9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 6:41 AM by A.T. Romano

How to record audio via a USB microphone?

guitarkatie

I am trying to capture video (via my built in web cam) and audio of myself playing a musicial intrument and singing at the same time. I am operating on a Macbook pro and I have a condensor microphone hooked up to my computer via a USB interface. I have the microphone initiated under my computer settings but I don't know how to make sure that the program knows I want to use the microphone from the USB interface and records the audio from this source and not the built in microphone from the computer. How do I set up my microphone within Adobe premier elements 11 so that it is recognized?

Also, if I am recording it via one microphone through one channel, how do I hear it back in both of my headphones and not just one.

THANKS!

• 1. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, PrE works with some USB mics, but not that many.

Have you tried a mic, that attaches to the computer via a 1/8" connection, into the MoBo, or the sound card?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
            guitarkatie Level 1

I got a condensor microphone ( bluebird by blue) that I am hooking up to the computer via an interface. I am trying to get a live recording of myself playing guitar and singing at the same time and then upload the recording of this to youtube. When I record it and then play it back, I am only hearing the audio that was recorded in the left ear and I want to be able to hear it in the right ear. I have tried looking this up but I have some confusion whether this would be a mono to stereo conversion or vice versa. I also have read conflicting reports on whether this program is able to covert files of this kind. I tried searching for the fill left/ fill right effect since I read that this is the effect I neeeded to hear the audio in both ears but was unable to find it. I'm new at this so any help is appreciated! Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are only hearing audio out of the left channel, this indicates that you're using a monaural microphone.

You can use the Fill from Left or Fill from Right audio effect to pan the sound across both channels. It won't be true stereo, but it will be heard in both channels.

• 4. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                guitarkatie Level 1

Where is the fill from left or fill from right buttons located? I've looked under everything and can't find them.

• 5. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

guitarkatie

I am strictly an Elements Windows person, nonetheless Premiere Elements 11 Windows and Mac are much alike in spite of some differences.

So please explore the following route to get to the audio effects that you seek:

Click on Effects Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements Expert view interface

You should see Advanced Adjustments (at top of list)...go through the list until you get to Audio Effects

Click on Audio Effects where you find included the Fill from left Effect and the Fill from right Effect.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Premiere Elements 11 Effects Reference. The listing points out the  Windows Only choices. As you will see Fill from Left and Fill from Right audio effect are not listed Windows Only.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS4B8135DA-083C-42eb-B09E-65070ECBC889. html#WSeffff8bffc802084cc1873012fdd6069b3-8000

• 6. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                    guitarkatie Level 1

so does this mean that I do not have the fill left/ fill right effect option since I am using a Mac?

• 7. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

guitarkatie

As you will see Fill from Left and Fill from Right audio effect are not listed Windows Only.

As per what I wanted to imply by what I wrote was, I believe that you should have the Fill to Left and Fill to Right audio effects in the Effects for Premiere Elements 11 Mac which I believe is your version of Premiere Elements and computer operating system.

DId you look in Effects for these two audio effects? Did you not find them?

PE11AudioEffects.JPG

Bottom right of your Premiere Elements 11 Expert view interface.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                        guitarkatie Level 1

I was able to find them thanks to your diagram! My only other question is if I am hearing the audio in the left ear do I hit fill left or fill right or both in order to hear it in both ears?

Thank you so much!

• 9. Re: How to record audio via a USB microphone?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

gitarkatie

The Fill from Left and Fill from Right audio effects for Premiere Elements 11 (Effects Reference) are described

Fill Left, Fill Right

The Fill Left effect duplicates the left channel information of the audio clip and places it in the right channel, discarding the original clip’s right channel information. The Fill Right effect duplicates the right channel information and places it in the left channel, discarding the existing left channel information. For example, you might use this effect on footage shot with a monaural microphone plugged into only one channel of a camcorder, extending the voice of a speaker from one channel to both.

See if the "Fill from Left" works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

ATR