10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 4:16 PM by DanDanDan

create new comp using image sequence name

DanDanDan Level 1

How do you create a new comp that uses the name of the image sequence you used to make the comp? 

Or, how can I add a bunch of image sequences to the render queue or media encoder?  The final outputs need to have the same name as the image sequence.

• 1. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Import an image sequence into AE.

Select the image sequence in the Project Panel and either drag it to an empty Timeline Panel, and empty Comp Panel, the new composition icon at the bottom of the Project Panel, or right click and select New Comp From Selection or use the menu and select File>New Comp From Selection

After Effects always uses the name of the footage to create a mew comp from selection. Always has.

These are basics. You should probably go through the info here before you go much farther. AE is not an application you can just open and start using without some basic training.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 11.47.27 AM.png

The comp name will include the extensioin. If you want to remove the extension then just re-name the comp.

The AME does not import image sequences but QuickTime Pro will.

• 2. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
            DanDanDan Level 1

I've been using After Effects since before it was a CS thing so I'm not too worried about covering the basics, but thanks for the suggestion.

As for your basic method of creating a comp, unless I have some settings wrong, when I make a new comp from an image sequence (drag to comp icon, right click/new comp), the new comp doesn't have the same name as the image sequence.  I get variations of, "_MG, _MG 2, _MG 3..."

On the other hand, if I make a new comp from footage, yes, I get a comp with the same name.  It always has.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: create new comp using image sequence name

How are you importing your image sequences? I've never had an image sequence come in with anything but the first image name. This

imgImport.jpg

Gives This:

imgSeqComp.jpg

If you need to add the frame numbers then I'd suggest that you change your naming conventions. The frame numbers in the square brackets are always dropped. What are the actual names of the image sequences you are using? If you have FirstMG[000-156].jpg and then you have FirstMG[305-799].jpg for the second you'll get FirstMG for the first comp and FirstMG 2 for the second.

• 4. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
                DanDanDan Level 1

Thanks for the response.

Our image sequences are labelled _MG_####.CR2.  Changing the file names at the root folder isn't an option.  That's why the name of the image sequence is changed in AE.

To import these files I dragged individual folders with the images into the project window, made any sort of camera raw adjustments, then let AE import the files as an image sequence.  Then, I rename the image sequence.  I want the new name I give the image sequence to be the default comp name.  Can this be done?: Yay, Nay, I Don't Know.

• 5. Re: create new comp using image sequence name

The default comp name for an image sequence will be the name up to the first image number. You can't change that but it might be a feature request. I would worry about the underscore as the first character. If it were my project in a production pipeline I'd either batch rename the image sequences or set up some other specific workflow to keep things in order. Naming conventions are extremely important in large project management.

Sorry, just changing the name of an image sequence in AE won't change the default name of the comp. It works with footage, but it doesn't work with image sequences.

• 6. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
                    DanDanDan Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I concur, naming conventions are important, regardless of project size.  Anyways, I can go about manually renaming the comps in peace/accepted defeat/frustration knowing there wasn't an easier way!  Thanks!

• 7. Re: create new comp using image sequence name

You might think about writing a script to automate the process.

• 8. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
                        DanDanDan Level 1

I'll have to look into that.  It's just beyond my level of nerd, unfortunately.

• 9. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Be sure to submit a feature request or bug report any time that you encounter something like this that you wish behaved differently:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 10. Re: create new comp using image sequence name
                            DanDanDan Level 1

Thanks for the link.  Just did it.