7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2013 10:01 PM by UlfLaursen

Good, Quiet Build for a student

JamieCullum

Hello,

I'm a young very enthusiastic student who is going to go into film school etc. At the moment i have a 7D and am wanting to make videos etc. But my laptop at the moment makes it impossible to produce a good video without there being ridiculously long render times and lag. I am wanting to build a really nice PC to use on programs like Premiere Pro, After Effects, Da Vinci Resolve, Red Giant software etc. I want a computer that can handle that with little fuss, I want to keep it around $2000 and i'm going half with my parents so are these specs good enough?? Also please note that i am a student who gets projects every now and again i use Dslr footage and would love to get into VFX etc. But at the moment i'm just a student who wants an editing machine, i think that the specs below are overkill and would really love for someone to make a spec sheet with a 3770k and the same case

Intel i7 3930k

$616

Asus Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Motherboard

$348

Fractal Design Refine R4

$148

Corsair H100i

$105.99

Corsair SP120mm Quiet Edition Fan Twin Pack

$27.99

2x Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD’s (Raid 0)

$290 ($145 per drive)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

$91

EVGA Geforce GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB

$427.99

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB Ram

$212.48 (106.24 per 16GB)

Corsair 860i PSU

$199.99

Windows 7 Pro System Builder

$135.98

I was thinking about the PC above as i whipped it together and its around $2500 and I think it would be absolutely amazing, but is it over kill for me. I'm rather amateur but i really love Photography and Videography and will improve over time. I personally have no clue if its overkill and if i should downgrade etc. Could you please suggest something that would be amazing for a beginner thats around $2000 dollars with a system thats downgraded slightly with a 3770k etc. I want it to last me a while and be queiet and fast Could you please also suggest a hard drive array that would be efficient etc. The more detail the better Sorry for so many questions any answers will be really apreciated. The system below is a different alternative that i think would probably suit me better but i still would love some advice on a hard-drive array etc. and also if that PSU is a good choice or is there a cheaper alternative that is also quiet?

Intel i7 3770k

$352

Asus P8z77-V Pro Motherboard

$229

Fractal Design Refine R4

$148

Corsair H100i

$95.99

Corsair SP120mm Quiet Edition Fan Twin Pack

$27.99

2x Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD’s (Raid 0)

$290 ($145 per drive)

2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

$182 (91 per drive)

EVGA Geforce GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB

$427.99

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB Ram

$212.48 (106.24 per 16GB)

Corsair 760i PSU

$185.99

Windows 7 Pro System Builder

$135.98

I'm not in a hurry to buy this so is my best bet to wait for the 4th gen Intel Processor??

• 1. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I want it to last me a while and be queiet and fast

Given that you mention Resolve, Red Giant and DSLR material, there is no doubt that the first machine, i7-3930K is the better one with much more expansion options in the future than the less costly i7-3770K. The extra two cores and the bigger L3 cache make quite a difference with Resolve and Red Giant. Additionally the 1155 socket precludes the use of a raid controller card, unless you accept a 10-15% performance penalty of the video card. Both machines will be fast and quiet, but the i7-3930K is clearly the faster and more future-proof machine.

• 2. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
            JamieCullum Level 1

Thanks Harm for your advice, do you know if i could make the first system cheaper? e.g. cheaper PSU but is quiet and fully modular, thats just an example Also do you have a recommondation on a Hard Drive Setup?? Also as a weird question how future proof are we talking because i would love a quiet setup that will last me a while as I repeat am a student who is passionate about Photography and Videography and am getting into making shorts etc.

• 3. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jamie,

If you want to shave of some $$$, I would not do that on the PSU. A good gold label PSU runs quieter than a bronze label, because of its higher efficiency and therefore can run the fan at lower speeds. If you want to save some money I would start with a single Samsung 840 Pro for OS & programs and get two Seagates instead. Also for the video card I would also look at the GTX 660 Ti instead of the 670. Last you could exchange the H100i for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. About equally effective for cooling, and no difference in sound, since the H100i uses two fans in the radiator and the Hyper 212 EVO uses two fans in push-pull configuration.

For further info, look at http://ppbm7.com/index.php/news/planning and all the following pages under Latest News.

• 4. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
                JamieCullum Level 1

So a single 128gb SSD? or a 256GB SSD for Operating System etc? And a Corsair AX 750 would be better?

• 5. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

A single 128 GB SSD is more than enough for OS & programs. SSD's don't suffer from fill rate degradation, like conventional HDD's. Corsair AX 750 is a great PSU. I use the AX 1200 myself, but my system is a bit more loaded. 2 SSD's, 2 BDR's and 25 HDD's, 680 OC, 64 GB 2180 DDR and CPU at 4.7 GHz and raid controller.

• 6. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
                    JamieCullum Level 1

Thanks Harm for your advice it's very much appreciated, one more question should I wait for Intel's 4th generation cpus I'm not in a rush at all well it be worth it and well there be a replacement to the 3930k?

• 7. Re: Good, Quiet Build for a student
                      UlfLaursen Level 2

I found this article saying a little bid about the new ones:

http://openw3.com/2013-4th-gen-intel-core-processors-time-to-upgrade.html

As far as I read it, it will mostly be powersaving you will get out of it, so maybe you will gain most of it in the laptops?

Ulf