5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 9:30 AM by Rik Ramsay

Saving InDesign files as HTML

matthewbailey850

URGENT!

Hi,

I need to set up and save documents in ID and save them as HTML to be used in email so that all elements - text boxes, text, pics, positions, styles etc - are retained and not lost.

Surely this must be easy?

I can't get it to work when I EXPORT as HTML. what am I missing?

I appreciate your swift help

Matt B

• 1. Re: Saving InDesign files as HTML
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the InDesign forum. They will be able to help you here.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving InDesign files as HTML
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

matthewbailey850 wrote:

You, I, and scores of other code-challenged designers wish it was!

When generating HTML layouts for email "blasts," there's no substitute for old-fashioned, CSS-independent, inline HTML tagging; and there's no visual layout tool that will do it for you. I'd advise you to forget about InDesign for this. In my opinion, Dreamweaver is the correct tool, but the learning curve for print designers is substantial. Email-compatible HTML is a special animal, as email clients vary even more widely than web browsers in their rendering capabilities and idiosyncrasies.

• 3. Re: Saving InDesign files as HTML
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

matthewbailey850 wrote:

I need to set up and save documents in ID and save them as HTML to be used in email so that all elements - text boxes, text, pics, positions, styles etc - are retained and not lost.

Surely it is not. This is not the way ID works with HTML.

You'd be better served, most likley with Constant Contact or MailChimp or something similar if you need HTML mail blasts.

• 4. Re: Saving InDesign files as HTML
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'd be better served, most likley with Constant Contact or MailChimp or something similar if you need HTML mail blasts.

Funny, I always neglect to consider those as editing environments; probably because I only ever paste Dreamweaver code. But, for the under-initiated, and depending on the desired result, I suppose building  pages in their interface is an option.

• 5. Re: Saving InDesign files as HTML
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

As the others have mentioned, this will never produce the desired result for email marketing. I think John covered this but HTML email is a unique animal all by itself - it can challenge even the most seasoned web developer because you have to deal with different email clients and not browsers - email clients are far tricker to code for. You need to use tables, inline CSS and ensure the code is as clean as can be. Dreamweaver (or other HTML coder) is definitely the way to go - forget InDesign and instead use Photoshop for the images.

Peter's suggestion of Mail Chimp is a good one as they have a huge amount of ready made templates that have been tested in all these email clients - you just add the images and content. If you want to go it your own way, this would be a good place to start: http://htmlemailboilerplate.com/

For reference you can also check out: http://24ways.org/2009/rock-solid-html-emails/. If you do decide to do this, I would then travel over to the Dreamweaver forum and ask any further questions there.

Sorry. I'm sure this is not the answer you wanted.

Rik