8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 9:35 AM by allnet RSS

Program Monitor stops showing video playback

napynap Community Member

Hello,

I lose composite video playback picture in the Program monitor and Source monitor after a few minutes. Audio still plays.

While the clip is playing, a bar of random video colors from the clip forms near the entire top 10 rows of pixels from left edge to the right edge, then the clip freezes video, but audio can still be heard. After a while, an error message pops up and Premiere has to be forced closed. 'NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. Error code: 3'

It happens on all projects ranging of different resolutions and sizs from 30 seconds to 40min. I suspect it has something to do with that error of the video and display drivers not communicating, but something from Premiere causes that to happen after the clip has been playing a while. I have tried some online solutions others have had success with, but there has not been a lot of fully documented solutions for Windows users.

This has put all of my projects on hold. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Other clues:

able to see playback via other display modes like vectorscope or rc waveform

able to see video frames change if manually moving the blue playhead

Windows Media Player plays the video files fine

Close Premiere , reopen Premiere plays fine for a few minutes

-----

APPLICATION SETTINGS-

Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 (5.5.2)

Scratch Disks: using separate SATA HDD

player settings: default player - adobe player

playback settings -

Aspect Ratio Conversion : Software

playback and paused resolution: 1/2

display first field

Example project settings-

sequence settings: AVCHD 1080i square pixel, 1920x1080 16:9 30fps Drop-Frame

video previews: I-Frame Only MPEG

Codec: MPEG I-Frame

Frame Rate: 29.97

SYSTEM DETAILS-

RAM: 12.0 GB

RAM memory in use (task manager): 3.8gb / 12GB

Desktop Theme: Windows Classic (aero turned off)

Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz

NVidia Quadro FX 3800 driver, 1GB GDDR3,  driver: 9.18.13.697

3D disabled, hardware processing disabled, allow software to maintain color settings, 60hz

Display: Asus VG278 1920 x 1080 native, using 60hz

Display Driver: Generic PnP Monitor (there is no real driver for this monitor from the MFG)

Motherboard BIOS: No onboard graphics chip

• 1. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
          joe bloe premiere Community Member
          NVidia Quadro FX 3800 driver, 1GB GDDR3,  driver: 9.18.13.697

Nvidia lists the current driver for the Quadro FX 3800 as:

Version: 311.50  Release Date: 2013.04.17

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-grid-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-311.50-whql-driver .html

• 2. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
            napynap Community Member

Thank you joe bloe for checking the driver, however, I'm still having the same trouble. Here are the details:

Concerning the NVidia Quadro FX 3800 graphics adapter

FIRST ATTEMPT:

This driver I let Windows automatically find and install.

Shutdown computer completely, restarted.

The bar of random video colors at top of clip are now gone, works for about 4-7 min of playback, then suffers the same result.

Updated Driver Version (from NVidia Control Panel): 311.06

Updated Driver Version (from Windows Display adapters properties): 9.18.13.1106  1/18/2013

NEXT ATTEMPT: 

This Driver I manually downloaded and installed from the link provided by joe bloe (see original reply)

Shutdown computer completely, restarted.

No random video colors at top of clip, works for about 1 min of playback, then loses the video playback again.

Updated Driver Version (from NVidia Control Panel): 311.50

Updated Driver Version (from Windows Display adapters properties): 9.18.13.1115  4/6/2013

THEN TRIED..

Hardware processing enabled, allow hardware to maintain color settings, 120hz.

Much more stable, for approx 10min, then the same issue happens.

Still not resolved.

• 3. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
              EGNegron Community Member

I am having this EXACT same issue. But my system even tells me that the media files in my timeline are offline even if they are not.

I also cannot export using hardware CUDA but only software. ( i have almost exact matching system specs )

This all started out of the blue about 3 days ago.

• 4. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
                napynap Community Member

Now that I have the most up to date video adapter driver, and had more stable operation, I'm thinking of recompiling the preview files of an existing project to see if that helps even further. I'll report with my results asap.

• 5. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
                  EGNegron Community Member

I have also updated the lastest drivers and have flushed the rendered preview files. This allows me to work for a while (30min or so) before locking up or losing the monitor but everything is VERY slow.

The next step would be to roll back the video drivers to one of the older releases to see if that helps.

• 6. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
                    napynap Community Member

After renaming rendered preview file folders to name_old, forcing Premiere to make a new preview folder and auto create a new preview folder/files (choose skip all when opening old project), I have almost %100 success rate of the program monitor playback. I'm thinking that any failures from older projects may be related to conforming video with the older adapter driver. At this point, I'm going to consider my reported issue resolved. I hope the community will be able to save some troubleshooting hours with this thread.

• 7. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
                      napynap Community Member

UPDATE:

One day later, Nvidia released a new updated driver on 5/3/2013.

I am now getting %100 success rate of the program monitor playback, even on projects that still had some prior issues.

Clean driver install option / default settings

Driver Version (from NVidia Control Panel): 320.00 (5/3/2013)

Driver Version (from Windows Display adapters properties): 9.18.13.2000  4/18/2013

That will do it!

• 8. Re: Program Monitor stops showing video playback
                        allnet Community Member

For me, it was the use of warp stabilizer on my video clip....even though the effect was disabled in the video editor, i was also experiencing slow responsiveness. I just deleted the clip from the timeline, and brought back the same clip from the project window into the timeline- no fx applied-now there is no lagging at all. That's what worked for me.