4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 9:41 AM by Joel Cherney

InDesign > Export > HTML > Book

LEJGraphics

Is it possible to EXPORT to HTML all files within a book as one html file?

• 1. Re: InDesign > Export > HTML > Book
          Ellis home Level 4

As far as I know, you can export the book to ePub. Then change the file extension to zip and when you extract the files you'll have the whole package for the book: CSS, fonts, images, HTML.

• 2. Re: InDesign > Export > HTML > Book
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That would still result in multiple HTML files which brings me to the

real question....why would you want an HTML file that large?

Bob

• 3. Re: InDesign > Export > HTML > Book
              LEJGraphics Level 1

Thanks for the posts.

The goal is to provide our copy desk with a (one) document that maintains formatting without images. I created a 32 page magazine using the book function in InDesign (because there are multiple designers who submit their spreads/layouts to me when complete). I am the keeper of the book. Once all layouts are complete, the text must go to the copy desk. It is too much of a heavy lift to try to keep the word docs up to date with editors constantly editing, designers editing, etc. Copy desk works in word.

There is no command to export the book to HTML (at least that I can find). I can export each individual spread or component of the book, but not the book as a whole, ending up with multiple html docs. Ultimate end result is one file to copy desk.

I ended up moving the pages from the book to a 32-page InDesign doc, and export to HTML. More work than was hoping for.

• 4. Re: InDesign > Export > HTML > Book
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yikes! Sounds like a thorny workflow.

Is there some material reason why you need to present a single contiguous document to the copy desk? A series of numbered files wouldn't work?

Is there some reason why you want the copy desk to get HTML instead of, say, RTF?

It is too much of a heavy lift to try to keep the word docs up to date with editors constantly editing, designers editing, etc. Copy desk works in word.

Look into WordsFlow by Em Software.

If I absolutely had to merge all of the Word files for a given book into a single document, I'd use a VBA to do that in Word, and allow InDesign to spit out its default one-exported=document-per-InDesign-story.

Also, instead of using the Book feature, I'd suggest that you look into placing your designers' pages as INDDs into another InDesign file.