5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 6:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't render in Premiere 3.0

k.langbehn

Video is DV.  Program is 41 minutes.  I have selected the work area, clicked on timeline - render work area and let it roll.  Only the first 2 minutes show the green line and a few little sections through out.  There is no red line.  I've exported to a couple different formats without complete rendering to see what it looked like and the quality is terrible.   I have checked each edit point for gaps and their clean.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Can't render in Premiere 3.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If there is no red line above your clips, you don't need to render your timeline. In version 3, raw DV does not need to be rendered before you add effects to it.

When you look under the Edit menu, what project setttings are listed?

What do you mean by "the quality is terrible"? Can you be more specific? Which Share format and resolution are you outputting as?

If you output at AVIs, the output should look identical to the input.

• 2. Re: Can't render in Premiere 3.0
            k.langbehn Level 1

Steve:  General project settings are standard settings I didn't change anything.  General editing mode: DV NTSC, frame size 720x480.  I have added dissolves, and wipes for effects.  The openning 2 minutes rendered showing a green line and in a few other spots but the majority is not "green".  The program is 42 minutes.  Video rendering under project settings is default.  The box "Maximum Bit Depth" is not checked.  Not sure if it should be.

I've exported as an .avi file and it looks fine.  When exported as a MPEG1 the video is all pixeled (sp) when enlarged to full screen.  When exported as a .wmv it is blurry and anything moving is jagged.  I think it should be much sharper, no jagged edges and at least close to the original after digitized to edit with.  My thought was to keep the size to fit a CD but think I'm loosing too much quality.  Or, because I do not have it all rendered (green line) and thought that was the reason for the quality loss.  

The program will be viewed on a PC and television, possibly even HD although the video is not HD.  I have not tried exporting to DVD yet.

Thanks for the effort here!

• 3. Re: Can't render in Premiere 3.0
              A.T. Romano Level 7

k.langbehn

With each of these export to file (.avi, .mpg, .wmv) has the frame size been width 720 pixels and height 480 pixels? Have you gone under the Advanced Button of the export preset and made changes?

If so, have you attempted to change the bitrate under the preset selected? If so, has this had any affect on the quality of the export?

A word or two about "rendering" and the need for it....reminder, the indicator system is used by the program to let you know if it feels that you need to render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview as viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor. There are some formats classed as "native formats". That means that they should not need rendering when first dragged to the Timeline. DV AVI is one of these native formats for Premiere Elements.

As such when you drag the DV AVI to the Timeline for the first time, you would not expect to see any colored line over its contents. But, once you edit the DV AVI, a red line will appear over the content to let you know the program feels that rendering is needed to get the best possible preview. After the rendering process is complete, the red line turns green (signifying that you are seeing the best possilbe preview. Thereafter only the red/green indicator system is used to let you know if the program believes that it is displaying the best possible preview. That "no colored line" over content is just for first drag native format.You cannot render a Timeline that has no colored line or a green line over its content. Hitting the Enter key under those circumstances results in playback, not rendering of the Timeline.

I have not looked at a Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 Update workspace in a long while. So, please detail your export choices and settings. There are field order setting among other things that I would like to check out besides the frames rates. One would expect pixelation in trying to take a 720 x 480 video to 1920 x 1080. Some TVs do have technology to optimatize DVD-VIDEO, but....

The usual...is your computer optimized, etc as well as your video card driver up to date? QuickTime latest version installed? And running Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 Update from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges?

Thanks for the follow up. We will be looking forward to further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't render in Premiere 3.0
                k.langbehn Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the insight.  I assumed it would select the best on it's own and I was afraid to make any adjustments.  Your comments have helped.  I did not try the bit rate change but will.  I assume the larger the better?

When exported to DVD it looks just fine and plan to distribute that way.  Everything I have is updated and performing well, PC related.  The field order settings is something I am not familiar with.  Frame rates show 29.7, should it be 30?  Nonetheless, the DVD quality is good.  WMV is soft but I have not had a chance to play with the settings.  It does take some time to format (save) at about 25minutes since it's a 41 minute program.  Not sure if that's normal.

The program version I have was bought at a garage sale so I do not have privilages nor have updates been done.  I plan to upgrade to the latest version soon so I do have all the support and updates available. 

Thank you for your help!

• 5. Re: Can't render in Premiere 3.0
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

k.langbehn

Thanks for the follow up.

With Premiere Elements 3.0, the essential was the installation which you can download free from Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

I would encourage you to install that update as soon as possible if you have not already.

The frame rate of 29.97 interlaced frames per second is standard for NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

Do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR