been doing Blu-Ray DVDs with Encore with audio and video insync for quite sometime.

Now my video and audio plays fine in preview from the timeline in Encore but, when I burn the Blu-Ray and play it

the audio is out of sync by roughly 5-7 seconds.

Workflow:

1. Export movie from PPRO CS6 in H.264 format for Blu-ray like always.

2. Import movie and .acs file into Encore 6.0.1 as a timeline.

3. Put Menu together, play the movie from start to finish in Encore preview- audio plays fine with people speaking

4. Then, build.

4. Drag files over to Roxio Toast to burn DVDs.

6. Play Blu-Ray DVDs in my Sony Blu-Ray player only to find the audio goes out of sync.

I thought the 6.01 Mac update took care of this issue?

I did notice that the audio file is longer than the video file by a number of frames - 18 to be exact.

• 1. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
          bigmanfontu Level 1

Hello.

I apologize if I don't have it all together, but when you say blu-ray DVD, do you mean blu-ray compatible content converted into DVD format?  Or do you mean blu-ray content that is shrunk in size to fit onto a DVD disc?

I've noticed the previews are pretty accurate.  How long is the movie?

• 2. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
            Loveppro11 Level 1

Encore files.jpg

This is a question on audio going out of sync on my Blu-ray DVD player per the above workflow though with Encore open and doing a PREVIEW the audio is synced.

The video and audio file are exported from Premeire Pro CS6 for H.264 for Blu-Ray codec in Adobe Media Encoder.

The files are show above.

• 3. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
              bigmanfontu Level 1

So you're making a blu-ray then?  Not a DVD?

• 5. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                Loveppro11 Level 1

I origionally stated Blu-Ray DVD, its a type of DVD media.

If I say SD DVD then its a Standard Definition DVD media.

• 6. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would also build to a folder and test playback on the computer.

Do you have a link to the pre-6.0.1 issue and wehre it says it was fixed? If it is not fixed, you should file a bug report.

Technically its a Bluray Disk, not a DVD. But as long as we know its Bluray, not a problem. Occassionally, we get users who do not know which type of project they are working on.

• 7. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                    Loveppro11 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

What software will play Blu-ray from a folder

On my Power Mac?

David Ethridge

Creative Producer/Owner

AVR Films

www.avrfilms.com

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

What software will play Blu-ray from a folder

On my Power Mac?

Ah. A good question. The discussions I am recalling for mac were mounting an iso; which is also fine for troubleshooting.

• 9. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                        Loveppro11 Level 1

Did the iso but, after opening it im stuck with a blu-ray file I cant play unless I burn a blu-ray.

Waste of a disc.

Interesting new fact though.

I didnt change the Audio type this time from WAV to Dolby Digital in the H.264 BLU-RAY CODEC PRESET for 23.976 frames

from the preset in the MEDIA ENCODER like I have always done before.

Movie Audio Legnth for DIGITAL DOLBY WAS 2:35:18:05 .AC3

Movie WAV Audio Length: 2:35:08:16

Movie Length has been:       2:35:08:16 .M4V

(Blu-Ray Transcode Status: Dont Transcode and Blu-ray Transcode Settings: Dont Transcode)

Movie Audio Length NOW matches the length of the movie.

Should I always be using the WAV audio?

• 10. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                          Loveppro11 Level 1

Dumb question:

What do you mean by mounting and iso?

• 12. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                            Loveppro11 Level 1

Very cool.

The Blu-Ray player software worked great playing the Encore menu and movie.

I can now check Blu-Ray Discs without burning them.

Problem: Encore 6.0.1 preview player wouldnt play the audio out of sync but, was out of sync

later when I played the disc in my Blu-ray player with the Digital Dobly setting selected

on the H.264 Blu-ray preset vs the default WAV audio setting.

• 13. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

What do you mean by mounting and iso?

An iso is an image of a disk. To use it, you must tell the computer it is a disk, not just a file. That process is "mounting," as in mount a disk. On PCs, it takes a separate program, usually free, to mount an iso.

• 14. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

Should I always be using the WAV audio?

You should be able to use dolby. I don't think the project setting for default transcode should matter, and that's all I can think up that might change your project. I would suspect the export, but you're using PR/AME. Interesting finding.

In Encore, I would also test changing the wav transcode setting to dolby and see if that matters.

• 15. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                  neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the frame rate of the original source files please?

Also the sample rate of the audio?

• 16. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                    Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking at the OP question date, I hope it has been sorted by now

• 17. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                      AGM014

I have found that the easiest way to solve the out of sync issue when it occurs is to export from Premiere Pro exactly as you normally do...but before you hit export, Go to the Multiplexer tab and select the first option, "TS" instead of "none."

This will marry the audio and video together like a normal self-contained file, while still retaining the blu-ray video and dolby audio required for Encore to export without retranscoding.

Then you import as asset like normal and select the file with the extension .m2t. When you put it on the timeline both the audio and video will be there and should be in perfect sync throughout.

• 18. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                        filmpantera

Hi.  I found this thread.  I'm having trouble with audio/video sync and tried your solution above where I render a .m2t file and using multiplxer "TS".

The resulting file, if I double check in a media player, does indeed marry the audio and video into a single file.

However, when I import the timeline into Adobe encore, only the video file is imported into encore.   There is no audio.  Can you advise?  Thanks.

• 19. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dont use the multiplexer set it to None.

This will give you two files one for audio and one for video

You need to import them separately.

• 20. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                            filmpantera Level 1

Thanks.  I did try that.  The issue was that the audio/video went out of sync so someone suggested the multiplexer solution which didn't work - or at least when I imported the m2t file, it only brought in the video.

I did import the audio and video files into at timeline.  Again, it works fine on a Blu Ray recorder hooked to a PC.  However, when I test it in a Blu Ray player (I've done two), the audio and video start to go out of sync after several minutes and stay out of sync for the remainder.

Someone surmised it was buffering and that I had to set the bitrate lower - from 20Mbps to 15Mbps but I tried that and had no effect.

This is using a BD-R disc and an external LG Blu Ray writer.  I'm burning another Blu Ray from a different render now and will see if I still have the same issue.

• 21. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

Try H.264 Bluray, make iso then burn to disk.

• 22. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                                filmpantera Level 1

Well, I'll try that.  I was told that MPEG-2 is a better video render.  The timeline I'm rendering is a full length feature move, 01:45:00:00.

I'm staring at the Blu Ray in my Sony BD player (about seven years old) that plays my normal Blu Ray discs just fine.  The sync is fine for the first seven minutes or so then you can see it start to drift.  If I fast forward to later in the movie, the sync is definitely off by at least a frame.  The sound is ahead of the video.

If I play the same Blu Ray in the external BD player on a different computer from which it was rendered, the sync is fine.

I've rendered this as an MP4 file to review and that sync is fine.  I worked with my sound guy on the 5.1 mix a few days ago and

Strangely enough, the multiplexer .mt2 file that I rendered and play on Windows Media player is completely in sync.

I could try and have someone create the BD on a completely different system with other software.  But I absolutely have a sync problem.

For the record, here was my workflow:

Shot on BMCC and captured in ProRes, 23.976fps

Sound on external Tascam recorder

At picture lock, images rendered in QT 4444 and sent to colorist. (Overkill but that's what the colorist wanted).

Post production sound done in ProTools by a guy who knows what he's doing.  20% ADR which matches up fine.  Sound is in multiple STEMS and ready for 5.1.

Colorist returns file back as QT 422 and synced with sound.  MP4 renders are all fine.

Issue occurs when creating Blu Ray, specifically when trying to view on multiple external Blu Ray players.  Works fine on a Blu Ray recorder hooked up to different PC's.  DVDs appear to sync fine.

I'm stumped.

• 23. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                                  dilshan128 Level 1

hi, filmpantera were you able to fix your problem. I'm having the same issue, but couldn't find a solution yet.

• 24. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

This is using a BD-R disc and an external LG Blu Ray writer.

Are you burning from Encore? Or building an image an burning from a different app? Using another app to burn solves some odd problems.

Do the video and audio files show as "do not transcode" in the Encore project panel under BD transcode status?

Are you using the same batch of disks? Generally disk problems result in no burn, but there have been other oddities.

• 25. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

Do the video and audio files show as "do not transcode" in the Encore project panel under BD transcode status?

dont think so. Colorist returns file as QT422 so it gets encoded.

File should be encoded in Premiere not Encore.

• 26. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                                        neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

filmpantera  wrote

Well, I'll try that.  I was told that MPEG-2 is a better video render.  The timeline I'm rendering is a full length feature move, 01:45:00:00.

I'm staring at the Blu Ray in my Sony BD player (about seven years old) that plays my normal Blu Ray discs just fine.  The sync is fine for the first seven minutes or so then you can see it start to drift.  If I fast forward to later in the movie, the sync is definitely off by at least a frame.  The sound is ahead of the video.

If I play the same Blu Ray in the external BD player on a different computer from which it was rendered, the sync is fine.

I've rendered this as an MP4 file to review and that sync is fine.  I worked with my sound guy on the 5.1 mix a few days ago and

Strangely enough, the multiplexer .mt2 file that I rendered and play on Windows Media player is completely in sync.

I could try and have someone create the BD on a completely different system with other software.  But I absolutely have a sync problem.

For the record, here was my workflow:

Shot on BMCC and captured in ProRes, 23.976fps

Sound on external Tascam recorder

At picture lock, images rendered in QT 4444 and sent to colorist. (Overkill but that's what the colorist wanted).

Post production sound done in ProTools by a guy who knows what he's doing.  20% ADR which matches up fine.  Sound is in multiple STEMS and ready for 5.1.

Colorist returns file back as QT 422 and synced with sound.  MP4 renders are all fine.

Issue occurs when creating Blu Ray, specifically when trying to view on multiple external Blu Ray players.  Works fine on a Blu Ray recorder hooked up to different PC's.  DVDs appear to sync fine.

I'm stumped.

AVC (aka H.264/Blu-ray) will get the same quality as MPEG-2 at half the file sizes. If you run a properly configured H264 Blu-ray encoder then it will be superb. I can highly recommend the x264 Pro encoder as a plugin to Premiere Pro (I use this all the time and it is superbly good) or else on a slightly lower budget there is the TMPGEnc encoder, built on the same engine but with a different set of tweaks & options that can look good where x264 Pro cannot quite get there. Why one should get a concert right & the other one not is beyond me and when you factor in that it is often the other way around it gets really weird, but encodist is a skillset all on it's own.

If you use the highest quality settings on correctly interpreted media at 15 Mbps peak & 12 Mbps average, 2-pass VBR with your motion adaption tweaked you will be fine, and do not forget to put in sequence markers (not in the movie but in the sequence itself) and turn these to chapter markers before encoding and you will get an I-Frame at each one..

In your original premiere sequences - do you have multiple assets in any sequences? That would sure as hell cause these glitches.

Best not to do that - just use one sequence per playlist please.

What is your colourist sending you? Insist on getting at least a prores HQ quicktime, not an MP4.That sounds like a lossy file type and should be properly encoded to Blu-ray specs.

It sounds to me like there is non compliant spec stuff here because of so many set top players not working (although this could be written disc weirdness as a BDROM written disc is not the same thing as a Blu-ray disc.and we have noticed stuff that works in emulation (Scenarist QC, or most media players) is not necessarily going to work on a set top player and this is often at the point we find something slightly different in an asset - but the set top player is the gold standard.

Questions.

1 - Does the file that comes back from the colourist include the audio in a multiplex, or do you add your production audio to a video file with no embedded audio mix?

2 - What audio file is going out of sync - the stereo or the surround?

• 27. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                                          filmpantera Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I made changes to my timeline and am rendering an MPEG2 as we speak but will also render an H264 right after this to see what happens.

The video file and audio file are separate.  I do need to clarify the video file.  The colorist sent back an uncompressed huge file, that's actually 10 bit (with alpha channel) so I can lay in some SFX.  I think it's actually a BMCC 10 bit file which is huge, 1.2 TB but in my renders, it is fine.  Again, when I simply render an H.264 file for review (about 40 GB), audio and video sync fine.

The only issue I have is when I render a Blu Ray and play it in a player.  My interpreted media is higher than you recommended.  I haven't done it at 15Mbps peak and 12Mpbs target with VBR 2-pass.  I will try that next with H.264 and see how that comes out.

Thanks for the advice and it'll be a couple of days before I post results.  Takes 12 hours + to do a render.

And I will be doing a DCP within the next week or so and will test that out.

EDIT:  Ok, my render wasn't that far along so I've stopped it and re-rendered it with your advice.  I didn't see an an option for motion adapter tweaking.  Sorry, not that experienced and didn't see that in the render tab for video.

It is one long video file, fully rendered with edit clips laid on top (VFX, different color grades, etc) but the main file from the colorist is the full 01:45:00:00 film.  Again, no sync issues in an H.264 render so that I can review and when I render at a lower rate so that I can post on the web.

The audio starts to drift in the Blu Ray about 7 minutes in and stays off.  If I FF ahead in the Blu Ray, the audio is off by a frame or more.  The same H.264 MP4 file has no drift.  The same Blu Ray file on an external drive linked to a computer is fine, on different computers.  I'm using the free Leavo Blu Ray player for the PC.

I rendered this with 5.1.  I followed instruction I found and I think I have the channels correct and have lined up the L, R, C, LFe, Ls, Rs correctly.  On channels 7 and 8 are the stereo channels but when I render, I don't use those but looking at the sound files, they all appear to be sync'd up.  My sound guy took a look when we redid the 5.1 mix a few weeks ago.  It loked great and sounded great and sounded great on ProTools.  We did hook up a Blu Ray player and he saw that the sync was off.

I'll report back with results in a day or so.  May get the Blu Ray with H.264, 12 Mbps target, 15Mbps max rendered by late tonight.  It takes another hour to create the .iso and then burn the disk and then check.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT 2:  Yes, I'm using Adobe Encore to create the Blu Ray.  Here is my workflow:

(1) I render it in Adobe Premiere as a Blu Ray file with the settings suggested.

(2) I import BOTH the video and audio files into a Timeline in Adobe Encore.

(3) After creating the timeline, I then create a iso image in encore.

(4) Once the iso image is created, I then burn the iso image to a Blu Ray.  I'm using an external LG Blu Ray drive (6x) and it seems to burn fine.  Then I test it in both the PC and laptop using the free Leawo player and it's fine.  When I try it in multiple external Blu Ray players hooked to flatscreens and home entertainment systems, the audio and video go out of sync in about eight minutes or so and stays that way.  If I  fast forward to later in the film, it is still out of sync.  If I ff in the MP4 file on my computer it is not out of sync.  If I ff in the Blu Ray through the Leawo player, it is not out of sync.  I will render at a lower 12Mbps target 15 Mbps max to using H264 instead of MPEG-2 to see if that makes a difference.

• 28. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray

> (2) I import BOTH the video and audio files into a Timeline in Adobe Encore.

Do you mean that you "import as timeline" and select both files?

• 29. Re: Encore 6.0.1 - Audio out of sync on Blu-Ray
                                                              filmpantera Level 1

Yes, I import BOTH the video and audio files into a Timeline in Adobe Encore.  When I scrub through them, they look fine and sync up fine.

I have tried a target rate of 25Mbps, 20Mbps, and 15Mbps, all MPEG-2.  I'm rendering an MP4 right now at 12Mbps with a max of 15.  Won't be able to see the results til tomorrow.  I will also have someone else render this on a MAC to see if it gives the same results.

Again, my sound guy who did the 5.1 mix was able to look at his file and video and everything syncs up fine. When we put it on the Blu Ray player, he immediately saw that it got out of sync.