10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2018 4:47 AM by plux.97671101

After Effects crashes when opening project

dh91 Level 1

Hey guys.

I was working on a project just fine until when I went to open it this morning. When I open it, AE crashes with either this message:

Snap 2013-05-03 at 01.43.35.png

OR this message:

Snap 2013-05-03 at 02.04.36.png

and finally ends with a message like this:

Snap 2013-05-03 at 01.44.01.png

There are no special plugins being utilized in the project I am working in, only several Illustrator files. I'm not sure how dynamic link has anything to do with this because i'm not using it with Premiere Pro. All I know is that the project worked fine when I closed it last night, and now this is happening. It's a paid job as well, so it's very important that I can open it again.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CS6 and my video card drivers. Just to be clear, AE opens just fine, it's only opening this specific project that gives the crash.

Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate (updated)

Core i7 3770k

GeForce GTX 570 1.2 gb

16 gb ram

256gb SSD

1TB media drive

Thanks guys. I hope you can help me out.

Dan

• 1. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
          Netcommercial Level 1

Just thinking... Try rolling back your Win update. I was reading where the last win update was causing computers to cycle their boot. Over and over. Not that, THAT is your issue, however you will rule out the last update.

Your rig is fine for size

• 2. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
            dh91 Level 1

Hey Netcommercial,

I don't think it can be that. The computer has been at its last update for several days with no problems, and other projects open just fine.

In fact, I just brought the project over into OS X, and After Effects also crashed when trying to open the project. It didn't even give me crash warnings, it just went.

This isn't good at all. A job is relying on this project file and it would take many hours to rebuild it. In terms of complexity, it only had a few compositions, nothing too major. I was able to load more complex projects with no issues.

If someone from the Adobe team has any idea what these errors mean, that would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not the Adobe team, but the errors are all listed here:

http://www.myleniumerrors.com

Doesn't do you much good, though. The errors themselves are too vague and generic. Other than that try the usual - flush the media and disk cache, open the proejct with capslock enabled, import it into an empty project. also offline your footage source by renaming/ moving the folder, then manually use File --> Replace. If it's a specific file, that way you can find out which one... And finally, in the future learn the fine art of making back-ups and using versioning:

Work File Safety

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                dh91 Level 1

Hey Mylennium,

I'm reading through the link you provided. I tried everything you mentioned on here, including offlining the files, but it still crashes AE when importing. One of the error messages (the one with Dynamic link) mentions Premiere, but there is no dynamic link used in the file. It makes no sense when the file was working perfectly the day before...

• 5. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                  dh91 Level 1

I'd just like to mention that I tried opening the project file on my laptop and it opened with no problem.

So what's going on here? AE opens other projects just fine, but not this one. Is this error related to something hardware on my computer?

• 6. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                    dh91 Level 1

I removed the graphics card from my system and switched to integrated but the problem remains. Does this rule out the graphics card? Or does the system still use the graphics drivers?

• 7. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If it opens elsewhere, some specific plug-in might be involved. Anyway, I saw your post on Video CoPilot and you might do what Klaus did - open the file on the other system, disable all effects, try to open it.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                        Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

There were just standard plugins involved and it seems the file still didn't open. Like the error message is saying: "Strange Situation"

• 9. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                          dh91 Level 1

Okay, I was able to get into the file once i got the assets to go offline. I then did as you said earlier and relinked them and lo and behold, a single illustrator file was crashing everything. No idea why, but after tearing my system apart im glad i have the culprit.

• 10. Re: After Effects crashes when opening project
                            plux.97671101

i also have an error but mine is different :

i had my old pc with windows 7 and saved my project file

i got a new pc with win 10 same plugins and everything reinstalled and when i try importing the project file it loads up to 94% and then it says "after effects not responding" then it ends ae

i connected my old pc with it again and the project file was working perfectly

i tried again on my new pc with win 10 same file it crashes at 94%

should i de update to win 7 again?