14 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2013 4:24 AM by Harm Millaard

Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)

funkytwig Level 1

Hi, have looked through various forum posts and Passmark GPU benchmards to try to work out if it is worth upgrading my Geforce 550 Ti whitch is performing fairly well but sometimes I would like a little more power.  I also use Resolve 9 and this does not always play back smoothly (alough as it is basicaly for grading this is only a issue when I am in fromt of clients.

Anyway out of the suported cards, looking at the Geforce range (whitch seems toe best value for money) I have the following list, with best at the top (in brackets is what look like used price and benchmark).

1) Gefore GTX 580 (£190, 4,960)

2) Geforce GTX 570 (£100, 4,350)

3) Geforce GTX 470 (£75, 3,548)

4) Geforce GTX 550 It (£50, 1,924)

5) Gefore 285 (< £50, 1,251)

So to me it looks like the Gefore 570 is the one to go for,  be great to here what people think.

I would however be very interested to know if the 570 is significantly better than the 470 and if the 580 is significantly better then the 570.

I am on a budget as business is verry slow which is why I am looking at used prices, alough I may get new.

Ben

• 1. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 2. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally, I would not bother to upgrade to another old board.  Be careful that you have adequate power as moving up in the 4xx and 5xx series requires much more power, where the 6xx series in much more power efficient.    Also your Passmark benchmark has no bearing on performance in Premiere.  Look at what is successful in our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5)

• 3. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
              funkytwig Level 1

ON, one think I would like to do is get something that is suported by Adobe, whitch my card is not.  My card is a 550 so I am a bit confused, I already have a 5xx so would not be upgrading to one.

You seem to be saying I change to a card not suported by Adobe, the list I have does not list any 6xx cards as suported, is there an updated list I am not aware of.  Also if they are more expensive I cant afford them.

I have looked at PMSM5 and have run it (I am funkytwig). Problem is there is only 1 other persom with a i5 using a 500 serise card so I cant come to any conclusions.

I am more intertested if anyone has done any more like for like comparisons where they only change graphics cards and leave other stuff the same.

Ben

• 4. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                funkytwig Level 1

Just found an interesting revew of the Nvida 600 range at http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-162/and it concludes the GTX 660 Ti is the one to go for. What are peoples thoughts on this.

• 5. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I just looked at your results, and you priority #1 should be your disk setup. Your video card is quite OK and spending money on a new video card in the 6xx range will maybe give you a marginal, almost immeasurable, performance increase, but the big bottleneck will still be your disk setup.If you want to spend money wisely, keep your video card and improve your disk setup. With your CPU and memory upgrading to a faster card is overkill. The video card will be held back by the rest of your system. Not worth the money.

For a small comparison of video cards, look at Video Card Performance and scroll down till you see the chart on this page.

• 6. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)

funkytwig wrote:

ON, one think I would like to do is get something that is suported by Adobe, whitch my card is not.  My card is a 550 so I am a bit confused, I already have a 5xx so would not be upgrading to one.

You seem to be saying I change to a card not suported by Adobe, the list I have does not list any 6xx cards as suported, is there an updated list I am not aware of.  Also if they are more expensive I cant afford them.

I have looked at PMSM5 and have run it (I am funkytwig). Problem is there is only 1 other persom with a i5 using a 500 serise card so I cant come to any conclusions.

I am more intertested if anyone has done any more like for like comparisons where they only change graphics cards and leave other stuff the same.

Ben

Having a so called "supported card" does nothing to improve performance.  Harm's reference to that plot of my results shows yes going for instance to a GTX 660 will improve your performance slightly but your high Disk I/O score needs the most improvement.  You never will get very far up the performance list with that i5-3550 because while it does have four cores, it does not offer hyperthreading which for instance an i7-3770 (which was used to collect that graphic card data) would have.  Have you tuned your system to get rid of unecessary programs and processes?.

• 7. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                      RjL190365 Level 4

funkytwig,

I agree with both Harm and Bill. Your system not only needs a faster disk setup, but also needs quite a bit of tweaking to get rid of some unnecessary processes. With that single 1TB hard disk as your project disk, your Disk I/O time should have been only about one-third what it measured out to - around 100-ish seconds, compared to the 344 seconds that had been reported on the PPBM5 results table.

And while you improve that disk setup and tuning, keep the GTX 550 Ti in your system. Going to anything higher would cost you much more money than is justified by the relatively small performance increase.

• 8. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                        funkytwig Level 1

Thanks for everybodyies reply.  So you are saying my RAID 0 array in unerperforming.  It is a USB 3 RAID 0 setup in a basic case, nothing fancy.  Blackmagic Speed Test is giving me around 180mb/s write and slightly more for read.  I seem to remember I have 2 * 2GB Seagate Baracuda 72000 drives in it.  It is around 66% full. Should I be getting more performance out f it?

Ben

• 9. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Ben,

Those RAID 0 2TB drives are definitely limited by the single USB 3.0 connection. The maximum practical transfer speed of a single USB 3.0 connection is only around 200 to 220 MB/s - slower than even a single SATA 3.0 Gbps connection (whose maximum practical bandwidth is 270 to 280 MB/s). What's more, USB is also only half-duplex, just like SATA: Data transfers can only go in one direction at a time. Worst of all, USB transfers eat up a lot more CPU cycles than SATA transfers do at a given transfer rate. All that will result in the significantly longer than expected Disk I/O times.

• 10. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                            funkytwig Level 1

OK, so any recomendations as to enclosures I should look at?  Something that will deliver better performance thas USB 3 without brerading the bank.  Just to clarify you are sdaying with baeacuda 7200 RAID 0USB 3 is the bottleneck and esat will give me better throughput?

Ben

• 11. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)

There are many different Seagate Barracuda drive.s for instance the fastest 7200 rpm drive made is the Seagate 7200.14 series.  For instance my ST2000DM001 drives give me PPBM6 Disk I/O performance write rate out of Premiere Pro CS6 of 180 MB/second even with the disk half full. There are many older or less capable Barracuda's being sold today so be aware.

With a pai of these disks in RAID 0 on SATA 3 you should get at least 340 MB/s I will have to test it but will try to get back with some data.

• 12. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                                funkytwig Level 1

My confusion is thus.  When I first got the setup I got around 200 MB/s out of the drive array, when it was empty.  I am now getting 180.  The interface is the same yet you are saying it is what is causing the bottleneck.  How come the interface used to deliver > 200mb/s but now is delivering 180.  The 15 years experience I have in IT (before I was a video producer) teaches me that if a interface delivered 200 MS/s in the past and yhe throughput fell to 180 acums rasor dictate it is the drive that is slower.  Have I missed something?

• 13. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)

Well I just ran an experiment to see if I could verify my estimate of 2 each ST2000DM001 drives to achieve my estimated 340 MB/sec on SATA III interfaces.  Yes, I was a little optimistic and I actually measured 322 MB/sec.  But to answer your question of 200 MB/sec falling to 180 MB/sec.  It is quite possible especially if the disk drives were blank disk drives and now you have data on them.  First of all drive transfer rates decrease as you have more data on them as you start using the inner tracks.  Also I believe even drives with deleted files will have slightly slower transfer rates as the drive has to overwrite the deleted data.  I believe I have data showing the start up transfer rate on a "used" disk is slower than an absolutely clean disk.  You might have to write all zeros to that array and see if you can regain your 200 MB/sec, but you can see your interface is limiting the disk drive speeds.  And my 60 years of electronics experience trumps your 15.

• 14. Re: Upgrading GeForce 550 Ti, where to go next (CS6)
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem with single disks and even with smaller raid arrays in the impact of the 'fill rate'. On a new empty disk the transfer rate is 100% but after using it for some time and having more data on the disk(s) the fill rate goes up.Once you have around 50% of the disk space in use, your transfer rates start to degrade noticeably  and when the fill rate goes up to 80% or more it really starts to degrade even more to around 50% of the original speed.