10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 3:15 PM by Eugene Tyson

Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In CS5.5 on Windows XP

I am going to Find and Find Format

In Basic Character Formats

Font Family

It's only listing the Fonts used in the document?

Is this normal?

I've reset the prefs but that hasn't changed anything.

Just thought it was weird and wondering if something has gone strange or if it's normal.

• 1. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It appears to be normal. A completely blank document has no choices at all.

• 2. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

That said, I think it's a bug. I see fonts in CS6.

• 3. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

>  I see fonts in CS6.

All fonts? Ever since I can remember, in the FIND box ou can only see the fonts actually in your document. Only in the CHANGE field you can see them all.

There seems to be a rare bug that every now and then rears its ugly head and you don't get to see a certain font in the Find list (last time it was with Microsoft's "Courier" bitmap font, which inexplicably made a guest appearance in an imported Word document), but usually replacing it using the Find Font dialog with a more normal font fixes this.

I actually use this feature to quickly and reliably change certain characters in weird fonts to correct ones. This way I don't have to scroll through my endless list just to check *if* the font is used anywhere.

... Are you saying "some useful features may have been removed"?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

A brand new file, nothing on the page, and I'm seeing what looks like a subset of the recently used fonts selection.

• 5. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter Spier wrote:

A brand new file, nothing on the page, and I'm seeing what looks like a subset of the recently used fonts selection.

That's consistent with my finding in CS6.

• 6. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

Hmm so what's the prognosis here? Is it a bug? A feature?

It would be more consistent in the UI if it simply had the used document fonts at the top and then the unused fonts in a square bracket (indicating they are not used in the document).

I genuinely thought the program was broken as clicking the down arrow didn't exapand the menu as expected.

• 7. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?
                      Mary Posner Level 3

I'm a little confused about the goal here. How would searching for a font that *isn't* used in the document be useful?

• 8. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

Well why list OTF features for fonts and encase them in [open brackets]?

I thought the dialog box was broken because nothing happened when I clicked on it. I've been using InDesign since 2006 and I admit it's the first time I've noticed this. But it looked to me that the program was unresponsive.

• 9. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?
                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Mary Posner wrote:

I'm a little confused about the goal here. How would searching for a font that *isn't* used in the document be useful?

Mary, I agree -- although Eugene doesn't seem to think it's that illogical

But we happen to stumble on something in CS6 here. In my CS4, I get consistent -- logical -- behavior: I can only search for fonts that are in my document. In CS6, however, the top list is populated with the "Number of Recent Fonts", followed by a division bar -- change the number of recent fonts to see lists of different lengths.

Below the bar I get to see actual document fonts.

.. Wait, I'm going to try something. Hold on for a mo'.

Okay, the script property "document.fonts" seems unaffected. Regardless of what you see in the Find box, this one still lists the actual number of used fonts.

Eugene: the behavior up to CS 5.5 is logical and consistent. In CS6, though, I would call it "broken". Anyone care enough to file it as a bug, before it's called a "feature" and included in CSWhateverNumberIsNext?

• 10. Re: Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

Ha ha lol ok it's logical no arguing with that.

But I was troubleshooting a doc and opened up a new file and tried a Find>Find Format>Font and couldn't select one and I reset prefs and it still didn't work to "how I expected it to".

Like I said I hadn't noticed it before and thought my UI was broken as clicking on the arrow to reveal more did nothing... and that's where my confusion started... with a thought of a broken UI.