6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 6:39 PM by dlszung

Writing Keywords to file

dlszung

Are catalog categories and sub categories written to photo file or just key words?   When looking at a catalogue hierarcy how do I know what is a key word and not a category or sub category?

• 1. Re: Writing Keywords to file
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Catalog categories? Please explain what are these?

If you mean tag categories then no, if you have applied a tag "Tim" to a file which is under "Family" category in tag panel, writing metadata to file will just write "Tim" in the image's IPTC metadata.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 2. Re: Writing Keywords to file
            dj_paige Level 10

Are catalog categories and sub categories written to photo file or just key words?

By default, none of these are written to the photos. Keywords are not written to the files either, by default.

I believe that if you choose to use the command File->Write Tags, then all of these are written to the files. Why don't you try it yourself and find out?

• 3. Re: Writing Keywords to file
              dlszung Level 1

Using PSE 7.   In organizer can create create new categories, sub categories, and keyword tags.  But when I look at my hierarchy created over a number of years, how can I tell which are the keyword tags and can be written to the photo file?  

I've come to the conclusion that I should only use multiple keyword tags and not PSE Categories since cannot be written to the file (securely preserved). 

• 4. Re: Writing Keywords to file
                andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

They can be written o metadata. You can drag drop a keyword tag category on media and write to its metadata using File > Save Metadata to File. There is no difference between a tag and its category when it comes to saving in metadata.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 5. Re: Writing Keywords to file
                  dj_paige Level 10

I've come to the conclusion that I should only use multiple keyword tags and not PSE Categories since cannot be written to the file (securely preserved).

What evidence leads you to this conclusion?

• 6. Re: Writing Keywords to file
                    dlszung Level 1

After I realized that the organizer information is independent of the photo file (unless written), I wrote the keywords to the photo files and then used an EXIF viewer to view the keywords. I found some the organizer entries were not written to the file.  For example under Event I created Christmas and under Christmas created Christmas 2012.  Christmas 2012 was written to the photo file but Event and Christmas were not.   The problem is that I have to look at various photos to figure out what is written and what is not.  I have not been able to find a way to examine the hierarchy itself and see if an entry is a keyword.   I may not need Christmas but want to make sure information I need will be written to the file.