5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2013 3:15 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I sync video and audio with music?

retromike2

I'm making a film where I have recorded the video and audio with one device, and I have successfully imported this into Premiere Elements. I want to add music to this project that can be synced to specific video parts. For example, say 15 minutes into the film, I want a specific song to play at the same time. My problem, is that since I'm not done importing all the video, everytime I import new video (and/or even edit it) before the hypothetical 15 minute part, the music becomes out of sync. I understand it's because I'm changing the length of the video. What I want to do is to "link" or "sync" (I'm not sure what the difference between the two is) the music to video/audio clips, so that any editing done on earlier clips will not move the music out of sync with the specific video I want it to correspond with.

I've tried linking the video/audio to the music file, but it won't let me, the "Link Audio and Video" button is faded so I can't click it. I've also tried unlinking the video and audio, and then linking the video to the music, and although it lets me do that, if I add a video/audio file before this, then it will still be out of sync.

I basically need the music to stay with a corresponding video and series of videos.

• 1. Re: How do I sync video and audio with music?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

retromike2

Please consider the following in what you want to accomplish:

Make sure that you working from the expanded Timeline (See - + slider above Timeline)

1. If you have video and audio clips unlinked and you want to nudge the audio to be in sync with the video

For a one frame nudge, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and use the left or right arrow key for that 1 frame nudge.

For a five frame nudge, hold down the Shift+Alt key of the computer main keyboard and use the left or right arrow key for that 5 frame nudge.

2. If you want to link video to audio, make sure that both the video and audio file are highlighted (selected) at the same time, then

Right click the highlight and select Link Audio and Video

(Note: to select both the video and audio file so that they are both highlighted at the same time, hold down the Shift key as you click the files.)

Please road test the above and let us know if any of those tips worked for you and are what you sought.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I sync video and audio with music?
            retromike2 Level 1

I'm sorry, I didn't explain my problem clearly. What I want to do is link the already linked video/audio to a music file that was placed on the soundtrack. So that the music will not become out of sync as I edit.

• 3. Re: How do I sync video and audio with music?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

retromike2

Thanks for the clarification.

Have you looked at the following? It seems to fit what you just detailed, and it works for me.

Assuming that you have a file with video on Video 1 and audio on Audio 1 and that the audio on Audio 1 is linked to the video on Video 1.

Further you have music on the Soundtrack below that file and you want to keep that Soundtrack with the Video 1 and Audio 1 linked content.

a. Holding down the Shift key of the computer main keyboard, click on each of the files (vVideo 1, Audio 1, Soundtrack) so that they are all selected together.

b. Then right click the highlight and, in the pop up list, select Group.

c. You can Upgroup in a similar fashion.

Please give that a try. If I misinterpreted what you requested, please let me know and I will re-think.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I sync video and audio with music?
                retromike2 Level 1

Hi ATR, I had tried that same solution previously (to group the video/audio with the soundtrack) and when I cut or added new video clips on Sceneline view, the problem still existed. However, this time I cut and/or added new video when I was on the Timeline view, and it stayed in sync and the problem is solved. Many thanks for your help on this.

• 5. Re: How do I sync video and audio with music?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

retromike2

Thanks for the great news and follow up.

Typically I suggest the use of the Timeline view instead of the Sceneline view. And, if one wants the Sceneline for whatever reason to use it with no toggling between Timeline and Scenelie.

My thoughts on that revolve around:

Timeline gives you more control since you can see better what is going on.

In several scenerios, the Sceneline will not always reflect the Timeline view.

Continued success with your projects.

ATR