3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2013 10:16 AM by Duke Green

Premiere Elements 11, Windows 8, Was Working Fine, Now 'Has Stopped Working'

Duke Green Level 1

I have just finished a project successfully, burned a BluRay with acceptable result, then shut down for the night. While viewing the BluRay, I saw a couple of glitches I wanted to fix, and the menu did not appear, so re-opened the project this morning. Thinking a stop marker would fix the menu not re-appearing, I inserted one at where I thought the end of my video was. I then found an unnecessary clip at the end that had slipped by me, making the end of the video longer, and likely the problem with the main menu not coming back. I deleted the clip. I rendered, saved, and played, but the playback wouldn't start. I closed and restarted about 5 times, same result. Now, Premiere Elements does not start at all, I get the splash screen, then the Windows box saying the program has stopped working and Windows will be in touch with me when they find a solution. Any ideas? I de-selected a sound device in Control Panel while the program was running, but have undone that action and the program will not start. I appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Windows 8, Was Working Fine, Now 'Has Stopped Working'
          Duke Green Level 1

I did a complete uninstall/reinstall, same result. I tried a search for recent files that had been changed, deleted some (renamed, actually), I get the same thing. Thanks

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Windows 8, Was Working Fine, Now 'Has Stopped Working'
            A.T. Romano Level 7

what

First, Stop Markers placed on a Timeline that is heading for burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc is not functional at play back of the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc with the Blu-ray player. Never has been for Premiere Elements (any version).

NEVER, place a stop marker at the end of any Timeline heading for burn to Blu-ray or DVD-VIDEO. That is highly problematic and typically end in burn to failure.

Let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and see what that gets us in order to get Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit to launch.

The path to the file is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you have active Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in order to see the complete path.

As for the disappearing menu, keep in mind that not all players will play the menu, example VLC player. So, we will need more details on that if we are to pursue that aspect of the playback situation.

Please check out the above and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...do you still have an intact Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. If necessary, we should be able to recover the BDMV/Stream Folder/.m2ts video and use it in a new Premiere Elements project if manage to launch Premiere Elements and start a new project.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Windows 8, Was Working Fine, Now 'Has Stopped Working'
              Duke Green Level 1

ATR, thanks for the quick response. I tried some of your suggestions (from another related issue) in troubleshooting this one.

Good info on the stop marker, I will remove it.

Long story short, I have managed to re-install the program and get it to start. After the third time, the combination seems to be to Remove my preferences, Remove downloaded content, and Deactivate Product. I was reluctant to do the deactivation checkbox, I downloaded the program and was concerned about being locked out, Adobe thinking this was another illegal install.

I started the program gently (giving things a long time to load, light on the hard drive being the main indicator) and was able to reload the video that seemed to cause the problem. Rendered, played, edited, no problems at this point.

As to what may have caused the trouble initially, I'm not sure. I have speakers run off the analog onboard sound, with a microphone connected. I also have a USB headset w/ microphone that I use for narration and latenight listening. These devices don't seem to know about each other, and changing their status in Control Panel does not translate to a current Elements session. In Elements preferences, I enabled the analog speakers. From there, things went downhill. The sound wouldn't play, then the play would not start the video in editor, then the program would not start at all.

I really like this program so far. I used Elements 1 and 2 way back when (with a computer to end all computers) to get all of our VHS recordings onto digital media. I did some editing and made some videos, then got away from it for a few years. We started diving and I got a GoPro camera. It didn't take too long to figure out the computer I had wouldn't do it for the new video formats. So, I now have the computer to end all computers to take care of the task. This has been the first glitch I've had in Elements 11. I expected a great deal more trouble with Windows 8.

Anyway, thanks again. If I find a recurring issue here, I will be sure to post it.