5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2007 8:59 PM by PJosephson

Fireworks CS3

sunviper666
      When I edit GIF files edited in other programs and just save them as GIF files
      Fireworks CS3 add about 13KB to the filesize.

For example I have a webb interface button 16 color no transparency.
      Original file size is 0.5KB I open it up in Fireworks CS3. Edit the graphics and then save as GIF.
      File size on Harddrive and on server harddrive after upload is about 14KB
      This goes for all GIFs edited with Fireworks CS3
      Making a slice and then exporting as GIF again does not help.

If I create a GIF from a new Fireworks PNG file the problem is gone.
      So basically use CS3 for new files only. Editing other old GIF work you end up with bigger files?
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3
          Level 7
          sunviper666 wrote:
          > When I edit GIF files edited in other programs and just save them as GIF files
          > Fireworks CS3 add about 13KB to the filesize.

You have to export them, not save. Saving adds metadata which accounts
          for the extra 13k.

--
          Stéphane Bergeron
          reach : connect : communicate
          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
          http://www.pixelyzed.com
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3
            sunviper666 Level 1
            That's just the thing.
            How can CS3 get rid of metadata. CS3 cant even display it...
            Why would it write it into a GIF image in the first place and not be able to remove it? If you alter an image with metadata and export it it still keep the metadata.
            Is there a way in CS3 to edit the metadata like adding a string edited by such and such?

When using Dreamweaver you just press a button to send the image back and forth for editing then it saves the image - hence the file size grow when using CS3 and Dreamweaver

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS3
              Level 7
              sunviper666 wrote:
              > That's just the thing.
              > How can CS3 get rid of metadata. CS3 cant even display it...
              > Why would it write it into a GIF image in the first place and not be able to
              > remove it? If you alter an image with metadata and export it it still keep the
              > metadata.
              > Is there a way in CS3 to edit the metadata like adding a string edited by such
              > and such?
              >
              > When using Dreamweaver you just press a button to send the image back and
              > forth for editing then it saves the image - hence the file size grow when using
              > CS3 and Dreamweaver
              >
              >
              >

I wasn't aware the problem existed when roundtripping through DW. I'll
              have to check that out.

You can edit meta data in CS3 by going to FILE > FILE INFO or through
              Bridge.

The FW engineers thought they solved an issue with meta data on when to
              keep it and when to strip it out. Simply put, SAVING the file maintains
              (or reserves room for) meta data. EXPORTING the file strips it out.

Problem is, IF you SAVE the file first, the meta data "switch" stays
              active, so exporting the file will still reserve the space. Solution is
              to close the file and re open it, then export it. I am sure this issue
              will be addressed in the next version, but it'd be nice if a patch was
              made available for it before then.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3
                sunviper666 Level 1
                To keep metadata is one thing.

Adding another...
                When using Fireworks + Dreamweaver adding metadata is an absolute farse.
                Here you have tools made for the web - You use them to save optimized graphics, thus saving file space for the web.

Choose edit image and then press done - you just added 26KB of metadata if you edit a png 13KB if its a GIF. Thats really an optimising software for you :)

Please add that function to my bank account..

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS3
                  PJosephson
                  I agree. You hear that Adobe this is an annoying feature. It should be turned off by default. I mean 1x2 pixel file at 13kb come on. I can't even export it as reccommended above to get rid of the metadata. To be honest this is like calling blue screen of death a feature. Fireworks for the most part should not be retaining the metadata or make it, I repeat, an option (an easy on the save/save as option not force an export that does not work). Now I have to go edit my web graphics with something else because I don't want to deal with this nice feature.