Diving into Edge and jQuery with a Flash and AS3 background, I would like to give feedback about difficulties I encounter studying the Edge API, believing the answers will benefit to others.
1) Edge Animate Triggers, Events and Actions
• A few properties of an event object are mentionned : e.target, e.originalEvent, e.compId. Why not listing them exhaustively (or a least giving a link to the API of such an event object) ?
It took me a certain time to find on the web how to express what in AS3 comes down to <eventObject>.target.name to
var elem, evt = e ? e : event;
if (evt.srcElement) elem = evt.srcElement;
else if (evt.target) elem = evt.target;
(not being sure there is nothing simpler)
• Different categories of events are mentionned, among which composition-level DOM events and page-level DOM events. It would be greatly helpful if the two levels where clarified, with the relations between the two (or again a link to a page clarifying this).
• Timeline events : update, play, complete, stop. This single list is rather lean ! I already started a thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5246740#5246740) to get more information, but in vain. If play, complete and stop may be considered self-explanatory, update is not clear : which rate is it fired ?
• “compositionReady fires after the composition is ready to play, but before autoPlay occurs.“
This is the only place where this event (it is an event ?) is mentionned.
- “he sym variable is more durable when you use things like setTimeout.“
- “You can compare this to the comId passed to the actions function closure.“
- “Other mouse events will be simulated if the click event is bound.“
2) Work with symbols
• “The child elements of a symbol instance are owned by that symbol and are referred to as Actors.“
This is the only place where the term “Actor“ is mentionned.
• It could be emphasized that there is a <CompositionObject>createSymbolChild() method, not to be confused with the <SymbolObject>.createChildSymbol (!!!), the latter having an additional z_index parameter.
• // Hide the element "paw" from within a nested symbol
It looks like the second occurrence of sym is one to many !?
• Finally, to make matters worse, the french translation of this page is rough, even broken.
“a child symbol instance of "kittenpaw_sym" inside the element "kitten""
should be translated by : instance du symbole “kittenpaw_sym“, enfant de l’élément "kitten".
and not : instance de symbole enfant de "kittenpaw_sym" dans l’élément "kitten".
that has a different meaning and is very confusing. On several occasions, I tried to get in touch with the Adobe ––even Macromedia— French team about poor translations of the docs, but in vain ; is there a way to help improving, which would benefit the french-speaking community ?