• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

APSB13-10: Whats considered the maximum safe max post params

New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently applied the APSB13-10 update to CF9 and have run into issues with applications.  With the setting defaulted only to 100, compared to tomcat's 10,000 max post param default, I am wondering what the reason behind the 100 default is and what is considered the max safe value for this setting.  There are no specific details in the CVEs or the APSB-13-10 bulletin that seem to indicate what this is for.  Also the details in the adobe bulletin versus the CVEs seem to contradict each other murkying exactly what the vulnerabilities are that are being patched. 

The descrepency I am refering to is in the adobe bulletin you state "This hotfix resolves an information leak that can occur in certain multi-threaded use cases. This issue is not exploitable remotely (CVE-2013-1387)."  However when looking at that particular CVE it says "Unspecified vulnerability in Adobe ColdFusion 9.0 before Update 10, 9.0.1 before Update 9, 9.0.2 before Update 4, and 10 before Update 9 allows attackers to impersonate users via unknown vectors."  Not remotely exploitable information leakage is much differeing that impersonating users.  

Are two remotely exploitable issues being fixed as noted by the CVEs, or is the one CVE really only an information leak?  What does max post param setting have to do with either of these issues being patched, and what is considered a safe maximum post param setting?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

The postParameterLimit was introduced in APSB12-06, when you installed APSB13-10 you also got the APSB12-06 and several other prior hotfixes. 

You can read more about the details of the vulnerability it helps mitigate in my blog entry: http://www.petefreitag.com/item/808.cfm

--

Pete Freitag

Foundeo Inc. Makers of HackMyCF & FuseGuard

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The postParameterLimit was introduced in APSB12-06, when you installed APSB13-10 you also got the APSB12-06 and several other prior hotfixes. 

You can read more about the details of the vulnerability it helps mitigate in my blog entry: http://www.petefreitag.com/item/808.cfm

--

Pete Freitag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I was told we were up to date, minus APSB13-10, when it was applied which is what led to my confusion.  The post parameter limit makes sense in context of APSB12-06 and doesnt give me concern raising it to the level we needed to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible that they made a mistake when installing the updates, one of the things that our HackMyCF service checks for in the commercial version is hotfix installation errors, so we often see cases where user error in installing the hotfix can lead to other issues.

--

Pete Freitag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation