6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2013 9:59 AM by W.D.E.

After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow

W.D.E. Level 1

Hello,

For those of you using After Effects to manipulate Premiere Pro edits, I would like to present the workflow I figured out to check if it makes sense (and if not, if possible, have some input on what would be a better workaround).

Dynamic linking comps from AE into Premiere makes it impossible to satisfactory play the footage back in the Premiere timeline: it just freezes all the time and several frames are skipped (it renders fine, just to be clear). Trying to get a good grasp of the overall feeling and pace of the sequence, or check the effectiveness of some AE adjustment within the scene, is frutrasting.

Also, for some reason I don´t understand (any hints?), using the Rolling Shutter Repair in Premiere for previews has proved to be a threat to my machine: even in cool environments where just everything else seems to work just fine, my CPU will give me overheating warnings, no matter how little demanding the Repair settings are or how short the take is. The very same effect in AE, with the same settings, works perfectly fine.

Here´s the workflow:

1. Select in the Premiere timeline the shot(s) to be manipulated in AE.

2. Copy the shot(s) to another sequence in the same project in Premiere (created just for AE exports, for example).

3. Right click on the shot(s) in the separate sequence > "Replace With After Effects Composition".

4. Manipulate the footage in AE.

5. Render the final composition using "Best Settings" and "Lossless" (can´t afford to lose any information, the material is for big screens).

6. Import the final shot back into Premiere and replace the original in the "master" sequence with the new one (but keep the original, dynamic linked shot, in the separate Premiere sequence, so that AE has access to it and I can go back to step 4 above later, if needed, without starting from scratch).

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

My System:

i7 3770K

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe

MSI GTX Geforce 660TI Power Edition

GSkill DDR3 1600 - 8MB x 2

Windows 7 Home Premium

• 1. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If DynamicLink works for you, this sounds reasonable. As someone implicitly not trusting DL and trying to avoid it where I can, I would probably do it similarly using extra exports/ placeholders. For your hardware issues you might check your device manager and check your BIOS. Temperature warnings often point to voltage issues or the energy managemnt of the motehrboard not working, which could be due to a specific driver or management app being missing. And of course do open up the box and check the hardware. a simple lose screw on the cooler body that allows some insulating layer of air to seep in or not enough thermal guidance gel can be just as bad as a simple dust flake slowing down a fan...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

A couple of side notes:

1. You don't have to keep your dynamically linked comp in a dedicated PrPro sequence so as to be able to get back to according AE project. If 'Include Project Link' checkbox in the Output Module Settings dialog box was ticked, then you can just right-click your intermediate in PrPro timeline and choose 'Edit Original' - AE starts with according project opened, no needs to rebuild anything from scratch.

2. You can set your rendered intermediate as a proxy for dynamically linked comp inside AE project. This way you can enjoy the best of both worlds, instantly switching between rendered DI and tweakable composition with just one click with no needs to replace anything in PrPro timeline. Works fine as long as you have reasonable amount of dynamically linked comps in PrPro timeline, current state of Dynamic Link is not supposed to work with hundreds of ones.

See also this thread in PrPro Forum about 'AE style Placeholders and Proxies' feature request. Do not hesitate to submit your own one if you want to get it implemented.

• 3. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
              W.D.E. Level 1

Hello Mr. Mylenium, I agree with you, I wouldn´t say DL really works for me, it just makes it faster to send the trimmed shot to AE, but that´s about it, I guess. That´s why I use the workaround. It would be wonderful, though, if DL really worked smoothly as I imagine would be the point of its existence.

I did open the machine recently to check if something was wrong due to the heating but found nothing. I´ve been working for a while on the same project in Premiere Pro and the only, exclusively cause, up until this moment, for the overheating warnings, is trying to playback a shot with the Rolling Shutter Repair applied to. What would you suggest to check in the BIOS?

Also, what do you mean by "extra exports/ placeholders"?

As for Mr. Barsik´s comments, I just keep the DL comps in a separate sequence to have them stored and away from my edit. I don´t keep them in the timeline, but the final rendered comp from AE instead. I do use the comp in the separate sequence to quickly access and edit it in AE, but only to export it from AE again afterwards and reimport as a new file.

As for the proxy suggestion, could you explain a little better how that would be?

Thanks a lot!

• 4. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Most BIOSes allow to set the temperature thresholds for the CPU before it is throttled down as well as fan speeds and also thresholds for hi/ lo voltage situations. For the CPU, temperature should default to 80°C. If yours is set lower, that may explain why you get those many warnings from your OS.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                  As for the proxy suggestion, could you explain a little better how that would be?

How placeholders and proxies work in After Effects you can see in this help section, link to which you could accordingly find in the feature request thread in PrPro Forum. The help section also provides links to additional resources about placeholders and proxies workflow. And the feature request is intended to get exactly the same efficient workflow in Premiere Pro.

I just keep the DL comps in a separate sequence to have them stored and away from my edit. I don´t keep them in the timeline, but the final rendered comp from AE instead. I do use the comp in the separate sequence to quickly access and edit it in AE, but only to export it from AE again afterwards and reimport as a new file.

I'm afraid you missed both points. When you render your digital intermediate out of dynamically linked comp, make sure this checkbox in the Output Module Settings dialog is checked (checked by default):

AE. Output Module Settings. Include Project Link.jpg

Then in PrPro timeline, when you replaced your dynamically linked composition with the rendered intermediate, select the intermediate, right-click and choose 'Edit Original'. After that think of whether you still need to store your dynamically linked composition in a separate PrPro sequence so as to get quick access to the After Effects project.

• 6. Re: After Effects<>Premiere Pro Workflow
                    W.D.E. Level 1

I get it now, Mr. Barsik. Will try that. Thanks!

As for the BIOS, I get the warning at around 74 degrees with the Rolling Shutter Repair, so Mr. Mylenium is probably right, but to be safe I´ll try to avoid messing around with that effect in Premiere. One wonders, though: why does the same effect in AE work fine and doesn´t demand as much from the CPU?

Thanks a lot!