5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 10:30 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Windowing an image: the easiest way?

Guy Burns Level 1

I've scanned through the entire Premiere PDF and there is nothing obvious and simple about how to "window" an image. I've visited several websites; again nothing obvious and simple. So, I'll have to ask the experts here.

What I want to do is to create a rectangular area – my window – within my 1920 x 1080 frame, within which all clips in my sequence appear. Any part of any clip which is outside that window, is black.

I don't need instructions how to do it, but I would like to know the name of the function in Premiere that will allow me to create a "window", so I can look it up.

I have tried what to me was an obvious, but inverted, method. Basically a mask:

1. Create a new item that is Black Video (p255 of the PDF).

2. For test purposes, set the size of the Black Video to, say, 800 x 1080, so the mask is full height but only 800 wide.

3. Drag that Black Video to a layer above my clips.

My theory was that parts of a clip that lay under the Black Video would not appear. And it worked – sort of. The problem was, there was an unexplainable (to me) offset. The boundaries of my Black Video (as shown when I clicked on Effect Controls > Motion) were different from how the clip underneath was being "windowed". The offset was not constant, vertically or horizontally, and seemed to be acting like a Drop Shadow in Indesign, with the light source set at a certain angle.

Any suggestions how to "window" clips?

Aside: within InDesign, these "windows" that I am thinking of are created automatically every time you set up a new Text Frame. Done it thousands of times over the years. Dump an image in the frame, and the frame forms a window for the image. No part of the image inside can appear outside the window.

• 2. Re: Windowing an image: the easiest way?
          cvid01 Level 4

1. You can make a "window" template in Photoshop.
          2. You can also use Titler to make a window using various black rectangles and leaving an empty space where you want the window.
          There are probably many other ways, but you now have some ideas.

• 3. Re: Windowing an image: the easiest way?
            shooternz Level 6

You maybe just looking for P in P effect.  ie "Picture in Picture"

All done in the FX Window- Motion

• 4. Re: Windowing an image: the easiest way?
              Guy Burns Level 1

This is an interesting problem and it does have an easy solution, but Track Matte, Titler, and PIP are not the way to go. The first two, as far as I can tell from experimenting with stills that are animated (scale changes for instance), cause the matte to also change scale, resulting in a window that changes size. That was the "offset" I spoke about, which at first appeared to me to be acting like a drop shadow. PIP's problem is that it is only available in 25%.

The solution is pretty obvious now that I am a bit more familiar with these things. What I am looking for is a window on a black background:

1. In Photoshop, generate a grayscale mask the size of the video frame using white to form the window. The rest of the mask should be black.

2. Drag this mask on to a video layer above the clip or still.

That's it. A simple black and white mask where the white is the window. The only slight problem is that you can't see the edges of the window, you can only see the edges by the effect is has on the clip underneath. That's because the white area, the window, allows you to look through to the underlying layers and you'll either see the "windowed" clip or the black of the nether regions. A colour matte placed as the lowest layer, and toggled on and off,  allows the window to be seen if needed.

• 5. Re: Windowing an image: the easiest way?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would probably create a sequence that matches the size of the window you want, assuming you mean Picture In Picture.

Then just grab the finished sequence from the project panel and drop it on a 1920X1080 sequence.

The advantage of using the nested sequence is that you can pan and scan, resize to a specific part of the larger frame, or shrink the content to fit into the new, smaller sequence. Then all you have to do is drop it in. Simple.