6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 3:02 PM by Wizarddamacumba

Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)

Wizarddamacumba Level 1

Hi, can you help me plase in my doubt ? I cant put 2 sequences (or videos) together that match; Heres an example: i create 2 sequences with the same settings. In one of then i put a video wich original resolution is low, but i click "change sequence settings" when the clip mismatching window appears .  The other video has a hig resolution, and when i put him on the timeline, i also click in the "change sequence settings" so he adjust to my project settings. HERE IS THE PROBLEM: when i try to put the 2 sequences together (or the videos) in the same one, one doent match with the other. The low resolution video gets very tiny with huge black borders.  What i am doing wrong ? I hope i was clear in my question, its simple to understand, i just want to put 2 videos in sequence without the one with lower resolution gets huge black borders around him, thats all. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
          RjL190365 Level 4

Here is where you need to do some tweaking (or manual work): Videos with different resolutions in the same sequence do not automatically scale to match one another. Never did, never will. If the sequence is set to the lower resolution, higher-resolution clips will appear blown up and cropped - but if the sequence is set to the higher resolution, lower-resolution clips will appear windowboxed (or gutterboxed).

To fix this properly: With the sequence set to match the higher-resolution clip, right-click on the lower-resolution clip in the timeline, and select "Scale to frame size". You may still get black borders on the left and right sides of the frame, particularly if the lower-resolution clip has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and the higher-resolution clip has an aspect ratio of 16:9.

• 2. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
            Wizarddamacumba Level 1

I tried this, doeent get a cool result. This is what i am getting https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2kWvHw77IhQa19DMVlxSGlDT28&usp=sharing

WHen the videos are in diferrents sequences, they fit ok in the final result, but when i try to put one with other, the video with lower resolution gets to small with huge black boardes. These pictures show perfctely when i am sayng, they are printscrenns from my PC.

• 3. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
              RjL190365 Level 4

Are you sure that you followed my suggestion correctly? Those screenshots looked like you did absolutely nothing at all whatsoever to the video clip that appears tiny and gutterboxed. However, if you did this correctly and still got this result, then that particular clip must have already been gutterboxed in the initial encoding - and no scaling can fix this. This calls for even more work, such as cropping on export.

By the way, what are the exact vertical resolutions of your two clips? (Give only the lower of the two numbers for each of the clips.) It could be that the resolution of the lower-resolution clip is so low or is of a nonstandard number such that it is unable to be scaled properly in an HD timeline.

In addition, based on the yellow and red bars, it appears that two completely different codecs were used in the two clips. This could cause problems, especially with a non-CUDA (read: non-nVidia) video card.

• 4. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
                Wizarddamacumba Level 1

When i do this, change the scale, i get some good result, but my main doubt is about joining sequences od diferrente resolution videos without getting black borders. There is no way i can do that?

• 5. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Wizarddamacumba wrote:

When i do this, change the scale, i get some good result, but my main doubt is about joining sequences od diferrente resolution videos without getting black borders. There is no way i can do that?

Sorry, but no NLE that I've ever come across will ever allow you to do that. All NLEs present different resolution videos as imported - and clips whose resolution is larger than the sequence's (or timeline's) resolution will appear heavily magnified and heavily cropped. Similarly, clips whose resolution is significantly smaller than the sequence's resolution will appear tiny and "gutterboxed". There is absolutely no way at all whatsoever to automatically scale different-resolution clips in any NLE.

And I think you're using the term "sequence" incorrectly: In Adobe terms, a sequence is a timeline and everything contained within. (Although you can nest multiple different sequences into a new sequence.)

• 6. Re: Clip Mismatch (sequences dont match)
                    Wizarddamacumba Level 1

Thanks Man, that was my main doubt. So, just to close this topic, answer one more doubt , please. Its adviced to always use the same resolution videos when i am editing an great amount of video clips ? Lets say that i will edit some basketball plays, its better to use the clips of the plays all in the same resolution  ? Thanks in advance man .