13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 10:14 AM by deknk12

Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!

deknk12

I exported clips at 23.976 from FCP 7. Imported them into AE 5.5. Ran Warp Stabilizer to fix shake. Exported the clips individually at 23.976.

When I play them in Quicktime or in FCP 7 again, they are slowed down by about 25% despite the fact that I never touched Time Warp or anything along those lines.

Help!

• 1. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

What kind of footage is this?  At what frame rate did you shoot?  24p?  Did you remove the pulldown from the footage in FCP?  I don't think you did, because that's sounds like the result you'd get if you didn't.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
            deknk12 Level 1

This is footage from a 5D Mark 2 shot at 24p (23.976).

My workflow:

MPEGStreamClip conversion to ProRes 422 (LT) (unchecked deinterlace for progressive footage)

Edited in FCP 7

Wasn't satisfied with SmoothCam in FCP, exported clips to ProRes 422 (LT)

Imported into AE

Warp Stabilizer added and rendered

Exported to ProRes 422 (LT) with same settings.

Where in the process do I remove the pulldown and how do I go about doing so?

Thanks for your help!

-Dave

• 3. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nothing to do with the stabilization. Either you chose a wrong footage interpretation, messed up the frame rate in the render settings or this is one of those bugs where Quicktime will misinterpret framerates. Some of those are well known and documented. Import them in FCP and enforce a manual framerate interpretation.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                deknk12 Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies. When you say import them in FCP, where in the process does that happen? They were already in FCP before going to AE. At every step of the way I imported/exported at 23.976.

• 5. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

5D-II's don't shoot interlaced, so you don't have to remove it.  Older 5D's didn't shoot 23.976, they shot 24: a real pain for editing.  Can you confirm the frame rate?

In FCP, did you add one clip to the edit timeline and allow FCP to match the Sequence Settings to the footage?

After you tried Smoothcam, did you just start over from scratch with a new project and new edit timeline?

Did you export a self-contained file from FCP?  You might want to duplicate your edit timeline, change the duplicate's codec to ProRes 422, and try exporting again.

Did you check the clip imported from AE for its frame rate?

If there is no joy with the above suggestions, you might want to think about using Log & Transfer in FCP.  On the Creative COW, Shane Ross has a VERY handy tutorial on working with tapeless footage in FCP.  It's somewhere in the FCP tutorials on the COW.

• 6. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                    deknk12 Level 1

-File directly from the camera, when opened in QT and checked under the 'info' shows a framerate of 23.98.

-I did allow FCP to match the Sequence Settings

-After trying SmoothCam, I removed the filter from the clips, but did not start from scratch.

-I did export a self-contained file with "current settings".

-Frame rate in AE is confirmed at 23.976.

Is there a tutorial available that explains how to go from FCP 7 to AE and back properly?

Thanks again!

-Dave

• 7. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's the tutorial:

• Export a self-contained QT (ProRes 422 is preferred: no image degredation) from FCP for use in AE.
                      • Import the clip into AE.
                      • Do your AE voodoo.
                      • When done, DO NOT EXPORT FROM AE!  Use AE's Render Queue.  In the comp's Output Module in the Render Queue window, you can choose either ProRes LT or ProRes 422: either will do.
                      • Import the clip into AE.

Very straightforward, yes?

If you confirm that the clip imported from AE is at the proper frame rate in the FCP Browser and it STILL has problems, they either lie in Quicktime or FCP Weirdness: a highly-technical term, but still true.

• 8. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                        deknk12 Level 1

Thanks Dave, I misspoke, I was using the Render Queue and NOT exporting.

This is very straightforward and I'll try again but I think I may be having issues with this QT/FCP weirdness. Are there any fixes for said weirdness?

• 9. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd ask about it on the COW's FCP forum; choose the one for LEGACY FCP, and not the one for FCPX.  I'd also confirm that the frame rates of the footage from AE check out as 23.98 before asking.  Those folks will go to the easiest explanation, which for them would be a screwup in AE.

Boy, that phoney-baloney 23.98 label FCP uses just bugs the heck out of me!

• 10. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                            deknk12 Level 1

Will do. Am I understanding you right that I should be using 23.98 instead of 23.976? Or should I be using 24 instead of either of those?

I've never ever had an issue before with framerates moving to AE, but haven't moved a single clip from FCP to AE and then back before. In the past I've built compositions in AE using 5D Mark 2 footage and then moved them into FCP without issue.

• 11. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Am I understanding you right that I should be using 23.98 instead of 23.976?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  23.976 is the correct frame rate. 

But some camera makers and software developers who think a frame rate taken to 3 decimal places is just too much for our little heads to grasp shorten it and give it a cutesy nickname: 23.98. 

23.98 DOES NOT EXIST!  Never use it in AE!  Just deal with the misnomer.

Ironically, Cinema Tools -- a part of Apple's Final Cut Suite -- does indeed expect you to use 23.976. 

Apple's incorrect in using the 23.98 label.  You'd expect them to at least be consistently incorrect, BUT NOOOOO!

Isn't this stuff fun?

• 12. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                                deknk12 Level 1

That's what I thought but wanted to check. So. Much. Fun.

In continuing to play with this out of sheer frustration, I think I got it by rendering in AE as a jpg image sequence and then importing those individual files into FCP.

Not the idea way to do things but it appears to play at the proper rate.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

-Dave

• 13. Re: Warp Stabilizer Alters The Speed of My Footage!
                                  deknk12 Level 1

Just kidding. Wishful thinking....