8 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 12:51 PM by MarylandRoger

Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6

MarylandRoger

I try using the clone stamp but selection fails with this error message:

Could not use the clone stamp because the area to clone has not been defined (Alt-click to define source point).

When I press Alt, I see the characteristic selection bullseye. But, afterwards, a right-click of the mouse reveals an open circle and the error message.

I note that the key works for menu selections (e.g., Alt-File) and other actions.

I have closed PS and re-opened. Reset the clone stamp tool, closed and reopened, etc., to no avail.

/Roger

• 1. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

What operating system are you using?

I'd try resetting the photoshop preferences:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6
            MarylandRoger Level 1

I am using the most recent updates of PhotoShop CS6 with Win-7, also with latest updates.

I close PShop, deleted Adobe Photoshop CS6 Pref.psp, restarted Pshop. Note that I had previously reset the clone stamp. I also looked at Edit>Keyboard shortcuts and, as expected, didn't find anything there for a "naked" alt-key.

The suggested approach did not fix issue.

I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6

Which version of photoshop cs6?

(cloud or perpetual)

Does it happen in both the 32 and 64 bit versions of photoshop cs6?

As far as i know there is no listing in the edit keyboard shortcuts for the Alt key, but you said it works for highlighting the menus, so the key itself is probably not the problem.

Does it happen on just a regular 8 bits/channel image in the RGB Color mode?

Has it ever worked in photoshop cs6?

You tried the alt key on both sides of the keyboard?

Is your graphics card driver up to date from the gpu makers website and not through windows updates?

• 4. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6
                MarylandRoger Level 1

Before answering your questions, I believe the problem does not lie with the alt key. I get the "target" selection tool image with either left or right alt key. And, I can use the

I am using 32 bit Win-7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. currently up-to-date.

PShop version cs6 13.0.1 x32 - on my PC (I don't have 64 bit version.)

The error occurs in 8, 16, and 32 bits/channel

I don't recall if it has ever worked in the version of PShop I'm using. I started in an advanced editing college class using a different computer.

The error occurs with both left and right alt keys.

Driver is up-to-date. I note that I am running in a VirtualBox virtual machine under the latest release of Xubuntu Linux, 12.04.2. The driver is part of the kernel. In Win, it appears as VirtualBox Graphics Adapter, version 4.1.12.0, Oracle. The "adapter" is VBoxVideo.sys, ver 4.1.12.77245

I'm hoping you don't drop this because I'm running in a VM!

/Roger

• 5. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6

Okay i think the problem is probably the mapping of the Super key in linux

(the windows logo key on the left side of the keyboard if you have a windows keyboard)

If you press the Super key plus the Alt key to define the clone source, does that work?

If so, here's a solution that works with wine on linux, so hopefully it will work with virtual box on linux as well.

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

(look under the section about the clone tool)

• 6. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6
                    MarylandRoger Level 1

Mr. Kelly,

That seems to have fixed the problem: left-super+alt. I can live with that!

Regarding the suggestions about remapping - look-and-feel, etc.: the suggested track are not avialalbe under Xubuntu 12.04. And, I would be reluctant to re-map the super-key since it has functional significance when running Win (I have both Win-7 and XP in VMs).

I've bookmarked the wine wiki link for future reference.

WINE: Do you know if CS6 / Bridge / Adobe Raw, etc., work well? I had not thought of trying Wine. I've never had luck with it in the past - a waste of time for few apps that I must run in Win. Since I've got PShop working well in a VM, I'm thinking of sticking with that and not to invite new problems.

Thanks a lot for delving into this for me.

Glad I bought PShop - I've been using The Gimp for a long time but, while taking PS  classes at Montgomery College, decided to buy. I'd been looking for knowledge/tips that might help in Gimp but, during the second class, decided to make the leap.

Best regards,

/Roger

• 7. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6

Glad you found an acceptable workaround.

I would probably stick with the vm's instead of wine, although it is possible to run photoshop cs6 in wine, it's more work than just installing the program unfortunatly.

There is a section on the wine site about running photoshop in wine if your interested:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

• 8. Re: Clone Stamp Selection Failure in CS6
                        MarylandRoger Level 1

I'll take a look at Wine but probably follow your advice and stick with a VM.

No more reply needed - just wanted to say one last thank you.

/Roger